Go For It or Lay Up?

Lay-up or Tin cup?

Lay-up or Tin cup?

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this subject. Do you guys take a chance or play it safe?

At my home course hole 17 there is a water hazard about 220 out and to get past it you need to carry about 260 it's a risky shot and lately I've been pretty confidant with the driver and going for it... Sometimes I make it and it feels great and the other times my ball goes for a swim lol. If I have a similar situation on par 3's I have zero confidence with the irons over water and usually make a really bad shot.

Tee it up and go for it, I have a similiar hole on one of the courses I play, I go fo rit everytime, lately I have bene on a streka and have been making it alot more often now, but its still fun knowing if you dont hit str8 or clean its going for a swim

Depends on the situation. 260 carry is a tall order for me, so I'd probably lay up. That being said, if I think I have a shot in the bag, I generally take it.

260 carry is a no go. I have the distance to possibly clear, but the risk/reward is not worth it. I would likely take a 4 wood and leave it short. As to JB's original question on page 1, I am definitely going for the par 5 in 2 if it's 205 yards to clear and 235 to green.

I'm not confident with a 250+ carry off the tee, but carries over water on approaches of 220 and under or on par 3s is just fine by me. But the really long carries I just can't do. Always try to muscle it too much!!

I have a high degree of confidence in my 3 & 4 hybrids. Definitely would go for it to carry 205.

I have a low degree of confidence in my 3W and D right now. Definitely would not go for it to carry 250.

260 carry im laying up and missing the green on my longer 2nd shot lol

That would be a definite layup for me. I think for me I have the distance to get it to the green and then some.. but the visual is not very appealing and it would be in my head how much water there is. I don't physically assess a situation but also mentally. I just see so much water in that picture I know the chance of error is high.

Layup -- even with a tailwind, 250 carry is at best a 1-out-of-20 for me. But I'm with Schweitzer -- 205 carry from the fairway I give it a shot.

I'm going for it every time unless I have a headwind in my face. Not saying that I'm just that long or that confident. More so just a glutton for punishment.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this subject. Do you guys take a chance or play it safe?

At my home course hole 17 there is a water hazard about 220 out and to get past it you need to carry about 260 it's a risky shot and lately I've been pretty confidant with the driver and going for it... Sometimes I make it and it feels great and the other times my ball goes for a swim lol. If I have a similar situation on par 3's I have zero confidence with the irons over water and usually make a really bad shot.

how long is the hole in total?

if you can still easily reach the green in regulation by laying up no sense in trying to go for it imo

how long is the hole in total?

if you can still easily reach the green in regulation by laying up no sense in trying to go for it imo

It's 510 it is possible to make it in regulation and laying up would make more sense and be the safe play but going for it is so much more fun!!

I think it really depends on individual distances and how comfortable you are. I am comfortable with my 3h and wouldn't have an issue clearing 205 with it. I played a 210 yd par 3 on Sunday and flew the green with my 3h (not purposely). If it was any longer than that I wouldn't risk it, but 205 seems to be a pretty safe number. Honestly I am probably better off going for it and then chipping up if I miss as opposed to laying up and having a 100 yd or less shot into the green.

Depends on how my swings feeling that day, but on a normal day go for it, and in a tournament layup. I would have to hit a very long 3 hybrid just to get over 205, but I'd have to use a 3 wood to get it 235.

I'd have no choice, time to hit the 3 hybrid off the tee

205 to carry is possible, but the sand and less than forgiving landing area would make me think twice. I would end up going for it in the end since opportunities of being on in 2 on a par 5 are not overly common for me. I'd rather be hitting out of the sand and grumbling than wondering "what if".

...that or put on my swimmies and retrieve my shot from the pond and a few others as well...

For me, it would depend on the round I had going and the situation with the wind. If I am having a bad round, I guarantee you I am going for it, but if I am shooting well, I will probably be smarter. If I have a decent wind at my back, I am definitely going to go for it.

I go for it 9 times out of 10 unless you play my home course when 2 of the 3 par 5's are mostly out of the question.

I would go for it. No doubt. I could probably get that carry most of the time. I think.

Based on what you described I would lay up 8 of 10 times. I know there would be those times I was feeling my oats and try the straight long drive. I can 260 but everytime in a frozen rope

Well I dont play golf expecting to come home with all my golf balls.

That being said if I was having a career round I probably wouldnt risk it. I had a similar situation where I was having a career day and probably 175-180 out and in a fairway bunker (water guarding the front of the green) on #18. Went for it...ended up carding a snowman to close out what wouldve been my lowest score ever.

I would have to lay up, although it looks like I could hug the left side and fade a bit up the fw.

I agree with this. Aim at the left bunker, try for a fade and hope for the best.

Back