KBS C-Taper Iron Shafts - THP Preview

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I arrived home to find a box waiting for me. Immediately I was filled with excitement as it was pretty clear who the box was from. KBS has been kind enough to send some C-Tapers to me for review. This thread will serve as an unboxing thread and a place where I can discuss initial thoughts and progresses with the shafts. I would also encourage any of you who have these (I know there's a few of you out there!) to post your thoughts and findings in this thread as well.

I received the 120gram, Stiff flex shaft and now I'm in serious ponder mode on whether or not to put them in the Burner 2.0 irons. We know that the C-Tapers are designed to impart lower launch and lower spin without sacrificing that KBS feel. KBS has verified this through testing, where they determined that the C-Taper outperformed the leading competitor by 5% less spin, 5% lower launch and up to 10 yards of more distance. Sounds like a winning combination to me!

I would like to thank THP and KBS for this opportunity. On paper, these sound exactly like the iron shafts I've been looking for over the past couple of years. I can't wait to find out if the C-Tapers are everything they are advertised to be!

And of course, here's some pictures:

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

Nice!! Been alot of discussion on these lately - very much looking forward to how they work for you.

Edited to add: put them in the 2.0's!

These might be the perfect shaft for you TC. Can't wait to read the review

I've heard and read some good things about these shafts. They are already have wins on tour as well.

Looking forward to following the process on them.

Do you know if they come in any other finish?

Looking forward to your thoughts and also your videos, you do a great job with those.

Ohhhhh boy! I was so tempted by these in the marketplace. Can't wait to hear more TC.

I've heard and read some good things about these shafts. They are already have wins on tour as well.

Looking forward to following the process on them.

Do you know if they come in any other finish?

Off the top of my head, I don't know. I can tell you one thing though, this satin finish is wicked. It's very subtle but I can see the value of it outdoors. I need to learn how to do my own shaft work.

Off the top of my head, I don't know. I can tell you one thing though, this satin finish is wicked. It's very subtle but I can see the value of it outdoors. I need to learn how to do my own shaft work.
Interesting, I didn't realize they were satin, but after looking at them you can tell. The finish on mine is more of a chrome finish and honestly, I don't have an issue with it outdoors. I don't know what it's called, so maybe you can help, but it looks like the C-Taper is smooth through the length of the shaft and my KBS are "stepped" rather than a smooth transition through the shaft. Not sure what the style is called.

Since this shaft thing is going to be a regular gig for you, I think you should ask the wife for some workshop tool for Father's Day!

Wow that satin finish is delicious. Look forward to your thoughts on these shaft tester.

Interesting, I didn't realize they were satin, but after looking at them you can tell. The finish on mine is more of a chrome finish and honestly, I don't have an issue with it outdoors. I don't know what it's called, so maybe you can help, but it looks like the C-Taper is smooth through the length of the shaft and my KBS are "stepped" rather than a smooth transition through the shaft. Not sure what the style is called.

Since this shaft thing is going to be a regular gig for you, I think you should ask the wife for some workshop tool for Father's Day!

hahaha, I wish! I'm certainly handy enough, but I would be nervous the first few times. Yeah, the KBS Tours are "stepped" and FST does make shafts (like what they put in the W/S Ci9's) that are "stepless". The C-Tapers are in fact stepless, which is like my old Rifle 6.0's or any or the PX iron shafts for that matter. Personally, even though it affects me none on the course, I much prefer the look of a stepless iron shaft. Just clean and smooth and straight. Looks badass!

These should be fixed into the 2.0s without hesitation. I have a feeling that these shafts might be the real deal for you dude, they sound like a perfect fit for your game. I'm really looking forward to following this one.

hahaha, I wish! I'm certainly handy enough, but I would be nervous the first few times. Yeah, the KBS Tours are "stepped" and FST does make shafts (like what they put in the W/S Ci9's) that are "stepless". The C-Tapers are in fact stepless, which is like my old Rifle 6.0's or any or the PX iron shafts for that matter. Personally, even though it affects me none on the course, I much prefer the look of a stepless iron shaft. Just clean and smooth and straight. Looks badass!
That's one thing I liked about the PX shafts was the look of them. Good stuff so far, really looking to see how these perform for you.

Haha, you said shaft work. LOL

I look forward to your review on these. They sure do look good. I would like to see them in the 2.0s. I wonder if there is a way you could setup your 2.0s to be like a fitting cart iron. Where you could just screw new shafts in. I think I saw something on Golfsmith or Golfworks website that deals with this.

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

This should end up being a great review, TC. Sounds like these are legit and right up your alley. Looking forward to following along.

If I had been chosen to test Nike Combo irons and these were available I would have went that route. I've always wanted to hit KBS just never been able to at Demo Days I've been to. I look forward to reading your feedback on these.

JD the C Tapers were not available.

Very cool! Can't wait to see what you think about these. Your 2.0's deserve these shafts!

Ohhhhh how I have been longing for a set of these shafts. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I love my KBS Tour's. Can't wait to hear about the C-Taper's even though I would probably never have a set in my irons - I don't need lower launch, never been a high ball hitter. I'm perfectly happy with the launch on my KBS Tour. But I am certainly interested about the feel - do they really feel the same as the Tour?

Really interested to hear your thoughts on these. Could use the lower launch and I think they would look great in my CB2's.

My first experience with KBS shafts was during my testing of the PING S Tour wedges and I really liked them. Looking forward to your thoughts on these shafts a lot TC

I love my KBS Tour's. Can't wait to hear about the C-Taper's even though I would probably never have a set in my irons - I don't need lower launch, never been a high ball hitter. I'm perfectly happy with the launch on my KBS Tour. But I am certainly interested about the feel - do they really feel the same as the Tour?

I think that's the golden question right there......well, that and do they lower the ball flight, and do they offer less spin. I'm going to find out for sure.

Thanks for all the comments and support fellas. Sounds like these must go in the 2.0's at this point. It would be an interesting experiment, as I know just how the stock shafts in those irons perform. It will also be nice to compare them side by side to the KBS Tours that are in my RXT's huh?

I was wondering what you had in your RXT's? Slip these bad boys in your 2.0's and let the shoot out begin!

Good luck with these TC. You and I have pondered these for weeks, and I am glad you are testing them. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. If they feel similar to the Tours and lower the ball flight, its pretty much a no brainer for me.

I was wondering what you had in your RXT's? Slip these bad boys in your 2.0's and let the shoot out begin!

hahaha, Why not right? I won't lie, I like everything about the C-Tapers. It's imperative I go into this with no preconceived notions whatsoever.

Back