Hunting - (Warning graphic photos inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend with a 10 point. He loves it, says it's pin point accurate. Curious about the accudraw compared with pulling back by hand, figure by hand less noise for a reload if the opportunity is there. Wondering about the stopping power pass 35 yards. Any input would be welcome Arkie.

From everything that I've heard, Ten Point (and their cheaper Wicked Ridge line) are all excellent crossbows. The Ten Points are on the upper end of the price scale as far as crossbows are concerned, but negative reviews of them are very rare.
Most any crossbow that shooting 260 FPS or faster, should have plenty of stopping power at 35 - 40 yards. Heck, some of the 330+ FPS crossbows are probably good out to anywhere from 50 - 60 in the hands of the right person.
With archery equipment, shot placement is of utmost importance, no matter the distance or equipment being used.

From everything that I've heard, Ten Point (and their cheaper Wicked Ridge line) are all excellent crossbows. The Ten Points are on the upper end of the price scale as far as crossbows are concerned, but negative reviews of them are very rare.
Most any crossbow that shooting 260 FPS or faster, should have plenty of stopping power at 35 - 40 yards. Heck, some of the 330+ FPS crossbows are probably good out to anywhere from 50 - 60 in the hands of the right person.
With archery equipment, shot placement is of utmost importance, no matter the distance or equipment being used.

Thanks for the feedback Arkie .I'll have to go by BPS and try out a couple of crossbows to see how well they fit in the shoulder. No problems with shot placement, with the compound bow usually after the shot the deer won't make it past 30 feet unless they are rolling down a hill. Good luck this season and be safe in the woods.

Why not put the gun down and try a bow. Probably been 10 years since I took a deer with a gun , I like the challenge with the bow. I did buy a 44 Mag. Redhawk and may outfit it with a red dot to try for the gun season.

I actually bought a Rytera Alien X last year and shot a couple video leagues and did really good with it, but I sold it. The place where I have permission to deer hunt is a couple hours away and I just don't have the time needed for bow hunting. One of the only reasons I still go during gun season is so that dad isn't out by himself. Also my wife won't eat the meat, so I end up donating it to some needy families. I am not trophy hunting anymore, if it's a mature doe I'll take it to help thin the herd.

I have permission to hunt coyotes on a lot of property just outside of town, so if I have an hour or two free I can make a couple stands.

I actually bought a Rytera Alien X last year and shot a couple video leagues and did really good with it, but I sold it. The place where I have permission to deer hunt is a couple hours away and I just don't have the time needed for bow hunting. One of the only reasons I still go during gun season is so that dad isn't out by himself. Also my wife won't eat the meat, so I end up donating it to some needy families. I am not trophy hunting anymore, if it's a mature doe I'll take it to help thin the herd.

I have permission to hunt coyotes on a lot of property just outside of town, so if I have an hour or two free I can make a couple stands.

It's all good, glad to hear that your out with your Dad to help keep him safe and close company. Time well spent. Years from now you'll be glad you took the time to be with him. Enjoy

2011 Hunting Season Thread

2011 Hunting Season Thread

Decided to start this thread for any hunters of various animals so that they could post pics or stories of their success in the 2011 season. Deer, turkeys, Elk, Wild Thainers....anything :D

Disclaimer: For the non-hunters, view pictures at your own risk.

Deer season just started here for me, and I know it did for a bunch of other guys on here too! Good luck in the woods and may the "Spirit of the Wild" (courtesy of Ted Nugent) be with you....

BulldogsGolf aka Jeremiah Johnson

I will be hunting deer this year and POSSIBLY turkey next year. I will be using a compound, a cross bow, and a .243 single shot break action at various points. Might be a good season.

Went on a week long sheep hunt a couple weeks ago. We quickly realized there were no sheep in the area and we turned the trip into an elk hunt. As it was bow only, we tried calling in an elk as they were in rut. We managed to get a 600lbs elk come in to 74 yards before we realized it was only a 5 point (only 6 points are legal). It came in and manhandled a tree for about a minute while we crept up to about 60 yards.. Man was my hart pounding! We didn't get anything other than a grouse, but it was a pretty cool trip!

