Knee Replacement Golfers

First PT this morning around 8. Been a rough night but pain has been managed well. Had/have a case of hiccups and heart burn…given that i have mostly drank water had a salad and salt free saltines or graham crackers not many of each I’m scratching my head as to why.

I think that has been more of a bother than the knee pain which has not gone 3-4…still, PT session 1 around the corner. Need to pass to go home.
After my surgery two weeks ago, I remember getting hiccups continuously for about two or three days.

I’m home. Apparently the meds did me out. I almost fainted 2 times during early PT. That’s never happened before. They put another bag in me and drank a lot of water. Then did pt pretty easily. So, discharged. 2 hours in rush hour to get home. That’s the most lingering pain I’ve been in. Tackled the 17 steps into the house without issue. Home PT tomorrow or Saturday and I’ve water pump delivery is tomorrow.

Progress. No idea how much pain is being blocked by the leg block, i will find that out Saturday when it’s removed. So far oxy only at 5mg and one last night at 10. I’m 100% not trying to be a hero. I guess I’ll learn more after a real PT session.

24+hours later, color me pleasantly surprised though i know “winter is coming” hahah

Last edited:
Hope you guys feel better soon. Thanks for all the info on what you are going through .
Your post is exactly why i started it. Maybe it helps, reading others experiences has helped me.

I’m home. Apparently the meds did me out. I almost fainted 2 times during early PT. That’s never happened before. They put another bag in me and drank a lot of water. Then did pt pretty easily. So, discharged. 2 hours in rush hour to get home. That’s the most lingering pain I’ve been in. Tackled the 17 steps into the house without issue. Home PT tomorrow or Saturday and I’ve water pump delivery is tomorrow.

Progress. No idea how much pain is being blocked by the leg block, i will find that out Saturday when it’s removed. So far oxy only at 5mg and one last night at 10. I’m 100% not trying to be a hero. I guess I’ll learn more after a real PT session.

24+hours later, color me pleasantly surprised though i know “winter is coming” hahah
Glad to hear you’re doing well. I took one 5mg oxy every six hours. My doctor was tough to pin down on exactly how much or how often to take the oxy’s. All he would say was not to take more than 8 pills in one 24 hour period, so I went with one every six hours. I stopped taking oxy’s after the first two days and switched over to one tramadol every six hours and it seems to be working well for me, YMMV. I’m planning on switching to Tylenol in the next couple days because the tramadol doesn’t sit right in my stomach. But like has been stated many times, don’t want to be playing catch up with the pain.

I need to keep an eye on this thread. My knee problem started last year. I have been getting a shot and removal of fluid every three months. In April we will take another set of xrays and decide if it is time yet. Since I play a lot of golf, the doctor wants to do it in the fall.

In home PT today. Trying to be cleanish changed from sweats to shorts. That’s one big swollen bald pulkie. Pulkie is Yiddish for leg. Hoping (sort of) the leg block hidden inside the shorts is removed so i can shower.

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpeg
    IMG_1665.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 15
Ok, update time. The block was removed on Saturday evening, but there was ample residual pain killer to make things good, until I woke up this AM about 3-4 AM - Pain - and more pain -I would say a solid 7 where up to now had been 3-4 at worst. Needed 10mg oxy, which eventually knocked me out (for the good). I had/have been trying really hard to stay ahead of the pain, this was a huge failure and makes me wonder what am I supposed to do if there is no pain (as there was no pain when I went to sleep). I don't want to eat oxy if there is no pain, but want to if needed, so pain is 1-2 I can take it and all good, example, Sunday, needed 15 mg for the entire day/night, Monday a bit more and here now Tuesday, the 10 at once about 6AM - don't ask why, it just sort of happened, but now roughly 6 hours later, pain free - still. So, confused.

Also PT, not doing much but my knee is very not easy to bend and range is poor at best, was about 75 (of the needed 90) with the block, without it, now, today about 40. Not good and going wrong direction. Hope to see better results sooner than later. More PT tomorrow, and dressing removal and/or change on Thursday.

