For perspective...I think your driver vs 3W results tend to mirror the feedback given on the forum for that product line.

There's something to that as well. I'm hoping the right shaft can make all of the difference.

There happens to be a Kingdom location about an hour from Atlanta. I really need to figure out a way to get in there.

That's a good point as well. I was using the PGA SS range balls with this driver.

What makes me think there was an issue with the driver/shaft combo instead of the LM readings is that I was getting really nice numbers with a 3W and hybrid on the same LM, but the driver numbers (distance wise) were lacking a bit.

If you have some place near you that has either a Flightscope or a Trackman, I would suggest that you go there and hit some using the ball that you were fitted with. Also, since I also don't have a lot of trust in LM's in stores I think getting some accurate numbers otherwise would be really important before you invest a lot of your time into figuring out a shaft for the driver.
I believe that you can improve ball speed with the correct shaft in basically any club, primarily because it should give you the best chance at hitting the ball more consistently solid. I think your smash factor numbers will relate directly to your ball speed numbers.

Over compressing? Maybe they use a softer ball to help get better numbers for their average customer and wasn't suited for your driver swing speed.

I have that feeling too.

When I looked at the launch and spin numbers for particular drives, I was thinking that those were pretty close to ideal. I had quite a few 17-ish launch and 1,700-ish spin, which I understand is supposed to be pretty ideal for this particular driver. (I don't want to turn this into a driver thread, but it should be obvious which one I was hitting).

The distance numbers, though, were lacking with those conditions. The only remaining variable is ball speed, which made me wonder if something was affecting it.

Here is a question too? What about using your actual ball you game and not some generic ball they just have in the bay? I wonder how much that could play into this number also? It has to right?

Over compressing? Maybe they use a softer ball to help get better numbers for their average customer and wasn't suited for your driver swing speed.
This was my thought as well. It's a long shot but it could definitely be a factor.

Here is a question too? What about using your actual ball you game and not some generic ball they just have in the bay? I wonder how much that could play into this number also? It has to right?

It's a valid point.

I need to take some of my regular balls the next time I try the driver. I think a shaft change would help, but the ball would certainly help too.

I had a discussion with Hawk yesterday that made me start thinking more about ball speed and how it is affected by things other than swing speed.

Until now, I haven't really thought about the numbers that go into a golf shot. I didn't think about ball speed, launch angle or spin rate. But, yesterday I was hitting a driver at PGA SS with the following range of numbers:

Swing speed: 110-113

Ball Speed: 150-155

Launch angle: 14-18

Spin rate: 1,500-2,800

Distance numbers were okay, but not great. 255-265 carry.

Ryan mentioned that I should probably see ball speed in the 160 range, and he thought that a different shaft would help. This led me to start thinking about how the club components would affect my ball flight numbers.

The question is: Is there a particular shaft (specific characteristics) that I should now look for to increase the ball speed numbers? Or, am I generally limited to the ball speed generated by a particular club head? Or, is there something else that can be done on the product side to increase ball speed (for example, making loft/face angle adjustments to the driver)?

This is not a swing issue, per se, and I may have posted in the incorrect thread. But, I wanted to see FK's thoughts on this. Mods, if this needs to move, please do.
Seth, these numbers are a bit all over the map. To answer your question, a shaft would help when pared with the correct lofted head. Based on what I know about your swing and your impact position, I'd be looking for a mid launch shaft in the mid stiff flex. You don't have a heavy load into the ball, your swing more like a large arc.

you have an optimum launch angle and we just need to find that to maximize your hang time. I also think if you create a more even tempo you find the center of the face as the club had will have a chance to square up. This will give you more distance and great ball speed as the swing will be more intact.

My SS is 105 and my ball speed is 160+. With 110 and your height we should be seeing high 160s once you find a shaft, head and swing combo that works.

Back