I am bow only, this Saturday will be my first one off in a while. Hope to stick one in the morning, I have 2 small slickheads in the yard so if I cant stick one on the farm, blood trails will be in the yard. Virginia sucks not having Sunday hunting...

Merged with an existing thread.

Getting all the gear ready for Fall Turkey. I'll head for the Hills after the THP outing in VA. on the 29th.

Getting all the gear ready for Fall Turkey. I'll head for the Hills after the THP outing in VA. on the 29th.

I have got 2 nice birds the last 3 years, Both while deer hunting. The farm I hunt, a trapper started trapping fox's the past 5 years and the birds just exploded. I am going to bag one with my bow this year, I had a miss last year with my bow, I hit a barbed wire fence that I never saw. Good luck Sharky!

Just got back from the farm. Blinds are set, stands are up and I have my tags. I'm ready to rock. Should be fun filling 6 tags this year.

Few recent pictures from the trail cam. Nothing too exciting.
PRMS0138.jpg
[/IMG]
PRMS0169.jpg
[/IMG]
PRMS0253.jpg
[/IMG]
PRMS0484.jpg
[/IMG]

well a cold front came through and dumped some snow so the duck hunting should finally be getting hot. Goose and pheasant are just a few weeks away.

I have got 2 nice birds the last 3 years, Both while deer hunting. The farm I hunt, a trapper started trapping fox's the past 5 years and the birds just exploded. I am going to bag one with my bow this year, I had a miss last year with my bow, I hit a barbed wire fence that I never saw. Good luck Sharky!

Now that's quite the challenge Taking a Bird with the bow. Haven't tried it yet I mostly hunt public land and as you may know they get mighty weary from all the contact. Were you using a 2 man set up with one calling to take the attention away from the shooter? Didn't get one last year bagged a nice 20lb Tom 2 springs ago with a 10 inch beard.

PRMS0138.jpg
[/IMG]
PRMS0169.jpg
[/IMG]
PRMS0253.jpg
[/IMG]
PRMS0484.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice photo's from the trail cam looks like there's plenty of visitors. I'm sure the Big guy will show up during the Rut. Good Luck

One thing I love about the hunting season is that I have a brother in law that deer hunts, but only wants the head. He always holds out for the big one and most years kills one that fits the bill and I get the meat. He is a landowner so he gets to take a doe or two if he wants. Works out great for me. Plenty of meat and I never have to leave the house.

Looks like you've got a few dandy bucks to hunt. Let me know if you need any help thinning out those turkeys come spring!
We can thump a gobbler in the morning and get in 18 in the afternoon.

Looks like you've got a few dandy bucks to hunt. Let me know if you need any help thinning out those turkeys come spring!
We can thump a gobbler in the morning and get in 18 in the afternoon.

Not a bad idea! There may be a hunting lease on that farm by spring but we shouldn't have a problem finding birds on another farm!

Just talked to a meat locker in our area that is participating in the "Share the Harvest" program funded by the MDC. Short version-if you donate the entire deer, the MDC will reimburse the locker for processing and it will be distributed to families in need. Hope to be able to donate a few this year.

Not a bad idea! There may be a hunting lease on that farm by spring but we shouldn't have a problem finding birds on another farm!

Just talked to a meat locker in our area that is participating in the "Share the Harvest" program funded by the MDC. Short version-if you donate the entire deer, the MDC will reimburse the locker for processing and it will be distributed to families in need. Hope to be able to donate a few this year.

Seriously, if you get a place turkey hunt in the spring, keep me posted and I'll try to make it up for a few days of hunting.

Seriously, if you get a place turkey hunt in the spring, keep me posted and I'll try to make it up for a few days of hunting.

Will do, Arkie.

Thought I would post up a picture of the deer I'm currently after... Hope everyone has enjoyed some great hunting so far!

63a6a510.jpg

Thought I would post up a picture of the deer I'm currently after... Hope everyone has enjoyed some great hunting so far!

63a6a510.jpg

Damn Arkie, that dude's been on steroids. Good luck.

63a6a510.jpg

Good luck, Arkie. That rack certainly has some character...I like it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back