Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

1. What irons do you currently play?
I currently play Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 2s. I have a set of Srixon Z-Star irons with KBS C-Tapers coming though. So I'm thinking an old vs new vs new iron shootout would be awesome.

2. What is your handicap index?
Right now I'm right at a 9, but now that I have a normal schedule where I can practice regularly that number will go down!

3. What do you look for in an iron set?
When I look at an iron I want them to be subtle and not so flashy. I'm good with a more boring iron as long as it performs.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
I think the VR Pro Combos are one of the best looking irons on the market currently. When you see them at address they just spell confidence.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
Well now that I have a more stable schedule and I'm on vacation for the next month I will have plenty of time for testing. So far since I've been home in California I have been practicing 4 times a week and playing twice. Now once I get back to work in July I will still have plenty of time to test as my schedule allows me to leave work by 1 pm:D Also I will be able to test these irons in multiple conditions as I will be in Mississippi late August through November and then will be sailing around the Southern United States back to California so these irons will get some foreign exposure! As for my activity level on THP, I feel that I am already on THP a ton. I'm not always in the biggest conversations, but I feel like I represent THP very well.

1. What irons do you currently play?
I currently play Nike Slingshot 4D Irons.
2. What is your handicap index?
My handicap is 14.2.
3. What do you look for in an iron set?
I look for forgiveness, accurate feedback, a good feel on quality hits, and a look that will instill confidence from a set of irons.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
I love the separate head design that the clubs feature. I believe that the different looks that these clubs offer would inspire confidence shooting a variety of shots. I also like the more "classic" look that these irons have, as opposed to the Slingshots that I currently play.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
I have easy access to a range that I frequent at least 5 times per week. I also try to play a round at least three times a week. My plan would be to play these irons as much as I possibly can to provide accurate and quality reviews and opinions on their playability, forgiveness, distance, look, and feel. To provide as much feedback as possible, reviews, comments, etc. would be posted on Twitter, THP, Facebook, and my personal "blog".

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play Titleist 690.MB 3-PW with PX 5.5 1/2" over standard
2. What is your handicap index? My handicap is a 4.7 index. Just getting back into the game after taking time off after HS Golf. Was a +.9 Junior/Senior year in HS. Now, 29 and starting to play more frequently.
3. What do you look for in an iron set? In no real order...feel, top line looks, workability, finish, technology, manufacturer's reputation, and that they can last a long time.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Great looking clubs! I have been trying to find a good mix set to rid myself of the 3-5 blades so I can get more forgiveness on my 200+ yard shots. The pocket cavity in the 3 & 4 irons and split cavity in the 5, 6 & 7 irons would do just that while still giving me the blades in the scoring clubs.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Testing plan would be 80% range time, 20% course time. I tend to get to the range multiple times per week and the course 1-2x on the weekends. I take pride in my work ethic on the range. I definitely go by the quality of practice over quantity of balls I hit. Each shot involves my pre-shot routine and then executed. I live in AZ so my practice time is never cut short by bad weather or cold, ugly winters. On the range, I will go thru each club and test multiple shots (IE high draw, power fade, etc) hit off of real grass. At night, I also have access to a lighted range where they have mats w/ a Launch Monitor. My activity level on THP can only go up as I have just joined the website! I have been a member on another golf website for just over a month and I'm averaging multiple posts per day while conducting research on new clubs and shafts. I tend to be long-winded on my posts, so content will definitely not be an issue with me.

Thank you!
-Brian

Last edited:
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I can't wait for this round of member testing. I had a chance to hit these and you are in for a real treat.

I love how Nike has stepped up their relationship with THP. I can't tell you how many items at Demo Day from Nike was still in the plasctic...It felt like Christmas going through and hitting their clubs for the first time.

Good luck again everyone!

It is good to see them change it up a bit and become 'more accessible' which can only mean good things for them

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I can't wait for this round of member testing. I had a chance to hit these and you are in for a real treat.

I love how Nike has stepped up their relationship with THP. I can't tell you how many items at Demo Day from Nike was still in the plasctic...It felt like Christmas going through and hitting their clubs for the first time.

1. What irons do you currently play? - Mizzuno MP-63 (just switched this year from Titlest AP2s)
2. What is your handicap index? 7.4
3. What do you look for in an iron set? - appearance of a blade but something a little more foregiving, the 'feel' when you miss one is also very important
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? - I've seen them before and it's a great concept, they look great and I've been hearing more and more good things about Nike's forgin process
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? - I've been a member on THP for a while but was so at first so i could read the posts and what not. I am mostly active on another board (WRX) However, after hearing about this (and other) giveaways/testing that THP does, I'll begin to make this part of my regular online activity/posting. As for testing - I typically play anywhere from 36-54 holes a week at my club, with 72 being about the most. Only hit the range when i need to (which should be more often but oh well..) I'll play these as well as play with my MP-63s to give a side by side comparison (saturday nikes, sunday mizzy's, 9 holes nike, 9 holes mizzy, and so on..) Will comment/post on scores, feel, general experience, etc..
Very active on Facebook and semi active on Twitter but can post to both as i play or after the round.
This is a great opportunity and I'd be more than willing to do my part for the change to game these for a while.

