Expensive aftermarket putter shafts?

Are expensive aftermarket putter shafts going to make people putt better?

• They are complete BS

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • They can change the balance point with lighter materials but it's not a big deal

• They are worth the money and most people would see improvement using them

• Total voters

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
Lots of these on the market and more OEM's getting in on the action. A steel putter shaft is the age old favorite but do the new composite shafts offer any real world benefits? Using lighter materials makes it easy to alter weight placement up and down the shaft but does that do anything that a heavier/lighter grip or adjusting head weight won't do? Do you think they are the real deal and would make most people putt better?

So I just bought a putter with the all-in shaft. To replace a nearly identical putter with a steel shaft. It's night and day between the two. Is the all-in shaft going to make me a better putter instantly? Nah, but early indications are that it is helping me control the face and my distance a little better than the steel shaft.

I like the less exotic but still graphite Stroke Lab shaft. Something about it feels different but better to me. Did it help? Not really, kind of. My second putts are feeling closer by a good margin. I’m still misreading greens but I’m hitting more lines. I don’t expect a new shaft to help me much more than that, but I’m interested in testing. I just wish they were more readily available and accessible.

I'm a believer. Stability is my favorite but I also prefer Stroke Lab over steel

I have the all in shaft on my new putter and it's awesome. I'm not sure how to explain it but it has helped me keep the head of the putter on line.

There is something to it, but I am not smart enough to say what. My experience is with the StrokeLab and I can tell a difference between it and a traditional steel shaft. It might not be a "feel" thing, but the results is what I am talking about. With the SL I feel like I have a better stroke which allows me to putt online with my aim. I am seeing more "tap ins" than testy come backers.

Maybe?? You still have to read the green correctly, to get your line TO the hole. Been playing a Cleveland HB Soft 11c for the past 2 seasons. Never used a center shafted putter before. Do I putt better? For the most part, but I still have to get the line. Distance control IS better, and I am leaving a lot of tap ins when I miss. The feel of this putter is really great, but it is not automatic. Tech certainly DOES help, but you still have to stroke it correctly. Human factor IS the thing you have to control! Reading the line, putter stroke for speed, distance control. To easy to miss with so many variables...

Selection issues here.

There needs to be:
"They can change the balance point with lighter materials and that may help some people putt better."

Agree with several posts here about all the influences on putting performance. If you THINK it betters your putting then your odds of improvement increase.

Fourth option.

They are legitimate. They address a real situation in that putter weight has changed dramatically while the steel putter shaft has not, practically not at all.

That said, most amateurs are such bad putters they won’t notice the benefits as they think it to be a magic arrow, but no arrow can fix those broken putting strokes.

It would also be a most common answer in a most under thought thread.
?

If they're mentioning it in that thread that often, they've obviously thought about it. If you're talking about thinking it through, it would be other people who would respond with that, not the ones that don't think it helps.

I think my response was about SG vs cost not being there for me or something, being a good putter with mine. Differences just haven't been there.

Anyway, I was surprised by it being that common of a response in that thread and what I wanted to say was that I've noticed people being more open to the idea of it helping them when it's mentioned or marketed to them as built for a model/line of putters specifically. Not that ______ shaft will help you in any putter head, but more like built to work in unison with _____ head(s). Just something in the human response of it all. Pulls them out of their skepticism somehow. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve tried almost all of the aftermarket putter shafts, I still rotate a Stability Tour, LA Golf, and Fujikura through the bag. I also have an Accra and Paderson that I wasn’t as big a fan of as the others, I’m looking forward to trying the UST at some point.

I have never changed a putter shaft out from what came as stock shaft with it. Still rolling my Chicago 3 years later with no changes to it and works just fine.

I like the less exotic but still graphite Stroke Lab shaft. Something about it feels different but better to me. Did it help? Not really, kind of. My second putts are feeling closer by a good margin. I’m still misreading greens but I’m hitting more lines. I don’t expect a new shaft to help me much more than that, but I’m interested in testing. I just wish they were more readily available and accessible.
I understand the Stroke Lab concept to be more of a rhythm/tempo device?
As for the other high end putter shafts, I don't necessarily see the point, but if it helps someone's confidence, go for it.
Personally, I'm not spending $300 on a putter shaft when what I have is working quite well.

Last edited:
had someone really start putting better when they were rolling the Stability I have in my M-Craft III - You can feel the head and placement throughout is my general feedback.

Stability shaft in my Chicago has absolutely improved my putting this last year.

I understand the Stroke Lab concept to be more of a rhythm/tempo device?
As for the other high end putter shafts, I don't necessarily see the point, but if it helps someone's confidence, go for it.
Personally, I'm not spending $300 on a putter shaft when what I have is working quite well.
Stroke Lab is about balance. As putter head weights have gone up, weight shift in the shaft was naturally going to take shape. In some ways the aftermarket putter shafts are doing similar. As head weights have gone up, some shafts are not able to handle the weight (hoop strength) with the same stability.

Its like anything in golf. Sure someone can use stock everything if they choose and naturally have fun, get better, etc. If they want to have equipment that is perfectly suited for their game, all shafts (putter too) can be fit.

The feel will change and the way the person strokes the ball “could” change. But Most people have poor putting strokes and will never know if it helps or not

I have a putter with a strokelab and I have the fuji aftermarket shaft. I like both. I have no idea if they make a difference or not in performance. But there is a noticeable difference in feel that I enjoy. That is good enough for me.

The BGT Stability Tour shaft has helped me.
I like the stability, feel and balance it imparts.

The Stroke Lab shaft was not as good for me.

The KBS CT steel putter shaft is very good. Would like to try the KBS One Step.

Have not tried any others but would be open to doing so if they were capable of working with the putter head styles that I prefer.

An advantage of the BGT Stability shaft is that it can work with all putters.

Enter here and maybe you can try one out for yourself:

I thought the Stroke Lab concept was more of a rhythm/tempo device?
From a Google Search result: "geared towards improving the overall stroke. They focused on backswing length, impact face angle, tempo and speed at impact, and weight distribution." I guess it is, but I'd also consider that the point of all putter shafts. I'd like to see what a softer profile would feel like. I think that could really help my putting out by providing the feedback during the stroke that I don't really feel now.

From a Google Search result: "geared towards improving the overall stroke. They focused on backswing length, impact face angle, tempo and speed at impact, and weight distribution." I guess it is, but I'd also consider that the point of all putter shafts. I'd like to see what a softer profile would feel like. I think that could really help my putting out by providing the feedback during the stroke that I don't really feel now.
I promise you, you do not want more flex in a putter shaft. Higher torque for feel, maybe? But you do not want the head moving away from your stroke.

Back