P90x is great, but its not something you continue after the 90 days. Who has that much time. I think its better to get into a regular workout plan like 4 days a week for 30-40 minutes each. Pushing yourself to the point of pain is not a good thing. I did do p90x but it is overkill.

I'm liking it - It definately has improved my core strength and helped me flatten out the spare tire so far. I would say that if you are really out of shape its not a great starting point simply because it is too hard. Its funny watching the other participants on the dvds - typically you watch a workout video and everyone is smiling and pounding out the reps - here people are getting run down and needing to take breaks all over the place.

I like that it doesn't require any equipment at all - all the resistance is done with your body weight (there are alot of pushups/jumping/balance moves). That being said I wouldn't expect to add any sort of bulk with Insanity - like you mentioned the focus is cardio and core strength. I think I might follow this up with p90x at some point. You having a good experience with that so far?
I am enjoying it and have really benefited from it. I'm keeping all of my stats and can see myself getting stronger and doing more reps and more weight. Also losing weight.
P90x is great, but its not something you continue after the 90 days. Who has that much time. I think its better to get into a regular workout plan like 4 days a week for 30-40 minutes each. Pushing yourself to the point of pain is not a good thing. I did do p90x but it is overkill.
I disagree. I plan on continuing for the foreseeable future. I might mix it up with Insanity or P90x+ but working out (intensely) 6 days a week is more important than most people realize, especially the 40 and up crowd.

I am enjoying it and have really benefited from it. I'm keeping all of my stats and can see myself getting stronger and doing more reps and more weight. Also losing weight.

I disagree. I plan on continuing for the foreseeable future. I might mix it up with Insanity or P90x+ but working out (intensely) 6 days a week is more important than most people realize, especially the 40 and up crowd.

I might purchase P90x from a neighbor who doesn't use it anymore, would you recommend it's something I could do say 4-5 times a week and keep doing it?

I might purchase P90x from a neighbor who doesn't use it anymore, would you recommend it's something I could do say 4-5 times a week and keep doing it?
Something is certainly better than nothing, but there is a lot of science behind what I said about 6 days a week. Your body is naturally programmed to decay, something that gets much more pronounced with age(esp after 40). Decay means loss of muscle mass, joint health, immune system function, heart health, circulation, increase storage of fat(spare tire), depression, etc. It a complicated cascade of chemical events that has developed over millions of years in our evolution. It actually makes sense to have this happen in nature. Exercise is the signal you can give to your body to repair and strengthen your body. To enhance your immune system and get rid of that extra fat. Exercise is really the only 'language' these chemical processes understand.
As far as P90x, not doing it 6 days a week would mean you will have to leave out workouts and body parts. You might be better off with P90, more of a circuit training that hits lots of body parts and switches between resistance and cardio.

So how's everyone's plans going? Talking about it helps my motivation.

After my month long hiatus of temporarily moving from Indiana to Wyoming I'm finally back on the wagon. I've continued with my kettlebell and bodyweight lifts and I'm now incorporating some cycling and swimming to fill in the cardio spot. I can't wait for it to get warm so I can do some trail running in the mountains. This high elevation training is no joke.

Well I sort of slacked for a while and worked out here and there but nothing consistent. I have started fresh this week and haven't missed a workout yet. I am feeling great and now remember how much better I feel when I eat right and exercise. I still need to step up the workout routine but I didn't want to kill myself right away. If I do that then I can't workout again for a week and then the bad cycle continues so I am taking it slow and getting back into the swing of things.

I feel your pain GG. Gotta attack it slow and easy at first. Motivation is always tough when going solo. I've been holding myself back so I don't wear myself out for work. I think I need to just go all out and let my body adapt now.

I feel your pain GG. Gotta attack it slow and easy at first. Motivation is always tough when going solo. I've been holding myself back so I don't wear myself out for work. I think I need to just go all out and let my body adapt now.

Motivation is definitely the hardest when you are going at it solo and it is even harder when you are around others who hate everything that is healthy and exercising. If you have eased yourself into for a while then you are probably ready to go all out now. As long as you don't overdo it and then end up back on the bench, that's the worst. Good luck!!

Surprisingly, I walked a mile this morning. At work, since I vanpool, I got off at the first stop and walked the rest of the way. However, my feet were killing me since I was wearing 3" heels, but I did get my mile in. Its a lot easier in the mornings because its still nice and cool out, but I have yet to do it in the afternoon (walking up to my first vanpool stop). At least its exercise and I'll take it. When the BF and I are golfing, I prefer to walk the course unless carts are included then we'll ride. But we each have our own push carts, and its a great way to get a little bit of exercise in.

