The only area where I still like a mid iron is for low punch shots to get back into play when in the trees. I feel like I can choke down on my 6i and play the ball back of stance and hit that low trap draw with it. with a 5 or 6 hybrid that is a tough play because the ball wants to get up so fast. at the end of last season I was working on hitting low punches with choked down 5 and 7 woods though and it seemed to be pretty effective.

I have a Cobra King OS 5i that is 24*. I actually thought about shortening it an inch and just using it as punch out club. that would put me to 15 clubs though and clutter my bag too much lol Plus I didn't want to rock the 14 club limit boat
I know exactly what you're talking about, because I've attempted to do that in the past when I was using a 5h. I could hit a really nice punch with a fairway wood if needed, but it's much easier with an iron.

I know exactly what you're talking about, because I've attempted to do that in the past when I was using a 5h. I could hit a really nice punch with a fairway wood if needed, but it's much easier with an iron.
The key I guess is to not hit it into the trees and not worry about the punch out club :)

I am giving serious thought to getting a G430 7H as well. It should give me about a 120-125 yard shot which will stop on the greens that I play. If I do so, I'll gap to the 9i (which would make my 9-iron a "1-iron", LOL).
Well I did it today.....ordered a G430 7H! After several Trackman sessions this winter, I've concluded that I cannot reliably hit a 7i high enough to stop on the green so out it goes. As of now, I'm planning to gap to the 8i, and after some changes in my wedges my bag should look as follows:

D-5W-5H-6H-7H-8i-9i-46*-52*-58*-P for 11-clubs. I may also include a chipper making it 12.

Last edited:
If Callaway made the 6 super hybrid in left handed I absolutely would. To start the season I have the 4h & 5h both set to +2°. I need to do some work on gapping distances with my transition between 6i & hybrids once I have some practice time in. Having the 6h I think would fit the numbers easier. But they don’t so I don’t.

Well I did it today.....ordered a G430 7H! After several Trackman sessions this winter, I've concluded that I concluded that I cannot reliably hit a 7i high enough to stop on the green so out it goes. As of now, I'm planning to gap to the 8i, and after some changes in my wedges my bag should look as follows:

D-5W-5H-6H-7H-8i-9i-46*-52*-58*-P for 11-clubs. I may also include a chipper making it 12.
I've been playing a 6+7h for a while now.....just for the height issue mentioned. I presently go D-5w-9w-11w-6h-7h- 8/9/pw Eleven hybrids- 3 wedges-putter.

I’ve played one, but it was way before I had an iron fitting. I actually had a Mizuno 7 hybrid too. That was a fun club.

I picked up a used Paradym 6 for fun. liked it. Bagged it permanently. Picked up a G430 4H to replace the 9 wood in the wind and soft grounds of spring. The gap between the 6 and 4 is not overly large and can be easily covered (187 carry 6H, 204 carry G430) Gap between 7I and 6H is about the same, 171 carry on 7I. I would like the gaps to be a bit tighter, but I think I can live with this setup.

Last edited:
Been hitting my 6i better at the range this spring, but still considering a 6h as the 7H I bought years ago because I thought it would be fun to hit still can creep up to a tighter gap than I would like.

Back