Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Apps are what you need, do not go with the Surface. The reason I went with my surface is to be more of a laptop replacement, and the Surface 2 coming with full office on it was something I needed.

Being able to leave my work latptop at work, and still be fully functional at home with the Surface has been nice over the past week. If Apps are driving your decision, steer away from a Windows tablet.

Thanks. Apps certainly aren't my main interest although as I mentioned Vine and Instagram compatibility are a strong desire now :)

But i still have the IPhone for those I suppose.

I would say the main need besides size/portability would be ease of typing. When I'm working games, sometimes I need to tweet much faster than the IPhone keyboard allows.

I do like the fact it has the office suite.

GG got a new cell phone tonight.
She quickly found out how much she was missing.
Welcome to Android.

I'm a couple weeks deep with my Nexus 5 and it's mind blowing when I think of how crappy my old Blackberry was by comparison. Everything about this phone is awesome (except the slow camera...grrr) and it does everything instantaneously. Download times are a thing of the past, and the Android world is amazing. Whatever app you want is out there, and it's probably free. If not, it's affordable or good value. The screen is a thing of beauty and the overall simplicity is something I wasn't expecting. Happy customer over here.

G2. VZW had a pretty sweet out of contract deal ($499 vs the $699 it normally is), so we jumped. She needed one pretty badly for what we do and she seems to be loving it. She used Android for a long time previously and does with her tablet too.

G2. VZW had a pretty sweet out of contract deal ($499 vs the $699 it normally is), so we jumped. She needed one pretty badly for what we do and she seems to be loving it. She used Android for a long time previously and does with her tablet too.

She's going to absolutely love the camera on it. Battery life is insane as well. I've had mine for almost 2 months now and it's just a fantastic.

After everyone complained about how bad my pictures were at the Grandaddy I knew it was time for a new phone.

So far I love it.

After everyone complained about how bad my pictures were at the Grandaddy I knew it was time for a new phone.

So far I love it.

Android is so far ahead of iOS it isn't even funny.

So far I love it.

Glad you finally did it!! We have been talking for a while about making the switch. Have fun playing with the nee phone.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Android is so far ahead of iOS it isn't even funny.

Sure is. Both very good operating systems compared to what we had a few years back, and personal preference will play a huge role, but if you are truly just comparing features, its not even close. Widgets alone make it light years ahead.

Glad you finally did it!! We have been talking for a while about making the switch. Have fun playing with the nee phone.

Thanks! Now we can finally message each other and it works. BBM was never working for me.

Sure is. Both very good operating systems compared to what we had a few years back, and personal preference will play a huge role, but if you are truly just comparing features, its not even close. Widgets alone make it light years ahead.

I don't typically use the widgets for a lot of apps, but the stock widget for calendar and weather are gold.

Thanks! Now we can finally message each other and it works. BBM was never working for me.

I know you will love the battery life!!

I don't typically use the widgets for a lot of apps, but the stock widget for calendar and weather are gold.

I like a few and the calendar one is so full of awesome on the Note 3.

I like a few and the calendar one is so full of awesome on the Note 3.

Glad I am stuck with this craptastic piece of garbage for 17 more days....

Since you are using a Windows laptop and windows tablet, are you going to consider windows phone

Since you are using a Windows laptop and windows tablet, are you going to consider windows phone

Don't think so dude. Mobile apps are a priority for me, and android mobile OS is a favorite of mine. Windows App Store is severely lacking, even though the phone features are impressive.

Don't think so dude. Mobile apps are a priority for me, and android mobile OS is a favorite of mine. Windows App Store is severely lacking, even though the phone features are impressive.

Windows App Store blows. I have an android phone, iPad and windows computer. I feel like a kid with turrets syndrome. FYI iPad going away to the new note 12.2 in the spring.

Windows App Store blows. I have an android phone, iPad and windows computer. I feel like a kid with turrets syndrome. FYI iPad going away to the new note 12.2 in the spring.

Have to say, I have yet to miss my iPad. My surface blows it away with performance. It's the laptop bridge I have wanted for quite some time. Lacks apps, but for me the streaming I can do and few apps from windows store get by for me.

I hated the iPad and everything about it. I wouldn't trade my Note 8.0 for anything, I love it. Its the first piece of new technology that I have truly loved. The only issue I have with it is battery life, but I use it a lot to read books and for non-stop refreshing with FF so that eats the battery.

Any Mac users here that could lead or point me in the direction of what model to get for my daughter? I've always been a PC guy so I'm clueless about Macs. Going to be buying her a laptop for college for Christmas. She'll be going to Savannah College of Art & Design majoring in Photography in the fall. She'll be using the Mac for digital manipulation of large image files using primarily Adobe Elements, Lightroom and Photoshop.

Having no clue about Macs any recommendations on what I should look for in regards to processors and internal memory? Thanks.

I use a Macbook Pro 17" (did, until my switch recently). It handled the files well. I found that my PC does it faster, but that is not really part of this equation. I dont recommend the 17" for a student however. Its very large and quite heavy. Take a look at the 15" or even the one smaller if they still make it.

Any Mac users here that could lead or point me in the direction of what model to get for my daughter? I've always been a PC guy so I'm clueless about Macs. Going to be buying her a laptop for college for Christmas. She'll be going to Savannah College of Art & Design majoring in Photography in the fall. She'll be using the Mac for digital manipulation of large image files using primarily Adobe Elements, Lightroom and Photoshop.

Having no clue about Macs any recommendations on what I should look for in regards to processors and internal memory? Thanks.

From someone who carries a Mac everyday, if she has to cary it around a lot, class to class, etc. I would recommend the 13" Retina with 2.6Ghz processor. I have the the 13" MBP and my girlfriend a 15" and she is constantly complaining about the weight and size for carrying around. Would also recommend an external hard drive for those large files. I deal with a lot of maps (ArcGIS and Illustrator) and the school recommends an external hard drive to shove in a backpack and carry around.

Barry if you want I can get you Lee's number. She may be able to answer some questions.

Barry I don't want to complicate things but I'm curious if the school requires a mac. I run photo shop and light room constantly along with many other digital manipulation programs frequently and do it with a windows machine. The days of Mac dominating that industry are over.

You are in a tough spot either way because she will want something small to carry around but editing photos on a small screen and without a mouse can be cumbersome. You may be better off with a small laptop/tablet for notes in class and then a more powerful desktop for her dorm. I have a 12 in Asus ultrabook wih a i7 processor and 8gb of ram which serves me will in a pinch but much rather work on a desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back