Knee Replacement Golfers

Had my left knee replaced in Dec. 2020 after years old cortisone shots and gel injections. Up and walking 1 day post surgery w/ walker. Started physical therapy that week and really enjoyed it. Insurance covered 100 visits and I was out on LOA for 13 weeks. I wasn’t in any hurry to return to work. During my time off, I was pitching and putting at home and made visits to the course regularly. Went to my 30 day post op visit for X-rays and doctor said knee was structurally sound and I could resume full swings. Now, I’m about to start the process over again on the right knee! Getting old sucks!
On the second time, my PT said often it’s overall easier/less painful. For your sake and many others, hope she’s not lying!

On the second time, my PT said often it’s overall easier/less painful. For your sake and many others, hope she’s not lying!
That was certainly the case with me. I had my first TKR done on a Monday morning, and they had me up and walking with the walker that same afternoon. However, between the hospital where the surgery was done and where they sent me for monitoring and initial rehab, I wasn't released to go home for like 10 days. I had a femoral block done and there was a drain in the knee. Even after getting sent home, I had to go for PT two or three times per week for several weeks after I was able to drive.

With the 2nd replacement, also done first thing in the morning, instead of a femoral block I was given an epidural. Again, they had me up and walking that afternoon, and I was sent home the next day and had PT at home, no trips needed to a PT facility.

It was strange as both knees were done by the same surgeon, but he closed them differently, using glue and internal stitches on my first knee, the right one, and staples on my left knee when that was done 6 months later. I don't know if correcting the right knee for being knock-kneed vs correcting the left for being bow-legged, the difference in addressing the pain (epidural vs femoral block), the need for a drain vs no drain, or the manner in which he closed the incision had anything to do with the pain or recovery. Despite the differences, I was back to playing golf in the same timeframe for both, on the course in under 10 weeks post surgery.

Edited to add: those first few weeks you feel like you are never going to get there, but once you hit the "peak", so to speak, it is all down hill from there and things improve quickly. Hoping your recovery goes as well.

Staples removed. Tape added. Tape sort of comes off on its own timeline. Range of motion improved over last week (though I’m not really able to see much of that). Post PT pain, up there. Ice machine/cold water pump is doing ice machine things. Will hit the painkiller shortly with food.

Progress.

Interesting that you had staples. My wife had both knees done last winter and they just used super glue. Diff doc's and diff methods.

Range of motion improved
The biggest issue I had with range of motion was getting my leg(s) perfectly straight, as opposed to the amount of bend.

The biggest issue I had with range of motion was getting my leg(s) perfectly straight, as opposed to the amount of bend.
I’m at 1 degree. According to her measurements I’m closer to 0 but there yet. Maybe Wednesday. Just doing my exercises and chilling. It’s gotten sort maddening, already.

I had bi-lateral knee replacements to both legs several years ago. My issue was my legs were getting really bandy but I didn't have much knee pain. My dad was the same but modern surgery didn't exist then.
When I woke up from surgery I asked the surgeon how long the op took from when I went under to when I was wheeled out of the surgery. He told me it took one hour 30 minutes to replace both knees because my bones were so dense that they didn't need to use glue or cement, just laid the mesh over the healthy bone. The bone would do the rest.
I never had that much of an issue with the rehab (the body tends to forget pain). I was back playing golf in eight weeks with straight legs. My wife seeing what an easy time I had with the op, had both her knees replaced a few years later and she had it even easier than me.

Last edited:
Yesterday here south of Allentown Pa we had 6 inches of snow . My neighbor had his knee replaced two weeks ago and was out snow blowing his driveway . Hope I can do that good .

Yesterday here south of Allentown Pa we had 6 inches of snow . My neighbor had his knee replaced two weeks ago and was out snow blowing his driveway . Hope I can do that good .
Recover is different for everybody! You can't judge the success of your progress by what others can do.

I went in at 6 in the morning and was helped in the car at 2 to go home. Same with my cervical fusion.

I have a really good BCBS policy (as its policies go in MS) and they kindly and generously allow me 20 PT visits a year.

Got my MRI report today. Complex meniscus tear. Grade 4 Chondrosis. Mild to moderate MCL sprain. Scheduling followup with ortho.

