Long Irons vs Hybrids - Alternate Shots

I can go either way on this one. I think it comes down to what works for your swing best and you are comfortable standing over.

This is an interesting one for me. While I have grooved my hybrid nicely, I have never seen the kind of turn in a long iron (draw/hook turn) that I have with a hybrid when struck poorly. Anthony makes a great point that addresses what I am talking about, where hitting that hybrid on the toe will increase the curve.

That said, I think distance wise especially on imperfect shots is a major nod to the hybrid design. Lower groove iron strikes are bound to come up 10-15-20% short of their intended target and that can spell disaster.
If you want to see that kind of shot with an iron you should see me try to hit one. I can do that pretty easily.

I mean I can hit the same shot with a hybrid but it doesn't happen as often.

Personally I much prefer the hybrids because I find them much easier to hit from the rough or a fairway bunker as well as just as easy to hit from the fairway.

My hybrids cut through rough like butter

Would you at least agree they are inversely correalted?

No I wouldn't. I would say that it would be different for every player and that there are far too many things to consider.

For my swing, a hybrid is both more forgiving and more accurate than a long iron.

I understand the draw of hybrids, I've just never been a fan. I've owned a few, and love them out of the rough, but off the tee and fairway I've just never been a fan. And now with my MT driving iron, it's just as good out of rough as any hybrid I've hit. I got 1 to replace my 4i, and will likely get another to replace my 5i.

If you want to see that kind of shot with an iron you should see me try to hit one. I can do that pretty easily.

I mean I can hit the same shot with a hybrid but it doesn't happen as often.

Personally I much prefer the hybrids because I find them much easier to hit from the rough or a fairway bunker as well as just as easy to hit from the fairway.

My hybrids cut through rough like butter

One thing I'd never question is the ease of hitting a hybrid. They are all kinds of easier to hit than irons... It just depends on the ball striker and whether the loss in overall accuracy and potentially brutal left/right misses outweigh the need to make good contact.

I can't hit a hybrid to save my life. I've tried many, I top them or pull hook them.

My i20 4i goes 220y and my 3i about 235y. I really have no reason to try and make a hybrid work anymore. I play +1" too, which might make sense why I top the hybrids so much.

I hit my 4-iron so much better than my hybrid. I miss 5/10 times with my hybrid and maybe 1/10 with 4-iron...

I'm just an odd golfer I guess, but I hit long irons better than I do hybrids. I've rotated 4 or 5 hybrids through my bag, and hit just about everyone I can get my hands on, with minimal success. I have the ability to MURDER some hybrids, but my misses with hybrids are SOOOO bad. With a 3 or 4 iron, my miss tends to be in the rough or in a trap around the green, with a hybrid it tends to be OB... period. My biggest "miss" contact wise is high and low. A fat 3 iron goes around 180... and fat hybrid goes about 120... if you don't sky it. When I miss with an iron its bad, when I miss with a hybrid its worse.

I do miss the distance of a hybrid, but I don't miss playing 3 from the tee on a short par 4... at all.

These guys have obviously never seen me hit a hybrid... Higher and straighter??? Not in a million years. Or more like 2 1/2. I really just hit a 3i 10 times better than a 21* hybrid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

One thing I'd never question is the ease of hitting a hybrid. They are all kinds of easier to hit than irons... It just depends on the ball striker and whether the loss in overall accuracy and potentially brutal left/right misses outweigh the need to make good contact.

It's funny but I've never experienced any lack of accuracy with a hybrid.

If anything I hit my 5 hybrid much more accurate than my 6 iron. I'd much rather be 170 out vs 160 to be able to use my 5 hybrid.

Could be just that I've found a really good hybrid for my swing but I've never been worried about a bad miss with a hybrid compared to an iron.

Wow there are a lot of you on both sides of the fence, I love it. I am a bit of a fence straddler myself. On one side I can absolutely CRUSH my 2hy and 3hy, and I actually took my 3 iron out of my bag about a month after I got them...YEARS before I got my hybrids. Hitting a 3 iron with a blade is so finicky and ticks me off most days. With that said, I can hit my 4 irons about as well as any other club in my bag, and my 5 iron is my go to club if I want 200 yards down the middle.
I agree with the guys in the video though....most should have a hybrid, due to easy of use and forgiveness.

Comments seem to track with handicaps.
No iron clad rules in golf equipment. Even within long irons a ping and a muscle back are different animals; I would assume the same for the hybrids.

I have gone to "give up golf" as in I have given up on hard shots. Outside of a 5i/200 yards....I can't hit that shot; so I hit the hybrid and take a quarter of the target approach. (Back right, from left, etc)...get it around the target.

Heck, I dropped all the fairways woods b/c I can't hit them well. Leading myself from temptation

i'm all for hybrids, they allow me to pretend like I can play golf :banana:

I haven't hit my hybrid in over 5 rounds, just does not work for me anymore. The 4 iron is much more consistent and straighter. My hybrid is a hooking machine and when I try to correct it is a sky high slice. So I have to go with long irons over hybrids.

Hybrids Allow Me To Compete.......Period. I Like A 4 Iron For Getting Out From Under A Tree Though. :)

I actually carry a "real" 4-iron now just for getting safely out of jail and back onto the fairway. The 4-hybrid is too lofted to do it safely sometimes when under/in/around the trees.

Easy choice for me. I can't consistently hit a long iron.

True for me as well. The hybrids are here to stay for me.

I'm really in between. I would love to hit a 3 iron, but I have never tried and it scares me.

I put a X Hot Pro 18 hybrid in the bag and I love it. My game is nowhere near what it used to be and I should have removed the 2 iron a couple years ago. As soon as I can't hit the 3 iron consistent, a hybrid will replace that too. If the guys on tour are going to hybrids, why should I think I am too good for them.

I do wonder if there isn't something to the SS argument that was brought up. You almost never see a long iron in a slower SS players bag, and there seems to be alot more high ss guys who struggle with hybrids. I'm not sure what would make the difference, but you have to wonder.

I actually carry a "real" 4-iron now just for getting safely out of jail and back onto the fairway. The 4-hybrid is too lofted to do it safely sometimes when under/in/around the trees.

I have a 1 iron for that purpose.

I do wonder if there isn't something to the SS argument that was brought up. You almost never see a long iron in a slower SS players bag, and there seems to be alot more high ss guys who struggle with hybrids. I'm not sure what would make the difference, but you have to wonder.

It falls apart a bit when you look at tour professionals however. They have plenty of swing speed and yet more are adding it than ever before and at last count it was something over 65% and even 70% in some tournaments.

I haven't had a chance to watch this video yet, but did hit an old 2i DCI 962 the other day. Great story that I'll tell once my teeth quit chattering.

I can't hit a hybrid. Maybe if it had a steel shaft. Maybe it's because I just don't like graphite shafts but when I hold a hybrid the shaft feels like a tree trunk

It falls apart a bit when you look at tour professionals however. They have plenty of swing speed and yet more are adding it than ever before and at last count it was something over 65% and even 70% in some tournaments.

I'm not saying a higher ss player can't make them work, I've seen some THPers who hit it much farther than me, play them VERY VERY well. I just wonder if there is a reason why some of us hacks struggle more with hybrids.

I think I may need to experiment with a 3 hyron...

Back