Received and use water pump/ice machine that is very helpful but makes my knee very stiff when I get up to move around every hour or so. I remain confident that it's still really early, and aleady climbing the walls to get out and do something - anything. So, living vicariously through the what golf stuff did you buy today - so keep that up everyone!

Ok, update time. The block was removed on Saturday evening, but there was ample residual pain killer to make things good, until I woke up this AM about 3-4 AM - Pain - and more pain -I would say a solid 7 where up to now had been 3-4 at worst. Needed 10mg oxy, which eventually knocked me out (for the good). I had/have been trying really hard to stay ahead of the pain, this was a huge failure and makes me wonder what am I supposed to do if there is no pain (as there was no pain when I went to sleep). I don't want to eat oxy if there is no pain, but want to if needed, so pain is 1-2 I can take it and all good, example, Sunday, needed 15 mg for the entire day/night, Monday a bit more and here now Tuesday, the 10 at once about 6AM - don't ask why, it just sort of happened, but now roughly 6 hours later, pain free - still. So, confused.

Also PT, not doing much but my knee is very not easy to bend and range is poor at best, was about 75 (of the needed 90) with the block, without it, now, today about 40. Not good and going wrong direction. Hope to see better results sooner than later. More PT tomorrow, and dressing removal and/or change on Thursday.

Received and use water pump/ice machine that is very helpful but makes my knee very stiff when I get up to move around every hour or so. I remain confident that it's still really early, and aleady climbing the walls to get out and do something - anything. So, living vicariously through the what golf stuff did you buy today - so keep that up everyone!
Do what you have to do regarding the pain. Everyone is different, with different tolerances and needs. Oxy won't deal with any swelling, so you might ask about something to help knock that down if you aren't taking anything for it yet. Might find some comfort there also.

After a few more days, I suspect you'll start feeling like you can get into the PT. Don't overdo it, but don't slack either!

I had/have been trying really hard to stay ahead of the pain, this was a huge failure and makes me wonder what am I supposed to do if there is no pain (as there was no pain when I went to sleep). I don't want to eat oxy if there is no pain,
But that is what "staying ahead of the pain" is, taking the normal dose, on schedule, as prescribed, BEFORE the pain gets bad.

But that is what "staying ahead of the pain" is, taking the normal dose, on schedule, as prescribed, BEFORE the pain gets bad.
I get that, and i understand. That said. It all says as needed, it’s rather vague as is the pain level numbers. I had a PT person tell me i was at already at 5 pain wise since i was thinking about taking meds. Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Reading the label it does not say take every 4 it’s take every 4 as needed for pain. Infers (as nurses did) that i take it when needed or, i guts as i start to feel pain.

Anyway had not had this happen until now. It was a shock.

Exactly this. I hated to keep taking hydrocodone, but it got me through PT and post-surgical pain.

Not trying to argue with anyone here, I do understand what staying ahead means, I have had to deal with this a number of times, maybe becuase I in a new place (SC) or new MDs or something, that it's been looked at differently. if there is any pain or an thought of there being any pain, I take what they prescribe and issues are at most minimal. That said, again, it does not say take every 4 hours it's the exta 'as needed' that has thrown me this time, I guess combined with the fact that I was mostly pain free the day and 1/2 before. Honestly, I think the residual meds from the leg block wore off and things got out of hand at a specularly bad time (early AM). Now I know and there seems to be no residual meds in my system (for pain).

Sucks to hear about the rough recovery but hang in there it’ll get better. My doctor was very vague about the oxy usage also. It was always “take as needed” and he wouldn’t give a clear and concise directive like “take one every 6 hours” regardless of pain level.

I took one pill every six hours whether I was in pain or not and that worked well for me, but we’re all different so that may not be the answer for you. I did set an alarm to wake me up in the middle of the night to make sure I took my meds on schedule.

I love the ice machine, for the first two weeks I pretty much slept on the couch or my recliner. I kept the ice machine on as long as possible. Your knee is going to be extremely stiff for the foreseeable future. Mine is still very stiff from my first knee replacement I had in September.

