Long Irons vs Hybrids - Alternate Shots

I like my 3i. I also like hybrids.

I like clubs in general

JB can correct me if wrong but he designed his first hybrid for the pros...

I was joking, hence the dancing banana thingy. I should have just used [/smartass comment]

What is adding backspin to increase carry? I thought we were talking corrective spin, ie draw spin on a toe miss, which would bring a push back.

Hmm, my miss is on the tow, and my miss with a hybrid is a huge hook. I wonder if that is related.

Hmm, my miss is on the tow, and my miss with a hybrid is a huge hook. I wonder if that is related.

It may be. Same thing a driver does though. My guess is heel weight bias plays a part too

I can appreciate what Thain is arguing.. Not really sure why some people think it's silly that folks prefer irons to hybrids, but considering how mental the game of golf is, does it really surprise? Also, golf is about the enjoyment of the game, right? If people prefer to play the irons over the hybrid, is that silly, or is that just their preference?

When I think about the comparison to my own 4 iron to the hybrid that follows it, I see a shaft that is about 40 grams lighter. That is likely to increase the swing speed, and potentially change my success rate with the club. Certainly based on the way I hit the ball, it also helps to work with the club head to promote additional launch.

Typically when I miss with my 4 iron it's an increased draw, or a thinned shot that doesn't reach 80-90% (let's call it 185-190 of the expected 200-205) of the expected distance. The hybrid on the other hand, typically only misses hard left. I am happy to hear that it's a swing flaw (we're not perfect) but it's either commit to 95% distance or accepting the reduced distance without the major turn. Keep in mind, I am talking about my swing, for clubs in my bag, and am not making a generalization towards all golfers.

This has been an interesting discussion, and it really gets me fired up to get a hybrid in a comparable loft to my 4 iron to see which is the more consistent with similar shafts.

Wake last time we played, when you missed on the toe, it was a high push. Now I am not saying thats the norm, just that last round. I remember because I thought you had hit it high on the club face a couple of times, and you had said it was off the toe. Your miss was still where my regular shots go distance wise, but that is because you hit it so darn far.

I was joking, hence the dancing banana thingy. I should have just used [/smartass comment]

Those things don't show up on Tapatalk for me...LOL

Dan, Fwiw I couldn't care less what people play.

Wake last time we played, when you missed on the toe, it was a high push. Now I am not saying thats the norm, just that last round. I remember because I thought you had hit it high on the club face a couple of times, and you had said it was off the toe. Your miss was still where my regular shots go distance wise, but that is because you hit it so darn far.

With a hybrid? That is definitely my toe miss with irons and usually drivers. I have a harder time telling where I miss on hybrids.

Dan, Fwiw I couldn't care less what people play.

To expand on that, most of my interest in this discussion has been centered around the proposition that high ball speed players can't play hybrids or that hybrids are inherently worse for them. I just don't believe that for a second. I can see individual differences and personal preference, but there's nothing out there convincing me it's anything other than that.

I prefer long irons that said I do like the idea of Hybrids just cant seem to find one that fits me. I get the lefts extremely bad with them.

Have any of you guys tried the Adams 9031 hybrid? I hear is is supposed to play a bit more like an iron than a traditional hybrid and I am curious if that is the direction I should head.

I love my 2 iron but I cant help but think I could gain some forgiveness with a hybrid instead if I could find one that fit.

To expand on that, most of my interest in this discussion has been centered around the proposition that high ball speed players can't play hybrids or that hybrids are inherently worse for them. I just don't believe that for a second. I can see individual differences and personal preference, but there's nothing out there convincing me it's anything other than that.

I may be one of the people who said that, and I meant that high speed players may have additional struggles that they face with hybrids. It just seems the majority of those saying they struggle have a bit higher SS, abd I wonder why that is.

I love it. Never really looked at it from the swing speed standpoint, so I've enjoyed following along with the comments surrounding that.

Also, I think your point about personal preference plays such a massive role in all this. Does one swing slightly different with an iron than they do a three wood? Suffice to say if it is, somewhere between wood and iron, the gap must be bridged. Is it swing flaw associated? I would have to assume yes. My path is steep but inside out, and the sweeping draw that is generated seems to be a bit more aggressive on my hybrid than on my 4 iron, but they are both incredibly manageable when I am striking the ball well.