I can't believe I'm writing this......last year my left knee was really hurting. Without going into detail I was VERY active in college and my adult life playing tennis hiking and the usual stuff old washed-up jocks who are older do or think they can do. Anyway, found out the I was a candidate for a knee replacement but didn't want to bite the bullet because of my golf game. So now it's not only the knee that's hurting but my right thigh feels like a slow burn when I walk to exert myself playing golf. I sure hope I didn't mess things up. but will be going in to see the Doc next week to see what I messed up and to schedule a knee replacement. UGH!!

I can't believe I'm writing this......last year my left knee was really hurting. Without going into detail I was VERY active in college and my adult life playing tennis hiking and the usual stuff old washed-up jocks who are older do or think they can do. Anyway, found out the I was a candidate for a knee replacement but didn't want to bite the bullet because of my golf game. So now it's not only the knee that's hurting but my right thigh feels like a slow burn when I walk to exert myself playing golf. I sure hope I didn't mess things up. but will be going in to see the Doc next week to see what I messed up and to schedule a knee replacement. UGH!!
Good luck Walt!

Mobility/bendability is improving, though still really tough/taught I am ahead of most metrics slightly, moving to a cane Monday, walker will be retired. Despite all this good, last night sleep was a setback night, tough to find a comfort position, and it's so frustrating. Pain pills are down to basically 2 a day, could likely get away with 1 or even skip them, but want to get past this weekend then reassess that.

I’m a candidate for knee replacement. Have been for some time According to the orthopedic surgeon. at the time replacement knees were good for 10-15 years which meant I could very well need two surgeries before my term was up. I got back in the gym years ago and the pain went away. I’m still pain free but getting concerned I might be messing it up more , bone on bone, guess I need another consult an mri to decide.

I've been told that taking out the punishing things - mostly running/jogging and they will last a much longer time. So, I am eliminating most running/jogging from my exercise routine and replacing with elliptical and/or biking.

I can only say that I am glad I did not delay too long in getting this done, I did delay with my hip and dealt with pain way way longer than necessary. This time, I went through the series of 3 gel shots and some PT but when the gel shots failed - I went right to ortho reassess and get on the list - which was rather long already.

I had a few series of gel shots before my ortho recommended a replacement. He also told me to do more biking and that helped a lot . Keep up the good work.

2 more in home sessions then moving to outpatient/sports medicine PT - I have met all the criteria in terms of measurements and movement.

There was a VERY intense pain - from out of nowhere on Friday/Saturday - like 7-8 on the Mr Ugly scale PT says it's part of the healing process. I scratch my head wondering where it came from why at that moment, and how come it went away after I stood very still for a few minutes, it was still there and I was very gingerly moving, but the 7-8 quickly become 1-2.

Progress.

2 more in home sessions then moving to outpatient/sports medicine PT - I have met all the criteria in terms of measurements and movement.

There was a VERY intense pain - from out of nowhere on Friday/Saturday - like 7-8 on the Mr Ugly scale PT says it's part of the healing process. I scratch my head wondering where it came from why at that moment, and how come it went away after I stood very still for a few minutes, it was still there and I was very gingerly moving, but the 7-8 quickly become 1-2.

Progress.
Keep on keeping on, Smoove!

Progress.
Meeting all the measurement requirements for bending and straightening the knee is a big plus! I don't recall experiencing an out-of-the-blue pain like you mention after either of my surgeries. However, there is a nerve that gets cut during the typical TKR, so maybe that has something to do with what you felt?

Meeting all the measurement requirements for bending and straightening the knee is a big plus! I don't recall experiencing an out-of-the-blue pain like you mention after either of my surgeries. However, there is a nerve that gets cut during the typical TKR, so maybe that has something to do with what you felt?
Therapist suggested that it could be from the bone work or the hammering of the replacement into place. She thinks, while odd, likely just healing. I’ve an ortho appointment in about a week if it persists will bring it up.

Did not mention this but had a chat with my PT, said I had a few moderate goals walk a 10 K in early April, golf with a cart by mid May, and golf walking (electric cart) by June, she did not see any issues to any of this, I remain hopeful.

Pain pills now down to 1 at end of the day, mostly to take the edge that has built up from doing the 2nd set of exercises later in the afternoon (I do 2 to 3 sets a day), otherwise tylenol only, continued progress.

That said I may get one last script for the pain pills depending on how 'real' PT goes beginning next week.

Back