How do you gauge a “3/4” shot?

It's all feel for me and that's why I get it wrong most of the time.

When practicing this on the wedge matrix on the Skytrak I kind of do feel plus picturing a clock on points in the backswing. This is definitely something I need to get better at.

3/4 my left arm is parallel and the shaft is just short of vertical. 1/2 I feel like left arm is 45* to the ground and the shaft is parallel

For a 50% feel I swing to waist level and finish at waist level.

For 75% its shoulder height to shoulder height follow through.
Pretty much this.

Controlling backswing and follow through lengths is the approach I attempt to use. Some successes and some failures. Just like the rest of the game. 🙄

Shoulder-to-shoulder is my thought, also might choke down on the grip a bit. If trying to knock spin off and keep it lower then also think swing easy

For me, it's

1/4 swing - knee to knee
1/2 swing - hip to hip
3/4 swing - armpit to armpit.

I have wedge matrix stock yardages for those, and I try not to stray too far off of them. "On the green" is fine by me. Pin hunting would take a lot more practice hours to build touch than I spend.

Back swing height ...
Hip ... 1/4 shot
Shoulder ... 3/4 shot

Plus feel as well 👍

Mine was feel. Thought I hot a nice 3/4 shot until someone recorded me. My 3/4 was a full. My half was a 7/8. And my 1/4 was a half.

I'm now in the process of establishing backswing lengths. Still go by feel at the moment. But I'm a little better.

What do you do when you need to hit a partial shot be it 10%, 1/2, 3/4? Or more options if you have them?

Do you have a mechanical process or thought process to hit consistent partial distances?

Is it purely feel?
Depends on conditions but two things or both.

Let's say wind is not a factor...

Grip down a 1/2 inch or maybe 1 inch
Take a 3/4 swing
Both.

With a wedge, I may open the face slightly.

The shorter the shot, the more feel based for me. I have stock distances at 50 and 75 yards with my 9i and 7i where I gauge my backswing by the clock face.

Practice. My 8/9/PW/GW and SW have spent time executing my 3/4 swings with each. Find lower ball flight and about 5 yards less than a full shot. Once I get so close that the swing is less than 3/4 with SW it's all feel. And analysis as to where the bad miss is. Lean toward outcomes of the good miss.

I'm all feel and it would probably help me with my short game to be more mechanical.

Lots and lots of repetition as well as the monitor to know I’m hitting the number I want, then usually video to see where I’m stopping and making a mental note of it.

Nothing has improved my wedge game like learning partial shots and adding that versatility.

I guess feel, I know what 100% feels like, and my 56 is 100 yards, so kind of math it out. Usually do pretty good if I don't chicken out and try to decelerate. Longer clubs choke down half inch for every 5 yards I want to take off.
Plus my yard is about 100 yards long, and I would practice various length shots into my kids kiddie pool. My wife hated anything over 35 yards because it brought the house into play.

By feel for the height of my hands in my back swing. That said, I couldn't tell you where my hands are in my back swing for any length shot.

I just practice different length shots, with different clubs a lot.

I use a mechanical idea but I know I overrun my arms. 3/4 is arm parallel or L to L. 1/2 is shaft parallel and hands almost hip high. Anything shorter is pure guess and feel. In between those two I’ll either accelerate the club more or open the face some. I want to get more on course experience with my flippy wedges though. Same thoughts but I scoop the ball instead of driving it. Same distances on the range with a very different flight.

With these shots, I have to concentrate on body rotation more than hands and arms, otherwise it's way too easy to get out of sync.

With 48 deg PW and 54 deg SW i have a small card that I have recorded all my distances for when my hands get to waist height, chest height, shoulder height and full swing.

8 different distances for two clubs. I think the bottom one SW-W is something like 35 yards.

I could also do shoulder height for my other irons but haven't gone that far yet.

What do you do when you need to hit a partial shot be it 10%, 1/2, 3/4? Or more options if you have them?

Do you have a mechanical process or thought process to hit consistent partial distances?

Is it purely feel?
Very little mechanical process involved other than gripping down about the same every time. The amount of backswing and follow-through are 100% feel.

I don't have a lot of natural ability in golf, but I feel like I get this right more than any other part of the game. What will throw me off more than anything is the quality of contact.

When my divot starts only 1” behind the ball instead of 3”

Is it purely feel?
Somewhat mechanical. I have some distances with what I call “waist” and “chest” level. I am much more confident in waist level than chest. I carry this in my pocket. I use “waist” level when in trouble and 5W is about 150. They come out low, so I can’t always use them.

image.jpg

Is it purely feel?
Lots of great players hit 3/4 shots all around the golf course; nearly every tee ball, fairway wood, iron and wedge shot. Especially for irons and wedges, 3/4 shots is a traditional way to play great golf.

Lots of great players hit 3/4 shots all around the golf course; nearly every tee ball, fairway wood, iron and wedge shot. Especially for irons and wedges, 3/4 shots is a traditional way to play great golf.
Cool. But how was the question

Back