Me either biggsy, im very excited about these and to see the reviews, im just hoping some of them will be my reviews lol

I'm also really interested to here everyones thoughts on these. I'm really intrigued by the combo idea that Nike has come up with, reminds me of the TM TP iron combos that people are putting together themselves.

I'm dying to try these out! I can't find a local dealer that has a set that can be hit. I'd have to drive an hour away to check 'em out. This has been the first iron set that has me even thinking about replacing my PINGs.

I'm with you Biggsy. After the positive feedback on the wedges basically launched them into my bag, I can't imagine the love for these irons would be even remotely inaccurate. Can't wait to see if that holds true to 7 long term testers!

I would love to to be a tester on this. A lot of great things being said about these.The look is pretty...

I'm dying to try these out! I can't find a local dealer that has a set that can be hit. I'd have to drive an hour away to check 'em out. This has been the first iron set that has me even thinking about replacing my PINGs.

it's worth the hour drive! Trust me on that. From the second I touched these, the just felt right! sure the blades are a little harder to hit, but you're not trying to get 200 yards out of them... the rest of the set is butter!

I agree with Biggsy, a big thanks to Nike.

I find it odd that a lot of the new members who applied to be a tester still have only one post despite claiming they would be very active. hmmm.

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylor Made Tour Burner 4-P. Wedges- Titleist Vokey 56, Taylor Made 60.
2. What is your handicap index? 4.5
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Feel, top line look, workability, consistency
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Can't tell until I have them in my hands. At first glance, they look nice.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I typically play every saturday, every other (or third) Sunday, and typically about one scramble tournament each month. I will not lie, I am not a big fan of going to the range and beating balls- especially in the summer here in Florida. Although, I do realize that a new set of irons does require a fair amount of range time to get them tweaked. I have a 'regular' game with 12-16 guys every Saturday morning at TPC Tampa Bay, where I am a member, as well as range access at TPC and another club in the area where I also belong as a social member.

it's worth the hour drive! Trust me on that. From the second I touched these, the just felt right! sure the blades are a little harder to hit, but you're not trying to get 200 yards out of them... the rest of the set is butter!

Yeah I keep thinking about it... but having trouble pulling the trigger.

TC keeps telling me I need to pick these up to... but I want to double check and make sure they work for righties too...

I am really stoked that Nike is doing this testing! I know all the testers will do a great job, so that Nike will continue to use THP for more testing. I would like to see some of their drivers in testing down the road. I know the VR Pro Drivers they have out now are sick too.

Yeah I keep thinking about it... but having trouble pulling the trigger.

TC keeps telling me I need to pick these up to... but I want to double check and make sure they work for righties too...

It just makes sense for you buddy. Looking at your bag setup, this just needs to happen. You really should do your best to try to demo them asap. I think that will help you pull the trigger.

Lots of applicants for this one, should be fun to find out who gets selected.

Lots of applicants for this one, should be fun to find out who gets selected.

There sure are. Lots of names to go through with the staff and company to see who will be testing.

I want to be clear about one thing though. Testing is a privilege on THP, and we believe in rewarding those that stay active and contribute on the site. People coming and saying "If I get to test these, I will become active", I can assure you that we will have a hard time sending out irons to someone because they say that they are active on another forum. We believe in the testing that we do at THP and like to reward those that spend time here with the ability to test clubs. Its something we do almost every month if not more and without being active here, one will not be testing clubs. It has nothing to do with tenure as we get testers that are fairly new all the time, but it will always have something to do with activity and those that contribute.

Thanks and we look forward to seeing some reviews on these.

Reactions: TC
This thread is buzzing already! The feedback from demo day alone on these beauties has certainly helped! This should be some awesome testing.

I truly enjoy reading the comments and feedback from testers in all types of testing threads but this one has me rather intrigued. Knowing that 7 lucky people are going to have a wonderful set of irons to pick apart in every way fathomable just amazes me. Add in the fact that I walked away from demo day reading back over my notes from these thinking how incredible they were and I'm ecstatic to start hearing feedback.

I agree with you guys. This is a top notch set and I am really looking forward to how these perform with someone around my skill level. I agree it's definitely ego somewhat but man I love looking down at a sleek, performance packed iron. I would love to see this with a graphite PX shaft as well and if chosen that's what I'm gonna do lol. (if available lol)

Gonna be a great group of testers when they get picked no doubt!!!!

THP and Nike bringing it!

There sure are. Lots of names to go through with the staff and company to see who will be testing.

I want to be clear about one thing though. Testing is a privilege on THP, and we believe in rewarding those that stay active and contribute on the site. People coming and saying "If I get to test these, I will become active", I can assure you that we will have a hard time sending out irons to someone because they say that they are active on another forum. We believe in the testing that we do at THP and like to reward those that spend time here with the ability to test clubs. Its something we do almost every month if not more and without being active here, one will not be testing clubs. It has nothing to do with tenure as we get testers that are fairly new all the time, but it will always have something to do with activity and those that contribute.

JB, I agree with you 100%. The good thing is that THP is picking up a bunch of new members and hopefully they will stay active and contribute. :clapp:

I love those statements. Its sort of like the gambler whos going to quit right after hitting it big. Or just one more hit and then I'll quit. Send me $899 set of irons and maybe I'll be more active and post more. Right!

I look forward to seeing who gets to test these and the reviews to come. These were some of the best irons at the THP demo day.

Back