Go For It or Lay Up?

Older thread that popped up. I don't recollect if I added my .02

If it's a casual round I go for it... if it's a tournament and I'm not feeling it I lay up to a good yardage for my wedge. Birdie and Par always beat Bogey or worse.

Alex

Take out my 3 wood and give it a good wack. Go for it. I'd calculate the conditions though. But that picture looks like picture perfect weather.

I hit it a pretty long way with my fairway wood (around 250 with a 5 wood)...I'd aim down the fairway and try to hit a fade/cut with the 5 wood...if I end up slicing...it's in the water...if it doesn't cut/fade, then I'd end up on the left...all the same, I'd go for it!

I'd go for it. Might get me in trouble, but I'd try it.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this subject. Do you guys take a chance or play it safe?

At my home course hole 17 there is a water hazard about 220 out and to get past it you need to carry about 260 it's a risky shot and lately I've been pretty confidant with the driver and going for it... Sometimes I make it and it feels great and the other times my ball goes for a swim lol. If I have a similar situation on par 3's I have zero confidence with the irons over water and usually make a really bad shot.

I had this shot today at Baywood I would have had to carry 280 over water and I wanted to hit driver but I ended up hitting a 5 iron to an island fairway and made par from there. My driving was great my last 4 rounds and I think I could have made it but my round was going really well so I played it safe. Maybe next time.

I would go for it 9/10 times...

260. That distance I barely get constantly with my driver. So I would lay up. But 205 I go for it!!

Fear The Frog! Amphibians can Tapatalk.

I don't get paid to play I pay to play so I always go for it. when it doesn't work out I'm out a ball but that's why they sell them by the dozen

If its one of my cheaper balls, or the match is on the line, I would go for it! Go big or go home, right?

6 months ago i would have gone for both. Now i would probally lay up my course management is alot better and i think abit more rather that see it hit it find it lol. Although 205 yards id probally have a swing at that one.

pfftt....260???? seriously...a good drive might be 260 total....no way I am carrying 260 unless its off a cliff and REALLY downwind...LOL

Lay up!

I know I can make that distance most of the time but I'd get all mental and send the ball for a swim so for me its lay it up 99% of the time. Making par is better than a double.

This may be shocking to those that know me, but I'd go for it pretty much every time. :). Esp from 205, like in the original question. Only time I'd lay up when a 260 carry is required is if there is a strong head wind.

If I was playing for money, I may play differently, but playing for fun, why not give it a shot?

205 go for it everytime (except maybe srong headwind). 260 layup mosrt times.

I aim a little left, open the face some and swing hard, probably a 4 iron depending on the wind and all.

260 carry is a tough carry for most players. I would probably lay up every time. Now if it is 260 to the middle of the green and 240 to carry water I am all over it.

260 carry? Maybe on one of my best days but normally I'd have to lay up on that distance.

205? Not a problem.....I'm going for it.

I would go for a 260 carry over a hazard but only if there was fairway on the other side to hit into. Successfully carried 280 a few times in the past but not any more, don't swing that hard these days.

Lay up 10 out of 10 times for me. Last time I went for it, I hit probably the best shot of my life and it was headed right at the pin, when all of the sudden the wind kicked up and just knocked it straight down in to the lake. So now I just take the conservative route.

Ehh what do you have to lose other than a ball.. Go for it unless your playing for money.. Lol

I use to think "go for it" but now that I'm older and wiser... laying up generally = lower score which makes me happier at the end of the round!!!

I used to be the go for it type, but I always lay up unless there is ZERO danger. If the hole has water, trees, sand, or deep rough, I will "attempt" to lay up to a number and go from there.

go for it all day!

Back