How cold is too cold

Walking: It needs to be above 50 or I'll pass. In a cart: I can do down to 40 or so before I wimp out.

Anything in the low to mid 30s in the NW means its usually snowing, so low to mid 40s is my cut-off.

I guess I am a wimp when it comes to golf. Once it drops out of the 50's I'm done until spring. Occasionally Ill break out the clubs to goto the heated range near by, but I wont be playing again until the spring (unless we get a random mid winter heatwave).

Played last December in MD it was 32 and all the ponds were frozen over from the week of 20's they had. Went out and pared the first 5 holes on each the front and back. Then when my hands went numb on the last 4 on each I was double or worse. But hey it was fun and I got to watch my buddy drive a 430yrd par 4 cause he hit it off the frozen pond and it rolled all the way there! Nothing a good whiskey drink cant fix. :D

I'll play in the mid 30s if the wind isn't blowing. If it is blowing, the mid 40s is as low as I'll go. Luckily down here, there's not many days that are too cold to play golf.

Anything below 40*F is too cold for me to play. If it's raining, I'd prefer not play in anything under mid-40s.

I have played in low 30s twice this fall. No wind. Sun out. Dressed for it. Started around 11:30, playing in 3 hours on a mostly empty course. Greens weren't too good, but I :love:ed it otherwise. Invigorating!

40 and no wind. I did once play 35 with wind. Wont be doing that again.

Anywhere in the 30s' and I am fine. Problem is there is no such thing as no wind in New Hampshire in the winter and that is the killer.

For guys looking for a glove recommendation, I have tried a number of different winter golf gloves for obvious reasons. There are not that many types left out there to try as most don't work and therefore don't sell. However the only ones I feel good enough about to recommend are the Zero Restriction winter gloves. They are the only ones I have found that offer a reasonable amount of grip combined with a reasonable amount of protection from the cold.

my big three is
wind
cold
rain
i can handle each individually but any combo of those is a deal breaker for me

Too cold? Shmeh. As long as they'll let me play and the microcart can get through, we're all good!

The bonuses are just too funny.
A: Don't have to worry about the water hazards if they're frozen
B: If your partner is annoying and/or taking to long belt them with a snow ball. Our rule last year was any shot taking more then 30 seconds once you reached the ball earned you a snow ball to the head.
C: Putting is just so silly it's hard not to have fun.
D: Since no one else is generally out there, everything zips along nicely. We managed 36 holes in the time of 18 easily and didn't have to pay for the second round.
E: Ever wanted to hit a drive that went 300 plus yards? It's certainly possible with a good run out.

How cold is too cold? <40* or when the greens are closed because frost.

my big three is
wind
cold
rain
i can handle each individually but any combo of those is a deal breaker for me

sounds like every round I play in March/April and October.

There is a place by my house that has a heated driving range (its a semi-open facility with heaters you turn on overhead). It makes practice in the snow much easier, but as far as playing I would have to say anything below 40 degrees. If I ever get a cart cover that temperature will drop. I love to play when no one is on the course.

I've played in 40 degrees as long as it's clear, the course here says if its above 40 and no frost (in the am) go at it. The ranges here have heaters in the ceilings so u can hit all winter, but we get this every year, I cant believe parts of Florida are in the 40's crazy

Mid 40's and I am hoping it isn't too windy. When I play in weather like that, it warms up after a couple of hours and I start shedding the layers like a Chippendale...don't hate.

*cancels my golf trip to greenbay* hahah

You would have to be batsh!t crazy to golf right now. -6 today. I've been to San Diego, I thought it was fantastic.

Lewis Black said:
And what's the best job you can have in the world. It's being the weatherperson in San Diego, CA. It doesn't get any better than that. You're on TV for less than a minute. You've got a 6-figure income. They're like 'what's the weather going to be like, Lewis?' 'Nice....back to you.'

:zdance:
Mid 40's and I am hoping it isn't too windy. When I play in weather like that, it warms up after a couple of hours and I start shedding the layers like a Chippendale...don't hate.

I'm ok in playing in the 30's. Usually this means the ground is hard and theres no mud. In 2008 winter it was that cold the whole time and I was able to get a ton of rounds in. so no biggy there.

Sent from my brain using thumbs 1 & 2.

I usually play into the mid 30s, depends on the wind, precipitation, etc. I've played a couple times in light snow, it's really not bad when you're walking like a real man.:curl-lip:

Here the courses just close down and that is the end of that. The fact of snow eventually is so self evident that they hold out as long as it is reasonable to do so and then prep for winter. There are some courses with sand based greens that don't have to cover their greens for the winter but there are others that are not sand based and they must cover. They have no choice.

Regardless of greens conditions many feel compelled to put up snow barriers to keep it from drifting and piling up too deeply on any one part of the a hole or the course in general. All by way of saying that willingness to play is one thing....finding a place to play can be something else again. I will likely be relegated to the heated bay driving ranges until spring.

I have played when it was 34 and my buddies golf towl froze to the side of the cart. I think it just depends on how much of a man you are. Just kidding, but seriously, I will play in just about any conditions.

For me it is not so much temp as it is when my club either closes course (late Dec-Feb) or when I can't find ball in the snow anymore.

Back