Hello from Spokane

Is La Cocina and Cantina still open on Broadway? I used to tend bar there.
The Apple Cup was a good game. I am actually a long time Husky fan. If I weren't a WSU alum I don't know if I'd be a Cougar football fan, I'm still mad at WSU for siding with the rest of the PAC-10 for the sanctions that led to Don James quitting.

Yes the UW has been lost in the wilderness so to speak in regards to football since James stepped down.

Not sure about the restaurants on Broadway mostly in the North end of town here ie. Lynnwood & Bothell

One of the Westside advantages during the winter here is that we can play just about all year round. Just shot Willows on Saturday. A little cold but they have a great twilight rate.

Im a spokanite as well! I live in the valley off evergreen. I spent many an evening at Chester creek this past summer. Mainly to get my 5 yr old involved in golf. By the end of the summer he was striking the ball pretty good :). Anyways, c_ault, there are numerous courses in our area as you know, my favorite local courses are downriver, sundance and hangman. If you really want to treat yourself go to priest lake and play their course. It's immaculate and has some of the best scenery around. I was able to use the free round of golf that was given out at last years golf show to play up there this year. This was only my second year of committed golf. I got all set with equipment this year, what a process, and will join a mens league this coming spring. My low round was an 86 but I'm mostly a mid to high 90's scorer.

Good luck, can't wait for spring!

Welcome to THP, I feel your pain on the snow, we've got a blizzard forecast for the weekend. :banghead:

Yes the UW has been lost in the wilderness so to speak in regards to football since James stepped down.

Not sure about the restaurants on Broadway mostly in the North end of town here ie. Lynnwood & Bothell

One of the Westside advantages during the winter here is that we can play just about all year round. Just shot Willows on Saturday. A little cold but they have a great twilight rate.

I lived in Seattle a couple of times, both winters it snowed so I should avoid it over there so you all can enjoy the golf. :D
I do think the Huskies are on the right track now with the coaching staff. It's also good that WSU is keeping Wulff around at least another year. This will be his year to prove he belongs coaching at that level.

Im a spokanite as well! I live in the valley off evergreen. I spent many an evening at Chester creek this past summer. Mainly to get my 5 yr old involved in golf. By the end of the summer he was striking the ball pretty good :). Anyways, c_ault, there are numerous courses in our area as you know, my favorite local courses are downriver, sundance and hangman. If you really want to treat yourself go to priest lake and play their course. It's immaculate and has some of the best scenery around. I was able to use the free round of golf that was given out at last years golf show to play up there this year. This was only my second year of committed golf. I got all set with equipment this year, what a process, and will join a mens league this coming spring. My low round was an 86 but I'm mostly a mid to high 90's scorer.

Good luck, can't wait for spring!

Hello and thanks for the information. We have a 5 year old that is interested in learning to play but she has such a hard time listening to just basic stuff (wash your hands, don't talk with food in your mouth, etc.) that I am holding off a little longer before showing her anything (I don't want to wake up to golf balls breaking windows). I'll have to check out the courses you mentioned, except maybe downriver. I had a bad experience there in the pro-shop that put me off on it some (how hard is it to stop a conversation to sell a bucket of balls?). Of course it is a county course so that person may not even be around anymore.

Hope all is well, the snow is almost gone so maybe hitting balls isn't too far off.

Welcome !

Spokane is a great golf town. Many courses in in town, and more towards ID. Indian Canyon is great if you have your A game, I was told Hogan liked IC. I had more fun at Downriver though.

Im a spokanite as well! I live in the valley off evergreen.

Great another Spokaloo here! I'm in Liberty Lake, so the 3 of us will have to get out this spring.
If you haven't played Liberty Lake since the renovation, you owe it to yourself to do so.
They did a fantastic job.

Welcome to :thp: Ifyou ever get over to western Washington, look me up on here and we'll play a round or two.

Welcome to THP!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

any of my spokanites belong to any of the courses here? Im debating on Ezzy or Downriver for this years membership, Im not happy with Ezzy and the internal politics but am willing to overlook this if I can play with more people I know, or am getting to know :)

I don't belong to any, but may buy a year pass at Painted Hills.

I think there is a good deal for County courses, then you aren't limited to Downriver.

Welcome to :thp:

any of my spokanites belong to any of the courses here? Im debating on Ezzy or Downriver for this years membership, Im not happy with Ezzy and the internal politics but am willing to overlook this if I can play with more people I know, or am getting to know :)

Membership.....to a men's club?
There is no membership to the courses per se other than the 2 country clubs. (Manito and The Spokane CC.)

