HBO Future of golf!

As a new to golf (16 months) frequent player, I'd take issue that newbies automatically slow pace of play. Using today as an example. I played in a twosome... we teed off at 10 a.m. We played 18 holes and made a second turn to go for 27. A third joined us for the last nine. We finished the 27 at 2:35 p.m. That's 4 1/2 hours for 27 holes of golf. Both of us have played for less than 2 years. There were times we waited to tee off, but nothing out of the ordinary. The pace was relaxed. We did play through one foursome of "EXPERIENCED" golfers. Of course, this experience could be seen as skewed, because it is our home course and we are pretty familiar with it. Frankly, I'd feel put out if a Marshal or other players tried to make us play faster. I play golf for enjoyment and to improve my game. I won't be pressed into hitting an unsure shot because someone is in a hurry. If a person only has an hour and a half for a game they need to find their nearest putt putt. A busy golf course is not going to accommodate their tight schedule.

In reply to Stevie-a.... in golf, all things are not created equal. As a relatively new player my average score is 84. Today I shot an 80. My playing partner shot 98. I'd run out of fingers and toes to count if I used them to count how many golfers have been playing for 10 years plus and still shoot in the 90s or 100s. Or low handicappers who have to go through a complicated pre-shot routine and putting routine, in-between putting down their cigar or beer can. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say more experienced golfers naturally waste enough time to make up for extra strokes hit by less skilled golfers. Either way, I'm not particularly miffed at pace of play at any course I play.

Last edited:
Rather simple to prove with all things being equal, as you've stated. Player 1 is a scratch golfer, so we'll use 72 as his stroke total. Player 2 is a new player who shoots 110-120..so we'll use 115 as his stroke total. Both players take 60 seconds to go thru their pre-shot routine and to strike the ball.

Player 1's total shot time: 72 strokes x 60 seconds = 4,320 seconds / 60 seconds per minute = 72 minutes in total shot time.

Player 2's total shot time: 115 strokes x 60 seconds = 6,900 seconds / 60 seconds per minute = 115 minutes in total shot time

This is a difference of 43 minutes. Neither player is playing any faster than the other, simply going thru their motions of playing a round at their respective skill levels -- and one will take nearly an hour longer to finish a round.

*I'm not suggesting a player take 60 seconds to play their shot, I used that simply as a round figure for calculation purposes. At 30 seconds per shot, the difference is still 21 minutes.

This doesn't take into consideration the prospects of having to look for a ball in the rough, trees, etc...as we are keeping all things equal, but in reality, a new player is going to spray the ball all over the course whereas a good player will keep the ball in play for the most part. Those other aspects are only going to expand the difference between the amount of time differing skill levels will take to play the game.
Wrong.

Growing up I played a course that has hosted multiple major tournaments. As kids we'd regularly score in the 110s and 120s. We also regularly walked (hoofing it) in 3.5 hours.

Why? Because before we were allowed to play the course required we have a sit down etiquette class. We were told if we did not keep pace of play, and get in at 4 hours or better, our privileges would be pulled and we could only play with our parents.

Guess what, we never played in four hours even though we weren't strong enough (yet) to handle the course with scores in the 80s.

Stroke count does not equal time.

I think this whole discussion begs a particular question: How many of us have invited a non-golfer to come play golf?

If its about growing the game, maybe we should look in the mirror and ask ourselves what exactly have we each done to grow the game? Ever offer to take someone to the range and help them out? Or to let them use your extra set of clubs if they have none?

I have done some myself, but probably not enough to warrant a self-high five.

Maybe all a new golfer may need is patience and an encouraging smile.

On the 15" hole. Yes the hole is larger, but you still have to get the ball to the green, so you are, for all intents and purposes, playing golf. I would love a larger hole on the green. To hell with this itty-bitty hole. There are so many things that have evolved in this game (equipment, balls, clothes, courses, technology), why hasn't the game evolved?

Arguing the Pace of play still isn't the answer, and I agree that good golfers tend to be slower than beginners. Hell, every instructor, coach, and player I've ever talked to has said to slow down and aim, etc..

