Fitting Question - Is it a bad idea to play a round before I go to an iron fitting?

cringjr

2024 SkyTrack Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
OK. I had an iron fitting yesterday. Me and the fitter worked on it for about an hour and 20 minutes and have narrowed it down to a few options. I am going back in Friday to try a few more club heads as I feel like we have found the shaft.

The conundrum: I have an 8:10am tee time Friday. Should I play a round of golf prior to the fitting? Is that a bad idea? I was swinging really good (for me) yesterday and feel like the fitter got a really good representation of my swing and capabilities. I am a little worried about fatigue from playing having an impact on my swing at the fitting. No appointment, shop owner just told me to swing by when I can and he will work me in. So, in theory I could rest a few hours in between the round and the fitting. Or should I get the fitting and find a later tee time?

Thanks THP. Looking forward to any advice.

This is a good question, I know that watching the @Thrillbilly Jim fitting thread, I was concerned that he could gas out, and he didn't play a round before showing up for the fitting. I think it depends if you think you are going to gas out from playing first.

Last edited:
Sounds like this second session is just a dialing in session and to me it seems like that wouldn't require as many swings. I think you should be fine.

Several factors would come into play for me when making the decision. Stuff like, what am I getting fit for? How's the weather, is it hot and humid and to the point where I would be exhausted after the round? Sounds like you have some time in between so for me that stuff wouldn't be as big of a deal, but definitely player dependent...you know your game, swing, and body better than us. I'm one that likes to play and then head to the range, so in general I'd probably be fine.

I can’t wait to hear what you get fit into also…

What are the iron shafts that you and your fitter have settled on?

I wouldn't do it. Prefer to save my swings for the fitting at my age

What are the iron shafts that you and your fitter have settled on?
UST Recoil. I think it was the DART 90 or 95 in F4 stiff. I'll have to check. There is a leader in the clubhouse for club/shaft combo. Friday is to just make sure we didn't miss something by not hitting all available club heads and to be able to check all the boxes and walk away really confident in what I end up in.

OK. I had an iron fitting yesterday. Me and the fitter worked on it for about an hour and 20 minutes and have narrowed it down to a few options. I am going back in Friday to try a few more club heads as I feel like we have found the shaft.

The conundrum: I have an 8:10am tee time Friday. Should I play a round of golf prior to the fitting? Is that a bad idea? I was swinging really good (for me) yesterday and feel like the fitter got a really good representation of my swing and capabilities. I am a little worried about fatigue from playing having an impact on my swing at the fitting. No appointment, shop owner just told me to swing by when I can and he will work me in. So, in theory I could rest a few hours in between the round and the fitting. Or should I get the fitting and find a later tee time?

Thanks THP. Looking forward to any advice.
Are you dying the next day and this is the last day you’ll ever play golf?? Probably not… skip a day since doubt is in your mind. It won’t kill you

This is a good question, I know that watching the @Thrillbilly Jim fitting thread, I was concerned that he could gas out, and he didn't play a round before showing up for the fitting. I think it depends if you think you are going to gas out from playing first.
wrong ric flair GIF

60 Min Broadway

UST Recoil. I think it was the DART 90 or 95 in F4 stiff. I'll have to check. There is a leader in the clubhouse for club/shaft combo. Friday is to just make sure we didn't miss something by not hitting all available club heads and to be able to check all the boxes and walk away really confident in what I end up in.
Nice, that's a popular shaft here on THP.

I played the Dart 90 for a while and currently in Recoil 95s

Are you dying the next day and this is the last day you’ll ever play golf?? Probably not… skip a day since doubt is in your mind. It won’t kill you
Good point...but I get to play once a week at best and only on the weekends. And my next 5 weekends are filled with baseball and soccer tournaments.

But I am leaning towards standing at the golf shop front door waiting for them to open on Friday.

Speaking for myself, I'd finish up the fitting and play afterward.

Who's doing your fitting?

Speaking for myself, I'd finish up the fitting and play afterward.

Who's doing your fitting?
Tony at Nevada Bob's in Jackson. I've known him for a long time (same hometown), have taken lessons from him in the past and have a really good relationship. It has been a very stress free and easy going fitting so far. We have tinkered with driver shafts in the past, but this is the first true fitting I have done with him and it has been very informative and enjoyable.

I like the idea of playing before the fitting, you'll be nice and warmed up but not worn out. The only possible downside I can see is that if you have a bad ballstriking day during the round, you come into the fitting with mental baggage from it.

Why couldn't you narrow it down in the first hour and 20 mins especially if you felt like you were swinging well?

I like the idea of playing before the fitting, you'll be nice and warmed up but not worn out. The only possible downside I can see is that if you have a bad ballstriking day during the round, you come into the fitting with mental baggage from it.
Sounds like you know my game.

That’s a loootttt of swings, especially if you warm up before the round and the fitting.

Why couldn't you narrow it down in the first hour and 20 mins especially if you felt like you were swinging well?
I tend to hit a lower shot with lower spin. Was looking to improve those two categories. Took a minute to get the combo that got better results. And we didn't get to Darkspeed before I ran out of time. I want to give those a look.

Depends on your stamina. Personally I would struggle in the fit after playing a round.

Tony at Nevada Bob's in Jackson. I've known him for a long time (same hometown), have taken lessons from him in the past and have a really good relationship. It has been a very stress free and easy going fitting so far. We have tinkered with driver shafts in the past, but this is the first true fitting I have done with him and it has been very informative and enjoyable.
I've heard a lot of good about him from people he's fit.

Take a cart when you play!

I tend to hit a lower shot with lower spin. Was looking to improve those two categories. Took a minute to get the combo that got better results. And we didn't get to Darkspeed before I ran out of time. I want to give those a look.
What is the leading head before you hit the Darkspeed?

Back