Surprisingly, I walked a mile this morning. At work, since I vanpool, I got off at the first stop and walked the rest of the way. However, my feet were killing me since I was wearing 3" heels, but I did get my mile in. Its a lot easier in the mornings because its still nice and cool out, but I have yet to do it in the afternoon (walking up to my first vanpool stop). At least its exercise and I'll take it. When the BF and I are golfing, I prefer to walk the course unless carts are included then we'll ride. But we each have our own push carts, and its a great way to get a little bit of exercise in.

I have never walked a course before but I think with a pushcart I would like it. A lot of the courses in Florida won't let you walk so it's never been avaialble to me.

This is such a cool thread. Keeps me motivated (Im headed to the gym now). Gotta get back on the wagon. Ive been doing interval training and bodyweight training to get back in shape. Lost abt 25 lbs and even with taking a few weeks off i hvent gained any lbs back. Im hoping to lose 30 by the outing :).

This is such a cool thread. Keeps me motivated (Im headed to the gym now). Gotta get back on the wagon. Ive been doing interval training and bodyweight training to get back in shape. Lost abt 25 lbs and even with taking a few weeks off i hvent gained any lbs back. Im hoping to lose 30 by the outing :).

Wow! That is awesome, good for you! My goal is 15lbs or to just be able to wear my pants again.

That's great, keep it up! Sounds like you have some good goals set.

Thanks! Fish oil also been my friend. I dont eat fish so I needed somethin. When I bought my size 40 shorts it was my breaking point. Thats a great goal to have. Sometimes lbs can be deceiving!!! Youll b there in no time Im sure!
GolferGal said:
Wow! That is awesome, good for you! My goal is 15lbs or to just be able to wear my pants again.

Thank you! Im workin at it. Keepin my eye on the prize.
Dirt_Guy said:
That's great, keep it up! Sounds like you have some good goals set.

Thanks! Fish oil also been my friend. I dont eat fish so I needed somethin. When I bought my size 40 shorts it was my breaking point. Thats a great goal to have. Sometimes lbs can be deceiving!!! Youll b there in no time Im sure!

Being able to see and feel the results is so rewarding. I'm down 50 lbs from my lazy college days and pushing on. I agree about the lbs being deceiving, however it is the easiest thing to track. I'm just aiming for under 10% BF by the end of the year.

I have been pretty faithful, only missing 1 or 2 workouts in 2 months(on a 6 day a week schedule). I feel great and have lost 20 lbs. Aside from an occasional cheat meal, I've also eaten clean. For me P90x has been a great way to workout and has kept me motivated. My wife is also doing it so that helps. Keep it going people, you only get one body so take good care of it.

Awesome man! It definitely is easier totrack. Helps me when Im considering Fili b's for dinner. Its tougher having a bigger frame because I dont look my weight. So when people ask what ive lost they dont believe me lol. Nor do the believe what I weigh. Losing 50 is sick man. Thats a huge accomplishment.
Dirt_Guy said:
Being able to see and feel the results is so rewarding. I'm down 50 lbs from my lazy college days and pushing on. I agree about the lbs being deceiving, however it is the easiest thing to track. I'm just aiming for under 10% BF by the end of the year.

Sir Shanksalot said:
I have been pretty faithful, only missing 1 or 2 workouts in 2 months(on a 6 day a week schedule). I feel great and have lost 20 lbs. Aside from an occasional cheat meal, I've also eaten clean. For me P90x has been a great way to workout and has kept me motivated. My wife is also doing it so that helps. Keep it going people, you only get one body so take good care of it.
Damn. That P90x is no joke. Congrats on the progress!

Awesome man! It definitely is easier totrack. Helps me when Im considering Fili b's for dinner. Its tougher having a bigger frame because I dont look my weight. So when people ask what ive lost they dont believe me lol. Nor do the believe what I weigh. Losing 50 is sick man. Thats a huge accomplishment.

I'm a large framed one to so many can't believe the #'s. I guess I finally learned that beer, pizza, and video games wasn't the best way to go through life. My eating habits still aren't the best but I deal with it.

For sure man. For me portion control has worked wonders. Been cookin a lot more too.
Dirt_Guy said:
I'm a large framed one to so many can't believe the #'s. I guess I finally learned that beer, pizza, and video games wasn't the best way to go through life. My eating habits still aren't the best but I deal with it.

I have been getting lazy the last month. I am taking a pilates reformer class tomorrow night though and I hope it gets me in a groove again.

I just bought a yoga DVD and I can't wait to use it. I love how yoga promotes long lean muscles which is ideal for women. Especially someone of my frame. I am very short so bulky muscles do not look good on me. Plus I can barely touch my toes so I could use the help in the flexibility department.

I am also on a major smoothie kick ever since we got our new blender. I have spent all night looking at recipes online. I am looking for smoothies that are high in protein and low in sugar.

I think they are fun to make and can really taste great.

Last edited:
Back