It also leads me to wonder how much can be improved between hybrids, hyrons, and these utility clubs that are becoming more popular.

I may be one of the people who said that, and I meant that high speed players may have additional struggles that they face with hybrids. It just seems the majority of those saying they struggle have a bit higher SS, abd I wonder why that is.

My guess is fitting.

Don't get me wrong. I've hit a TON of different hybrids this year. Some of them are hook machines for me. Others I can miss big left with at times and hit fine other times. I'm not a high swing speed player either. I've found others that aren't that way though.

My guess is fitting.

Don't get me wrong. I've hit a TON of different hybrids this year. Some of them are hook machines for me. Others I can miss big left with at times and hit fine other times. I'm not a high swing speed player either. I've found others that aren't that way though.

When you say 'hook' machines... Do you find the same variations (solid vs hook machines) in the irons you've tried up into the 4 (and less commonly 3) iron(s)?

My guess is fitting.

After something you said, I really want to hit the covert tour.

I can appreciate what Thain is arguing.. Not really sure why some are so frustrated at the idea of people preferring irons to hybrids or thinking it's silly, but considering how mental the game of golf is, does it really surprise? Also, golf is about the enjoyment of the game, right? If people prefer to play the irons over the hybrid, is that silly, or is that just their preference?

When I think about the comparison to my own 4 iron to the hybrid that follows it, I see a shaft that is about 40 grams lighter. That is likely to increase the swing speed, and potentially change my success rate with the club. Certainly based on the way I hit the ball, it also helps to work with the club head to promote additional launch.

Typically when I miss with my 4 iron it's an increased draw, or a thinned shot that doesn't reach 80-90% (let's call it 185-190 of the expected 200-205) of the expected distance. The hybrid on the other hand, typically only misses hard left.
I am happy to hear that it's a swing flaw (we're not perfect) but it's either commit to 95% distance or accepting the reduced distance without the major turn. Keep in mind, I am talking about my swing, for clubs in my bag, and am not making a generalization towards all golfers.

This has been an interesting discussion, and it really gets me fired up to get a hybrid in a comparable loft to my 4 iron to see which is the more consistent with similar shafts.

Same here except it is hard right.

I have all but given up trying to hit hybrids.

When you say 'hook' machines... Do you find the same variations in the irons you've tried up into the 4 (and less commonly 3) iron(s)?

I don't have much consistency with long irons when it comes to contact in general, so I'm not sure I'm the best guy to ask that. I've carried one for a handful of rounds this year at best. I couldn't keep the Altitude reliably straight for the life of me though either. Same shaft as the irons.

After something you said, I really want to hit the covert tour.

Just one guy's experience, but that's a great hybrid for me.

I don't have much consistency with long irons when it comes to contact in general, so I'm not sure I'm the best guy to ask that. I've carried one for a handful of rounds this year at best. I couldn't keep the Altitude reliably straight for the life of me though either. Same shaft as the irons.

That's one thing I think would be very tough to argue... Purely from an ease of contact perspective, hybrids are the big winner.

I'd agree.

The other thing is that the market favors draw biased hybrids and rightfully so. If the weight is in the heel, the ball is going to want to go more left, especially if that's the way you send a miss hit to begin with. It totally alters the way the ball reacts.

One thing to consider as well is on most Hybrids the lie angle is much more upright. Even if it is the same degree as the iron it replaces they are longer shaft wise which can cause them to play 3-4 degrees more upright which could cause the ball to go left.

I can't say that my experiences have lead to a particular miss, but hybrids in general I have a tendency to spin the ball too much and when that translates into mishits, more spin offline and more distance is just a bad combo. For me.

TTing

I prefer long irons that said I do like the idea of Hybrids just cant seem to find one that fits me. I get the lefts extremely bad with them.

Have any of you guys tried the Adams 9031 hybrid? I hear is is supposed to play a bit more like an iron than a traditional hybrid and I am curious if that is the direction I should head.

I love my 2 iron but I cant help but think I could gain some forgiveness with a hybrid instead if I could find one that fit.

I hated that hybrid more than any other I've hit. I hit it so far left, the ball would boomerang back at me....LOL

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I'll just play the numbers game here. Number of trees I've hit with a hybrid in hand. Probably as many as there are posts in this thread. Number of trees I've hit with a 4 or 3 iron. Well, I could count em on my hands, I'm sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Back