Is Colin Montgomerie Worthy of the Hall of Fame?

Ok he never won a major and didn't have the votes so he should get in.

That's more like it. :alien:

I think he should get in because otherwise that brass statue I commissioned is worthless. And that's a lot of brass.

I don't think so. I'm not a huge fan of someone without a major getting in.

I'll try not to let any personal feelings get in my way, I've never seem to care for Colin, but I'd vote:
NO

I think his Ryder Cup and Euro tour records are great but with no majors and no pga tour wins I can't see him getting in. The resume just isn't enough!

I have a question I am sure someone in here could answer. How many golfers are in the World Golf Hall of Fame with no major wins? Genuine question. And I should clarify these would be golfers that got in based on their playing record rather than other contributions.

That is my hesitate..... Another thing that always bother me is a polemical behaviour from Monty some years ago. But I agree most relevant achievements were in Ryder Cup.

I'm sure there are quite a few. Do Peter Alliss and Jumbo Ozaki (just recalling a a couple from the last few years) have major wins?

Allis was selected as lifetime achievement. Ozaki is a mystery a little bit. Although to be fair, he does have about triple the tour wins of Monty. That goes back to the argument of depth of talent.

I vote yes. His body of work qualifies him. 8 count 'em 8 freakin' Orders of Merit. Plus his 31 wins, Ryder Cup record. He definitely deserves to be in.

Now, I love Freddie Couples, but I wouldn't have vote him in before Mark O'Meara who won those 2 majors in 1998 and 16 wins as opposed to Freddie's 1 major and 15 wins.

I vote yes. His body of work qualifies him. 8 count 'em 8 freakin' Orders of Merit. Plus his 31 wins, Ryder Cup record. He definitely deserves to be in.

Now, I love Freddie Couples, but I wouldn't have vote him in before Mark O'Meara who won those 2 majors in 1998 and 16 wins as opposed to Freddie's 1 major and 15 wins.

The Players Championship carries a bit of weight it seems for accomplishments.

I believe that his domination over in Europe and in the Ryder Cup should warrant the Hall of Fame

Yes! When you think European golf in the 90's you think Monty. He was the face (good or bad) of the Euro Ryder Cup team for several encounters. Even though it wasn't that long ago, pro golf was different back then...It wasnt so worldwide. Euros played in Europe and Americans played in America, there was very little overlap other than the majors. A solid European HOF pick.

I agree with JB. Monty never won an major title and although he was outstanding in the Ryder Cup, he was terrible coming down the stretch in majors. I think we have lowered our standards in a lot of areas. Colin is not the first to get there without a major. The idea that they have to put someone in even if they don't get the votes is suspect. I guess I relate it to the other halls of fame. He would have a tough time if you transferred his record to baseball, for instance.

0 Majors in WGHOF. Some are not tour players.

PeterAlliss0
IsaoAoki0
MichaelBonallack0
WilliamCampbell0
JoeCarr0
NeilColes0
HarryCooper0
FredCorcoran0
BernardDarwin0
JosephDey0
HerbGraffis0
BobHarlow0
Hisako 'Chako'Higuchi0
JohnJacobs0
Charles BlairMacdonald0
ChristyO'Connor0
AyakoOkamoto0
Masashi 'Jumbo'Ozaki0
AllanRobertson0
Chi ChiRodriguez0
CharlieSifford0
WalterTravis0
RichardTufts0
Herbert WarrenWind0
Most of the above got in via life time achievement, media or some historical achievement. Granted there are a few that I scratch me head over. I still don't think he deserves to get in.

World Hall Of Fame - Maybe.......

PGA Hall Of Fame - No.......

Overall with the no Majors, I say no.

So how much weight do you consider majors to carry for those who say because he has no majors?

For example, how many wins would be equal to a major?

So how much weight do you consider majors to carry for those who say because he has no majors?

It depends on the win. I think that when a sport offers 4 "super bowls" each year, I expect the truly great to win one of them to be considered one of the best ever (what hall of fame is for).

