ATLGolfer

#ATLClive75
Reaction score
Handicap
I had a discussion with Hawk yesterday that made me start thinking more about ball speed and how it is affected by things other than swing speed.

Until now, I haven't really thought about the numbers that go into a golf shot. I didn't think about ball speed, launch angle or spin rate. But, yesterday I was hitting a driver at PGA SS with the following range of numbers:

Swing speed: 110-113

Ball Speed: 150-155

Launch angle: 14-18

Spin rate: 1,500-2,800

Distance numbers were okay, but not great. 255-265 carry.

Ryan mentioned that I should probably see ball speed in the 160 range, and he thought that a different shaft would help. This led me to start thinking about how the club components would affect my ball flight numbers.

The question is: Is there a particular shaft (specific characteristics) that I should now look for to increase the ball speed numbers? Or, am I generally limited to the ball speed generated by a particular club head? Or, is there something else that can be done on the product side to increase ball speed (for example, making loft/face angle adjustments to the driver)?

This is not a swing issue, per se, and I may have posted in the incorrect thread. But, I wanted to see FK's thoughts on this. Mods, if this needs to move, please do.

Could help sir. It's hard to say, but you're leaving something on the table.

Could help sir. It's hard to say, but you're leaving something on the table.

I don't know all that much about shafts and what does what. But I was with you when I saw the numbers, I thought the ball speed ideally would be in that high 150+ range. Always thought ideal BS was 1.5 of what your SS was. So if you swing 100, ideal BS would be around 150.

I have that feeling too.

When I looked at the launch and spin numbers for particular drives, I was thinking that those were pretty close to ideal. I had quite a few 17-ish launch and 1,700-ish spin, which I understand is supposed to be pretty ideal for this particular driver. (I don't want to turn this into a driver thread, but it should be obvious which one I was hitting).

The distance numbers, though, were lacking with those conditions. The only remaining variable is ball speed, which made me wonder if something was affecting it.

Seth,

What kinds of shafts were in those drivers? Stiff? X-Stiff? What models? Based on those numbers, you're getting smash factors well below 1.4, where you'd like to be at least 1.45. I'd agree with Hawk you're leaving something on the table. Were you getting center face contact? That's the biggest factor in smash factor, and a shaft that's loading properly for your swing is another.

That's a smash factor in the high 1.3's. From what I gather, you are a solid player. I concur with Hawk.

It all depends in where you are hitting it on the face, I agree that your ball speeds are a bit low for that club head speed, and distance is there to be gained. The first question would be, are you hitting the ball in the center of the face consistently? That is the key to maximizing ball speeds. Before knowing that, it would be hard to recommend anything.

I sort of assumed you were seeing mostly center contact btw. Since you're #Clive75 and all.

Stock, stiff shaft. I had a lot of shots that were right around the center of the club face. (I had a few that weren't as well, but I left those numbers outside of the range I put in the first post.)

I'm sure that hitting the center of the club has a big impact. Not much that I can change for that, except of course getting more accurate.

Could a different shaft give me a better smash factor without altering the launch or spin numbers?

I rarely look at swing speed. I focus more on ball speed and Launch angle.

When we were in California on the launch monitors. Some of us were seeing ball speeds 160s with swing speeds in the 110+ range. Launch angles being in the mid low to mid teens. My spin numbers stayed in the 26-2800 range. Now if you add the smash factors into the equation it doesn't compute I don't think. The distances we were seeing seemed pretty decent.

FWIW, ball speed starts with good contact. You can achieve slight improvements with shaft changes and loft changes, but smash factor is directly correlated with good contact. Having seen you play, I wonder if you were getting cheated a little bit on the ball speed with the simulator.

When we were in California on the launch monitors. Some of us were seeing ball speeds 160s with swing speeds in the 110+ range. Launch angles being in the mid low to mid teens. My spin numbers stayed in the 26-2800 range. Now if you add the smash factors into the equation it doesn't compute I don't think. The distances we were seeing seemed pretty decent.

I would love to know what my ball speed numbers were with the Alpha and Tour Green shaft. Particularly the Tour Green shaft. That shaft was really nice, and I was pounding balls with that combo.

It looks like I will be pondering shafts...

What about the golf ball itself? Doesn't it play a roll in the ball speed?
I think I remember reading in a different thread that you have been fit with a Bridgestone ball. Did you hit that ball to generate those numbers?

Stock, stiff shaft. I had a lot of shots that were right around the center of the club face. (I had a few that weren't as well, but I left those numbers outside of the range I put in the first post.)

I'm sure that hitting the center of the club has a big impact. Not much that I can change for that, except of course getting more accurate.

Could a different shaft give me a better smash factor without altering the launch or spin numbers?

Something certainly might help you deliver the club head to the ball better. You could work with different heads and loft adjustments to get the launch where you want it. You're a strong swinger and have a repeatable swing. No reason why you couldn't get something to work imo.

I rarely look at swing speed. I focus more on ball speed and Launch angle.

I think you'd have to look at all of them in conjunction to maximize what you get from what you're putting in.

160/110=1.45

@ATL - yes to new shaft affecting ball speed; ??? about doing that without also changing launch and spin

I think you'd have to look at all of them in conjunction to maximize what you get from what you're putting in.

Oh no doubt. They are all a piece of the pie. But I think as internet golfers, we focus too much on swing speed.

A shaft could bring a more consistent impact if it matches your swing better than the stock shaft does, think of a rubber band, a thicker one will be more consistent in how much you can stretch it, that makes it easier to hit the same spots. A shaft is similar although there are more variables, one that is more consistent for your swing will allow you to get similar action through the swing and bring center face contact more often.

This is one area that is really a new form of improvement for us. I so so so wish I would live close to a store that would do this for us. Living in the country stinks at times... :(

nice swing speed..you are doing a lot right with that

What about the golf ball itself? Doesn't it play a roll in the ball speed?
I think I remember reading in a different thread that you have been fit with a Bridgestone ball. Did you hit that ball to generate those numbers?

That's a good point as well. I was using the PGA SS range balls with this driver.

What makes me think there was an issue with the driver/shaft combo instead of the LM readings is that I was getting really nice numbers with a 3W and hybrid on the same LM, but the driver numbers (distance wise) were lacking a bit.

Oh no doubt. They are all a piece of the pie. But I think as internet golfers, we focus too much on swing speed.
agree..and still can't believe you have 20k plus posts.. That is so so awesome man..can't fathom that

Another thought on a different shaft.

Even if a new shaft changed the launch number, I could always adjust the driver to try to re-create the more "ideal" launch.

Just reinforces the idea that I need a fitting.

Even if a new shaft changed the launch number, I could always adjust the driver to try to re-create the more "ideal" launch.

You got it. I vote you quit the pondering and look for a TMPL.

Smash needs to come up IMO. As a reference from my TM fitting:

93 SS
138 BS
13.5 launch
2700 spin
220 carry
1.48 smash

Sorry on my phone but hopefully those numbers help for a comparison perspective.

For perspective...I think your driver vs 3W results tend to mirror the feedback given on the forum for that product line.

Back