Dressing removed, day 8. therapist says all is going well, despite my thoughts to the contrary. Wound is very clean ton of staples happy to post photo for the nightmare fuel as kid 1 calls it. Staples come out Monday.

Pain in check, pain meds back to minimums.

Looking back, still unclear what that bump in the road was.

My sister (of all people) made a great comment, this surgery/recovery is not linear bad days will pop up from time to time, I’m happy that I’ve only had one.

Just had my right knee done on January 9th. Spent 30 hours in hospital then released. Have in-home therapy until next week when I see my surgeon and start rehab. The surgery went great and the therapists say that I am way ahead of where I should be at this point. The flex in my new knee was measured at 90% yesterday.
I have been very faithful in doing the pre-surgery exercises and in the post-surgery therapy sessions. This is the best advice I can give anyone who faces knee replacement: Do your exercises and work hard in rehab. If you do a successful recovery will happen. Good luck.
Dont forget the ice!

Glad you're doing better. The bump in the road as you called it? Maybe it's where the knee block wore off enough and your knee said "uncle!" 🤷‍♂️

Glad you're doing better. The bump in the road as you called it? Maybe it's where the knee block wore off enough and your knee said "uncle!" 🤷‍♂️
That’s what I’ve been thinking all along, I’ve tried to explain this to my wife and the therapist, they look at me as if i have an additional eye on me forehead. I keep saying maybe there was residual pain killer from the block.

glad to see you are doing well. getting that knee to bend is tough so don't be down on yourself, you'll get there. as for the pain meds. yep the "take every 4 hours as needed" is the dumbest thing ever. i like the pt's advice to wait until the pain is at a 5'ish. for me the toughest part was at night. i would take the meds before bed and they would help me fall asleep but when they wore off and then i woke up at 2 or 3am i was in trouble. pain at a 9....and you don't want to wake anyone up, so you just start walking around the house for the next hour until the new meds kick in. some of those nights were beyond bad for me. good luck

oh yeah how is your ummmm bathroom habits going? i know the pain meds blocked me up terribly. i would not go for a week sometimes.

PT PT PT....ICE ICE ICE!!!!

glad to see you are doing well. getting that knee to bend is tough so don't be down on yourself, you'll get there. as for the pain meds. yep the "take every 4 hours as needed" is the dumbest thing ever. i like the pt's advice to wait until the pain is at a 5'ish. for me the toughest part was at night. i would take the meds before bed and they would help me fall asleep but when they wore off and then i woke up at 2 or 3am i was in trouble. pain at a 9....and you don't want to wake anyone up, so you just start walking around the house for the next hour until the new meds kick in. some of those nights were beyond bad for me. good luck

oh yeah how is your ummmm bathroom habits going? i know the pain meds blocked me up terribly. i would not go for a week sometimes.

PT PT PT....ICE ICE ICE!!!!
That’s been most of. 3-4 successes. Though rather painful as one might expect. Taking two colace daily.

Sleep has been interesting. About 4-5 hours mostly uninterrupted. Then maybe 1 more but with lots of starts and stops. Then I’ll just pass out 2-3 times a day, i mean gone! No idea goes long 15 minutes an hour who knows

39 staples in there they come out Monday.

Oxy down to 2-3 5 mg pills a day for reference max is 12 pills a day, most I’ve taken, i think, was 7-8.

I added steps to my exercise.

I had an audienceIMG_1671.jpeg

Last edited:
Had my left knee replaced in Dec. 2020 after years old cortisone shots and gel injections. Up and walking 1 day post surgery w/ walker. Started physical therapy that week and really enjoyed it. Insurance covered 100 visits and I was out on LOA for 13 weeks. I wasn’t in any hurry to return to work. During my time off, I was pitching and putting at home and made visits to the course regularly. Went to my 30 day post op visit for X-rays and doctor said knee was structurally sound and I could resume full swings. Now, I’m about to start the process over again on the right knee! Getting old sucks!

Back