I don't think it's totally about major wins. If so, John Daly would theoretically have a chance on getting in based on his 2 major titles.

I think the wins also has to do with the tournaments won. They're all "equal" other than the majors, but the strength of field in a BC Open field vs something like Quail Hollow or The Memorial aren't in the same league.

It depends on the win. I think that when a sport offers 4 "super bowls" each year, I expect the truly great to win one of them to be considered one of the best ever (what hall of fame is for).

Well put JB!

IMHO, no amount of wins equals a major, but, secondly, never winning on the PGA tour is a killer as well. I can see being in the hall on the weight of a lifetime of career wins. Monty not only missed the majors, but, never won on the PGA tour. If his 31 wins were distributed across both tours, I would say sure 31 wins make a body of work. Here is the asterisk to his HOF plaque...He was a great European golfer that won 31 times in Europe and had a huge impact on the Ryder Cup as a player and Captain. Unfortunately he failed to win on the PGA tour in all his attempts and never won a major. He failed to win in 138 PGA tour starts and also never finished better than fourth in a WGC event.

Last edited:
All major sports Hall of Fames are becoming watered down. It's supposed to be the best players ever. Not the hall of good players. I don't think he deserves to make it. He was good but not great.

Because someone else got in and Colin might be better is good logic IMO. It should be reserved the the very elite. Colin Montgomerie was not an Elite golfer!

0 Majors in WGHOF. Some are not tour players.

Peter
Alliss
Isao
Aoki
Michael
Bonallack
William
Campbell
Joe
Carr
Neil
Coles
Harry
Cooper
Fred
Corcoran
Bernard
Darwin
Joseph
Dey
Herb
Graffis
Bob
Harlow
Hisako 'Chako'
Higuchi
John
Jacobs
Charles Blair
Macdonald
Christy
O'Connor
Ayako
Okamoto
Masashi 'Jumbo'
Ozaki
Allan
Robertson
Chi Chi
Rodriguez
Charlie
Sifford
Walter
Travis
Richard
Tufts
Herbert Warren
Wind

My vote would be 'no'. The HOF should be for players that during there playing time were considered a top player in the world and won a major. I think it just waters it down.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I guess it depends on the standards you think are appropriate for a Hall Of Fame.

The word "fame" is descriptive of the hall. Whether or not Colin won a major or a PGA TOUR title, he is/was a famous golfer.

I guess it depends on the standards you think are appropriate for a Hall Of Fame.

The word "fame" is descriptive of the hall. Whether or not Colin won a major or a PGA TOUR title, he is/was a famous golfer.

Lots of famous golfers though. Is Ian Poulter a Hall of Famer? How about Bubba Watson? Even better example. Rickie Fowler?

It's a really iffy thing for me, his record in the Ryder Cup is amazing and 31 Euro Tour wins.....but you have to look at what the Euro tour competition was like in those days. The big issue to me isn't no PGA tour wins because he never played the PGA tour on a regular basis, it's the 0 in the Major column that gets me to question his worthiness of the HOF.

Of course there are plenty of MLB players and NFL players in the HOF without World Series or SuperBowl wins....so there is an argument to be made.

Monty absolutely belongs to be in - it is a no brainer. There is not a sane person alive that would have taken Couples or O'Meara over Monty in a wager and the first two are/will be in.

Can't remember the exact year that the fairly stiff restrictions limiting non-PGA tour members from playing events was lifted but I suspect Monty was effected by this. Moreover, during Monty's prime he was the heart and soul of the Euro tour. Coming here to play a full schedule would have been a much bigger deal than the present day European invasion of Florida. Finally, why the automatic assumption that anything other than a PGA tour event is junior varsity. The US events certainly pay more, living here accustoms one more to the type of courses that 75% or majors are contested upon, and the weather is more suitable for year long play than Scotland, Wales, etc. However, if the Euro et al tours were such also rans, you'd see the typical US journeyman clean up when he travels there - and you don't...

Back