Do your irons feel too heavy? Mine kind of do... Any advice?

Weezel

- Formerly @HighLevelHacker -
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I got fitted about 1.5 years ago and love my irons. But for some reason, I feel at times they're too heavy....or at least the head of my irons feel heavy. Is there a way to make them feel lighter without changing anything? Is the only option to trim the shaft a small amount to make the swing weight feel lighter? Or can I do anything with the head? I have no idea in any of this and these may be horrible questions. Lol.

I feel if my irons felt a little lighter, I could have more control of my backswing and downswing. I go over the line at the top and in the downswing, I feel like I can't get it where I need the clubface to go. But at the same time, I feel like the weight it's at now, it gives a pendulum feel where I just let the club head fall and the momentum helps get the ball in the air properly and gives distance.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

What's your build like? Heads & shafts?

After moving from extra stiff 130, 120gm steel shafts to lightweight graphite last year, the feel is a big change.

Went from feeling the whole club to really noticing the head.

Mine were and I switched to lighter shafts and irons. Noticed a huge difference.

What's your build like? Heads & shafts?

After moving from extra stiff 130, 120gm steel shafts to lightweight graphite last year, the feel is a big change.

Went from feeling the whole club to really noticing the head.
I have the Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal - 2 degrees flat - NS Pro 950 GH Neo Regular Flex Steel Shaft (94.5g) - Don't know the swing weight, dang it...

What shafts are you playing in your irons.
NS Pro 950 GH Neo Regular Flex Steel Shaft (94.5g)

I feel like it's the weight in the head because that's not that heavy. I'm not that weak. haha!

Maybe try to add a little weight at the grip end. Put a weight under the butt end of the grip or some lead tape near the bottom to try it quick.

Swing more upright so the shaft is more vertical. It makes the club lighter during the backswing.

Maybe you’re using to much arms.

I felt this way with my wedges and I added a heavier grip and made it feel much more balanced

SW will be in the high C’s or low D’s stock, next would be weights they added which Mizuno usually uses brass spikes to get to a typical SW probably D1 or D2. Overall length would be the next question as that would be the quickest was to add the feel of a heavy SW, total weight shouldn’t be an issue unless you’re use to 80g or less shafts.
Without drilling the heads to reduce weight you won’t find it other than pulling tip weights if any were used.

If your irons are bent flat it will add approx 1 swing weight point to the overall club swingweight , do you have a way to check them , ie a golf store of some sort with a fairly competent fitter ??? Or , when you re-grip you can add lead tape on the butt of the club to even out the head heavy feel. Easiest way might be to spend a few bucks & get one of the cheaper swing weight fulcrums , think golfworks has one that is not to bad , gets you in the ball park

Before getting too deep into this, I think you need to figure out the swing weight and then try some other irons that you've also measured. You may be right with your theory, but it seems like it's all just guessing at this point.

If your irons are bent flat it will add approx 1 swing weight point to the overall club swingweight
It takes 4 degree flat to equal one swingweight point. And even then most golfers won't notice one SW difference.

My 'guess' is that the club feels 'head heavy' as others have said - which in my limited experience more down to swing weight (balance) than overall club weight. I've recently purchased some Apex 21s with Modus Pro 120 XS shafts and am blending them with some Epic Forged with Steelfiber FC90s in Stiff. Because the swing weights are very similar I haven't had an issue with the difference in shaft weights - so adding some lead tape near the butt of the club might help....

A

Different brands definitely weight things differently. I've found that for me, it's not the club head weight that bothers me but shaft weight. Until I landed on the profile that fits me well, I was all over the place and some of the choices would just mess with my timing and speed

Easiest and cheapest test: choke up an inch on the grip, see how it feels. Tweak from there.

I'm the first to admit I'm clueless on this stuff but! Maybe like was mentioned, try something simple a counter weight on the butt end of the shaft first before you make any changes otherwise. You'll only actually increase the overall weight of the club but counterweighting it will make it feel less head heavy. I think.🤷‍♂️ I know my putter's counterweighted. That's the extent that I know.

I got the Blast Golf putting sensor a few years ago. It came with a rubber sleeve that holds the sensor onto the butt of a putter or wedge. Something like this rubber sleeve with a couple of quarters or coins in it can give you a quick approximation of weighting the butt to make the head feel lighter. Heck, even a couple strips of duct tape might work in a pinch and give you the test you're looking for.

mcc+4 is already a pretty heavy grip, and ns pro 950 regular is a lighter shaft. unless there's tungsten powder or something added into the head to bring swing weight up, i'm not sure what other options you have beyond a new set of clubs.

Easiest and cheapest test: choke up an inch on the grip, see how it feels. Tweak from there.

This is the best advice forward. The common suggestion of adding weight to the butt end of the club will fool a swing weight scale, but it won't fool the golfer. Imagine someone saying, "this object is too heavy" and someone told you "well just add some weight to it." Lol

OP is saying that he feels like he can't control his swing. In other words, it is taking an effort to control the club that he/she does not feel they have. The appropriate consideration is therefore the Moment of Inertia (MOI) of the club. Grip weight has very little to no impact on MOI and if anything increasing grip weight will INCREASE MOI. More total weight --> more effort to swing the club. So what is the other way to decrease MOI other than removing weight? Decrease the length. So while it is not a long-term solution to grip down on your clubs, it might help you determine whether you could benefit from less weight.

I hate being able to feel my iron heads. That why I use 120 gram shafts. Probably loose a little distance but love the feel and ball flight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats true Nick20UK , but the complaint was his heads feel too heavy , could be a contributing factor

Back