Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend who is giving me ducks told me about a .17 HMR that he wants to buy, so I googled them and they seem to be cheaper than .22 rifles, and much more powerful. Does anyone have any experience with them? Cost vs. effectiveness/fun is a factor for sure. We have another friend whose dad owns a farm so we could potentially go plink gophers over there, and another friend has access to 3 rifle ranges in town so what's the best to get started and such?

I can honestly say that I do not think I am ready to take the life of another creature at this moment in time, so I will be primarily shooting targets for the next year.

The .17 HMR is fun as heck to shoot. The wind does effect the bullet by quite a bit more so than a .22.
I have taken coyote with it at 100 yards with no issues not to mention prairie dogs.
For just target plinking I would stay with the .22 because ammo is cheap and easily found.

I love 17 HMRs

The wife and I are both avid hunters and we both have our Texas CHL. She carries a Sig P238 daily, and my carry pistol is a Sig P226. There are quite a few other firearms around the house here but I wont list them as people may think im starting a militia or something!

Well, stuck in democratic Illinois, the last state without a CCW allowance, I have a Sig P226 - tac ops edition, a Glock 22, and a S&W 357 mag. An AR and a Shotgun are next on the list.

Niteowl, what do you use to carry your 226? It's a fairly big item to conceal well.

Dan

I have a good friend that makes custom holsters, Ill get a pic of it. I have carried it for 2 years now but have been really impressed with the Springfield XD sub compacts and am considering getting one to replace my my daily carry. Im just not sure if I want to leave the reliability of my Sig!

The .17 HMR is fun as heck to shoot. The wind does effect the bullet by quite a bit more so than a .22.
I have taken coyote with it at 100 yards with no issues not to mention prairie dogs.
For just target plinking I would stay with the .22 because ammo is cheap and easily found.

Good to know! May have just saved a few hundred dollars!

Does anyone have any opinions on 870s vs. 887s? Also the remington super cell pad?

I have a good friend that makes custom holsters, Ill get a pic of it. I have carried it for 2 years now but have been really impressed with the Springfield XD sub compacts and am considering getting one to replace my my daily carry. Im just not sure if I want to leave the reliability of my Sig!

That'd be awesome if you could get me a pic of it. Also, I have to say, the XD was my second choice to the Sig, but it had multiple misfires on the range when testing it, and the trigger felt like mush to me. You had to go through 3 different pull progressions to get the gun to fire, and I know it wasn't just the range's gun, because I tested out 3 different models and had the same issue with the trigger pull, the misfires, were with 2 of 3, which I may blame on teh range not taking good care of them, but it's never something I've worried about in my Sig.

Dan

Looking into an 870.. could someone explain the benefits/disadvantages of getting a normal Magnum vs. a Super Magnum?

Ordered a Springfield Armory XDs 45 cal pistol today, this will be I think the ultimate carry wepon, as it is only .980 wide and holds 5+1. Have been readind everything I could find on this gun, was going to go with the 9mm shield , but really want the reach out and knock someone down of the 45.

I know a few that carry a P226, but not many, and i understand about not being sure about shifting away from the Sig. I have a SP2022(9mm), and P229(.357sig), i have carried both before.

Looking into an 870.. could someone explain the benefits/disadvantages of getting a normal Magnum vs. a Super Magnum?

Depends on what you want the 870 for, the platform is proven, and if just for home defense then chances are you will only have to worry about shooting 2 3/4 shells so no need for magnum loads. Lots of great reading out there, about what loads work best and get the job done. In the end it comes down to what you shoot best, and can quickly recover and ready to shoot again.

Ordered a Springfield Armory XDs 45 cal pistol today, this will be I think the ultimate carry wepon, as it is only .980 wide and holds 5+1. Have been readind everything I could find on this gun, was going to go with the 9mm shield , but really want the reach out and knock someone down of the 45.

Shield is first on the list, but i took a hard look at the XDs 45, and it's a near gun and pretty popular with a few people i know. I don't have a .45 so looking to a 1911 as well and kill two birds with one bullet.

I have some.

Glock 30, 30 OD
Glock 23
Glock 27 OD
Glock 26 OD
Glock 19 FDE
Walther PPS
Beretta 92FS
Mossberg 930 SPX
Spikes tactical M4 carbine 5.56/.223

Have my CCW, and usually carry either the 26, 27, 30, or PPS.

Just cancelled my order for a stainless Les Baer Stinger and sold my Dan Wesson Guardian, because medical bills are mounting in my family. I figure I have enough weapons to hold it down, if needed!

Golf, Guns, and Skiing are my hobbies...

HUGE fan of the SPX 930, i have almost 700 rounds through mine and it just eats anything.

Depends on what you want the 870 for, the platform is proven, and if just for home defense then chances are you will only have to worry about shooting 2 3/4 shells so no need for magnum loads. Lots of great reading out there, about what loads work best and get the job done. In the end it comes down to what you shoot best, and can quickly recover and ready to shoot again.

The gun would be primarily for target and bird hunting.

I just added a thompson center pro hunter in a 270! Scoped it with a Nikon monarch 4x16x42.

Here a pic.

4a5abyma.jpg

I carry my Smith M&P 9C . I personally think it's the best most reliable gun I have owned other than my 1911 .45 that is 40 years old lol.

Here are two of the four that are under my bed.

Springfield Armory Xdm .40
IMG_20121007_123610.jpg

IMG_20121007_123622.jpg

And this was supposed to be my carry but its next to impossible to get the permit in MD, for now. Sig Saur P239 SAS, this one is a .40 too but small with a single stack
IMG_20121007_123646.jpg

IMG_20121007_123701.jpg

Beautiful guns Kmac.

Thanks redlyne

Heres a few I just cleaned after a few rounds. Bottom right is my daily carry.
Screenshot2012-10-07at23655PM.png

Is that a glock Vince?

Bottom right- Smith&Wesson M&P .40 compact
Middle- Glock 17
Left- Ruger .40
Top- Smith&Wesson 19-3 .357

I like it. Lots of oem's in there.

I like it. Lots of oem's in there.

I had a pistol bug a few years ago and then sold a few off so this is what I have left that I still shoot. A few others are just old and I do not shoot them anymore. I am thinking about a Kimber UCII but just not sure. I have shot 2 of them, 1 had serious jamming issues with cheap brass. The other was fantastic, had laser sight , good weight and accurate. Also thinking about a .380 but not sure which model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back