I'm in the Meadowood/Liberty Lake men's club.
Ask your friends where they play and join the men's club there or just pick one.
I've been a member of men's clubs at several of the courses in the area, and I found that there is a certain amount of internal politics in all of them.

You can buy a county or a city discount pass which I highly recommed if you are going to play a lot next year. The county pass gets you Meadowood, Liberty Lake and Hangman. The city pass gets you Indian Canyon, Downriver, Qualchan and Ezzy. I think that's all of them, but if I missed one somewhere, I'm sure someone can fill you in.

Membership.....to a men's club?
There is no membership to the courses per se other than the 2 country clubs. (Manito and The Spokane CC.)

I'm in the Meadowood/Liberty Lake men's club.
Ask your friends where they play and join the men's club there or just pick one.
I've been a member of men's clubs at several of the courses in the area, and I found that there is a certain amount of internal politics in all of them.

You can buy a county or a city discount pass which I highly recommed if you are going to play a lot next year. The county pass gets you Meadowood, Liberty Lake and Hangman. The city pass gets you Indian Canyon, Downriver, Qualchan and Ezzy. I think that's all of them, but if I missed one somewhere, I'm sure someone can fill you in.

Sorry, my verbage is incorrect, yes I meant joining a mens league/club. I do get the city pass, definetly worth it. What days do you guys play for your mens league? My step father is in Downriver's mens club and they play wednesday afternoons, which works perfectly for me. I think ezzy plays theirs on tuesdays and thursdays.

The men's league stuff is usually run on Saturday mornings I believe.
Then of course there are the occasional tourney's and such.
I don't do much with the mens club. I mostly join for the hdcp.
I do plan to do more with them next spring since we are all moved in to the new house here in Liberty Lake.

Snowing :disapointed:

At least I got to hit balls Wed. for a few hours.

Are there any good golf shops around here other than Wide World (I'm happy they finally got around to being competitive in their pricing)?

Welcome aboard!

Are there any good golf shops around here other than Wide World (I'm happy they finally got around to being competitive in their pricing)?

Unfortunately, no. Your next best bet is the pro shop at pine acres par 3 course in north Spokane. For being a driving range/9 hole par 3 facility they have by far the best selection of equipment for a pro shop. I found a pair of discontinued Nike Shox golf shoes there dirt cheap, and they are by far the best golf Shoes I've owned... They are as comfortable as the running shoes. Wide world is a good shop, good guys there.

Did you go to painted hills Wednesday to hit? I thought about going last week but didn't do it.

Did you go to painted hills Wednesday to hit? I thought about going last week but didn't do it.

I don't think Painted Hills is open. I don't know if anything around here is open actually. There is a field by my parent's house that I go to to hit balls. It's only about 130 yards long so I only really hit full lob wedges there. You can hit some other clubs there but I don't hit anything else full after knocking LWs over the side after thinning them a few times (there's a street after the field drops off and it is very frightening when you see a ball go over the edge).

I'll have to check out Pine Acres shop again, I haven't been out there in a couple of years.

I don't think Painted Hills is open. I don't know if anything around here is open actually. There is a field by my parent's house that I go to to hit balls. It's only about 130 yards long so I only really hit full lob wedges there. You can hit some other clubs there but I don't hit anything else full after knocking LWs over the side after thinning them a few times (there's a street after the field drops off and it is very frightening when you see a ball go over the edge).

I'll have to check out Pine Acres shop again, I haven't been out there in a couple of years.

ah man thats awesome. Ive been playing around in my office with a 52 and my putter, i made a make shift pop up chipper catcher thing and am just doing that, and I expensed a 10' putting mat for the office too. Wonder if that will get through corporate.....haha.

ah man thats awesome. Ive been playing around in my office with a 52 and my putter, i made a make shift pop up chipper catcher thing and am just doing that, and I expensed a 10' putting mat for the office too. Wonder if that will get through corporate.....haha.

That's great, I hope corporate doesn't have a problem.

I wish I still had my chipping net but it got a little mashed. I would like to get a better putting green but just don't have the space right now, the one's that roll up just didn't seem to be too helpful. Maybe I'll get a little time this weekend to clear up my garage. I think there is enough room to make where I can set up a matt and net to practice drives.

Back