Fitting Question - Is it a bad idea to play a round before I go to an iron fitting?

I did a walking round at Pacific Dunes and then went to a Taylormade fitting afterwards and got good results. You will be warmed up for sure at least. I know @lockstockrye ended up buying new irons from the fitting after our round on Pacific Dunes.

One thing about playing first is you will know how your swing is. If it's good then that should carry over to the fitting. If it's one of those really bad days then you might learn that it's probably not the best day to go do the fitting.

Nice, that's a popular shaft here on THP.

I played the Dart 90 for a while and currently in Recoil 95s
I confirmed with fitter. Shafts were Recoil 95 and not the DART.

Do you have any issues playing 36 in one day? If not, I would say you’d be good to do the fitting after the round. If you’re like me and your back starts to wear out around hole 16 I wouldn’t advise it

Last edited:
Good point...but I get to play once a week at best and only on the weekends. And my next 5 weekends are filled with baseball and soccer tournaments.

But I am leaning towards standing at the golf shop front door waiting for them to open on Friday.
If your not playing for 5 weeks what’s another week? I just the type that looks at my schedule and sees if the weather is going to be lousy or I have a lot of work coming up and won’t play for a week, I really don’t care if I get that “last round in”.

One thing I see at the fittings I do is a fair amount of people come up and the first thing they say is ,” I should be warmed up I just played 18”. Then they overswing at everyrhing amd hit it poorly because they are tired. They even admit that they are “all swung out” and end up leaving.

They’ll let you warm up hitting a few balls. I wouldn’t go to the range first either, you could start not hitting it well and freak out.

image.jpg
Decision was made. Went 5-AW. These were just more consistent with distance. The first 5 or 6 I hit today were right on top of each other. And they were much more forgiving on my mis-hits out on the toe. Looking forward to getting them on the course.

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

I had a PXG iron fitting scheduled and ended up scheduling a round that day. I went straight from the course to the PXG store.

In some ways it was good because I was warmed up and thankfully my swing was on that day. So on, that after I hit warmup shots with my Srixons, the fitter joked 'I have my work cut out for me'.

I didn't feel any more worn out than I would at a regular fitting. He was a great guy. He told me that he could try to make something else work but any distance gains would be due to loft. Told me the set I had really fit me well. I appreciated him not forcing sale.

I'd been fit for a driver that I ended up parting ways with. I still have the PXG putter I was fit for.

So I did play this morning before. I don’t think it was a bad idea, but in hindsight I think not playing before hand is a better idea.

Pros of playing prior: I played ok and had a really good idea of my ball flight and misses with my current irons and what I wanted to improve on while at the fitting.

Cons are the risk of being tired and that impacting the swing. And at the end, I was tired, making bad swings and ended up taking a 10 minute break. Luckily, we had settled on the club and shaft and were just tinkering with lie angles.

For my fitting, since I had already been earlier in the week and had narrowed it down to a few combos, I was able to hit some good shots and feel really good on what I ended up with.

It almost sounds like you've jinxed the second fitting session just thinking about playing that round. Skip the round in go in fresh.

If you are one of those people who are totally wiped out after a round, then don't do it. Otherwise, you are fine. Just stay loose.

This really does depend on your stamina. I did a full bag fitting about 10 years ago and took over 600 swings at the fitter. Ten years later (and older) I wouldn't want to do that much at once.

Oops

Back