How do you gauge a “3/4” shot?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
What do you do when you need to hit a partial shot be it 10%, 1/2, 3/4? Or more options if you have them?

Do you have a mechanical process or thought process to hit consistent partial distances?

Is it purely feel?

Purely feel for me, I don't have any mechanical/thought process. I'm also not very consistent, so maybe those two things are related. :LOL:

Purely feel for me. I practice partial shots a lot

What do you do when you need to hit a partial shot be it 10%, 1/2, 3/4? Or more options if you have them?

Do you have a mechanical process or thought process to hit consistent partial distances?

Is it purely feel?
Me personally it is purely feel. I look at the distance and feel it in my swing and let it go!

Feel. I've practiced hitting partial shots with my 7i-58 to have some idea of a half-club or 3/4 shot. I try to focus on not letting my hands get past shoulder height whether I'm gripping down some amount or not and try to swing normalish. It's not as successful as I would like it to be.

SWAG and go with my instincts. Just like a catcher trying to nab someone stealing 2nd.

Aim small, miss small. Or short. 🤣

I try to have a reference point for 1/2 or 3/4 swings. Everything else is just feel around those reference points.

Prayer this early in the season. Usually by May I got the feel back.

I try to have a reference point for 1/2 or 3/4 swings. Everything else is just feel around those reference points.
What are the reference points?

I can easily control the back swing for different positions but the follow thru is hard for me. It took a long time to control stopping the club going through a full follow through.

Purely feel for me. I have no mechanical process.

Yeah pretty much all feel of limiting my backswing. Always take a few practice swings when the need arises

A feel built up through muscle memory of hitting it certain distances during practice and on the course.

When I practice it is a mechanical thought that is based on arm swing on the backswing. I also have some thoughts on the follow through depending on what I am trying to do. This is mostly with wedges. On the course I make a practice swing with the length I am looking for then try to replicate that without thinking too much on the actual shot.

On clubs longer than wedge it is a bit shorter backswing and less follow through with the ball about 1 ball width back of standard. It is very important to keep the body rotating though not stopping the rotation. If you stop the rotation you throw the hands and miss left.

I am quite good at both of these techniques but I practice them a lot.

What are the reference points?
I tend to think waist high for 1/2 and shoulder high for 3/4. Not always perfect and sometimes depends on how well I'm hitting the ball that day. I will say those are my reference points when thinking through my shot, but when I actually swing, I'm sure some muscle memory and general feel kicks in as well.

This would be a place where a golf sim at home could help my game a lot. Being able to repeatedly practice these less than full shots and know the distances you’re hitting would be a game changer for me.

Its a feel thing and as I learned today, my feels aren't very good haha

I am probably more mechanical than feel.

When doing the wedge matrix for 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 shots on SkyTrak my 1/4 shot is the hands just outside my back thigh with wrist hinge, 1/2 is the L to L drill, and 3/4 is a feel that I'm stopping between the backswing L and my full swing going to a shoulder high straight arm finish.

For me 3/4 distance is about a 2/3 swing. 1/2 distance is about a 40% swing. That makes it pretty easy to feel out. I just pick the PW or 52* that will get closest to that distance. Like my PW goes 100 yards so a 3/4 shot is 75. My 52* goes about 85 or so a 3/4 shot is about 65. Like wise a 50% shot with my PW is 50. So I will use a PW in that 75 yard range and a SW in that 60-65 range and a PW in the 50 yard range. A little unintuitive but those are the shots I know.

Multiple sessions on the ST+ wedge matrix. 1/4 is around hip, 1/2 is waist with a little more wrist hinge, 3/4 is shoulder. Adjust as necessary, or choke down slightly.

I go off of feel.

Feely guesstimate on my part. I don’t practice so I just go with an educated guess.

Back