In the end, this is a game. It is meant to be played. The question remains, "How do we keep people interested?"

What about 6 hole rounds? Wouldn't that chop the golf course into three parts and cut rounds down to and hour and a half? It would reduce costs and speed play as well. The club would need a shuttle or two but that's about all.

Proper marshalling and giving players a 10 minute plus gap in start times helps with speed of play too. There are less people on the course so people can start and play at a faster pace. It flat out works. Alberta golf started doing that last year and there was considerable surprise when the first group finished in 4 hours 20. There was more surprise as by the end of the tournament day the average finish time was 4 hours 11 min.

Marshalling is the other fix. Good marshals with good people skills and a stack of rain checks for the back 9 will help speed play as well.

Some good par 3 courses in the area with beginner golf programs will help as well. Learning the game and practising the short game is great for golfers of all ages. These courses attract seniors who find regular courses too long and they are great for younger kids and beginners to learn the game on. I play a few spring rounds at a couple of these in the area just to get the iron and chipping/short game in shape. Most can be played with just a few clubs, like the old 7 club sets that were around when I was a kid.

I think this whole discussion begs a particular question: How many of us have invited a non-golfer to come play golf?

If its about growing the game, maybe we should look in the mirror and ask ourselves what exactly have we each done to grow the game? Ever offer to take someone to the range and help them out? Or to let them use your extra set of clubs if they have none?

I keep a set of decent loaner clubs in my shed for just that reason. We also keep an email list of people at work who are game. We actually brought in 2 new golfers last year through the email list and with the help of second hand "loaner" sets. I think part of it is making it a social event of sorts and another part is finding the right course. The local county courses here are shortened 9 hole "executive" courses that are perfect for playing a shorter round after work, even with new players.

I think the "executive" 9 hole course is the way to go. Less land, less maintenance, and more people playing a shorter round. Most golfers, or at least the borderline/casual ones who are a target audience have a slow swing speed, slice the ball, and want to be done in just a couple hours. I think the focus should be building affordable, executive courses where even the average player has the potential to par a few holes a round. The guys who drive 300 and have a 0 handicap are the exception rather than the rule.

I think enlarging the hole to 15 inches is excessive, but I think what would be good is to move toward a "Ford Model T" approach to golf course building- straight foward, relatively easy courses that can be played in a relatively short time and can be accessible to the weekend/after work hack to at least have a shot at par on a couple holes each round. The course should be short, the fairways relatively forgiving, and maybe have only one cut of semi-rough outside the fairway. Make it easy to maintain as courses go and keep the hole layouts interesting but relatively simple. No excessive water features or gimmick greens, just straightforward, relatively "easy" golf at an affordable price.

Veterans Organizations take golf as a therapy very serious. As such, I managed to bring in 5 new golfers so far this year. Initially, that's not a big impact on golf overall, because we provide them with Golf clubs, bag, push cart and golf balls free of charge. But, if they take to the game, they may make an impact later.

Veterans Organizations take golf as a therapy very serious. As such, I managed to bring in 5 new golfers so far this year. Initially, that's not a big impact on golf overall, because we provide them with Golf clubs, bag, push cart and golf balls free of charge. But, if they take to the game, they may make an impact later.

Exactly. Every introduction is the potential for a new golfer. All we can do is plant the seed and water it.

I just started late last year and already got an extra set of starter clubs. just need a bag for em as I'm using the starter bag for my current clubs (saving for a Staff bag). Then I'll be set to lend that set to a newbie like myself. I got a buddy who just started this year and already has a used starter set he bought. He enjoys playing as well. Other people I know have already been golfing for years now though so it'll be tough finding folks who have never been.

[didn't watch the video] You've got entire generations coming up who have both working parents who struggle to pay for college. You have kids who work 60+ hour workweeks and the ones who don't are the losers who don't care much for rules or competitiveness to begin with. Golf is all about rules, sure you can go out and whack a ball and pretend your Tiger woods, but it don't mean nothing unless you follow the rules. The best competitive minds will not be playing golf ever. Just ex-jocks and idiots in general (most affected by downsizing and pay decreases).

Back