Luke Donald - "Rory Has More Talent"

Donald backpedaling already-as reported by Golf Digest.

"A few people aren't understanding what I meant. The word 'talent' and Rory, to me, means a free-flowing swing who makes everything look so easy," Donald tweeted. "TW (Woods) has always been the best at getting the ball in the hole when it mattered the most. That's not just talent that something else, too."
Donald tweeted again a short time later that Woods "is still the greatest player I played with."

Donald backpedaling already-as reported by Golf Digest."A few people aren't understanding what I meant. The word 'talent' and Rory, to me, means a free-flowing swing who makes everything look so easy," Donald tweeted. "TW (Woods) has always been the best at getting the ball in the hole when it mattered the most. That's not just talent that something else, too." Donald tweeted again a short time later that Woods "is still the greatest player I played with."
Now this makes more sense, but it seems quite different than what he said ititially. To me talent means more than having a beautiful swing. Oh well, we shouldn't criticize ol' Luke too much, I guess this is why most pro's never try to say anything interesting...

Ryan Leaf had more talent than Peyton Manning coming out of College...............

Ryan Leaf had more talent than Peyton Manning coming out of College...............

Are these popular egg chasers? Excuse my ignorance.

Are these popular egg chasers? Excuse my ignorance.

Only one of them is now. Manning went on to become a great football player here in the states, while Ryan Leaf is doing absolutely nothing.

2012 setting up to be a great year for golf.

Rory will never be Tiger. In fact I think all this pressure from his fellow tour players does him in. PArt of me thinks they do this to put so much pressure on him, he fails and they benefit.

+1. I was thinking the same thing.

I am loving all this talk. Bring it on, euros! I like Lukey as a #1.

I saw this yesterday. I remember Woods saying a few years ago that John Daly had more "raw talent" than he did. Talent does not necessarily translate into wins.

I saw this yesterday. I remember Woods saying a few years ago that John Daly had more "raw talent" than he did. Talent does not necessarily translate into wins.

yeah, many people equate "raw talent" with just being able to go out there and naturally do it. We all know that Tiger doesn't just go out there and do it. He works VERY, VERY hard to get his game where he envisions it being. That is one thing that sets him apart.

Except Rory.

Awesome.

Find it interesting that the #1 ranked player in the world is touting someone else has having the most talent. Do you ever think that Tiger, Jack, Greg Norman, Hogan, Faldo etc. would ever say that when they were at the top of their game? Maybe that is why, although he has won plenty of money, he has no majors.

I thought this was odd as well. I get complimenting your rival, but deferential? Hmm...poorly played Luke.

I agree with Luke. But Rory will never be as successful as Tiger.

I thought this was odd as well. I get complimenting your rival, but deferential? Hmm...poorly played Luke.

I wonder if this is a culture thing slightly, because I don't really see this. Ever watch a football game, or any other sport for that matter, where the manager or player will play up the expectations of the opposition in order to put more pressure on them? I read it a bit like that. Subtle subversion.

I guess the first thing I thought when I read this was how little Luke show's respect to imagination. Every course just won't fit every player, but seem's like some, Tiger and Phil for two, have an ability to adapt while others, RM for one, struggle from being too mechanical, or just can't adapt.

This is just my opinion.. I don't think Rory has the "Mind-set" and focus AT this time too be a top 10 player in the world. Does he have the skill level heck yes! But he is still so young and it will come. But at this time i don't think he has the mental part as of now.

I guess the first thing I thought when I read this was how little Luke show's respect to imagination. Every course just won't fit every player, but seem's like some, Tiger and Phil for two, have an ability to adapt while others, RM for one, struggle from being too mechanical, or just can't adapt.

That's quite a good point, but I'd argue that to a certain extent, Tiger has been picking and choosing courses which suit him through most of his career (probably a lot more post-Butch). Think we'd have a hard time debating who is the most talented across all kinds of courses, but I do agree with that point regarding Rory. The game is more than just striking the ball.

Wacky statement...No doubt Rory is ultra-talented, but he is young and like so many have said, "talent doesn't mean wins on the PGA tour"...With that said, I can't wait for 2012...I think we are in for a great golf season.

That's quite a good point, but I'd argue that to a certain extent, Tiger has been picking and choosing courses which suit him through most of his career (probably a lot more post-Butch). Think we'd have a hard time debating who is the most talented across all kinds of courses, but I do agree with that point regarding Rory. The game is more than just striking the ball.

Yeah, you are correct about his pick and choose mentality. I won't say RM can't ever be as good as TW, he's young and who can say what he will become, but imagination mixed with talent galore makes a huge person to person difference.

I don't necessarily disagree with this statement. Talent just doesn't equal wins as a lot of guys have said.

You could also look at it as when Tiger was younger he basically only played in the States and could practice more often in his spare time. Rory travels to a billion different places, leaving less time to put in the time off the course.

Not saying that is the difference either, just thought it was a point that should be voiced.

I like Rory's swing a lot and feel he has a world of talent, but it takes more than that. It takes a certain mindset to have the killer instinct making you want to bury your opponent and anything that gets in your way of the trophy. Not sure Rory has that fire within. You can't teach that. Tiger has it. If Rory has it then he'll do well.

It takes a certain mindset to have the killer instinct making you want to bury your opponent and anything that gets in your way of the trophy.

I see this point. There is a difference. It's almost like we say Tiger decimated the field. Rory decimated the course. It's a different mentality and focus.

I wonder how much of this was nothing but hyperbole to cut the tension, or turn things on for the race to Dubai coming up soon? It's all between those two if you listen to the media, they want to deflect attention to someone else, but not buying its working.

Rory has a great swing and tons of potential but talent also includes a short game and putting and the ability to win. His scrambling and short game need work as does his putting - in those areas, I say he is pretty average. As far as wins, we will see what he does. Luke should enjoy his short lived non winning #1 ranking. 2012 is shaping up to be a great golf season.

Based on Rory's finish at the first round at Dubai he definitely will be making a statement this coming year on the PGA Tour. Donald has made the most of the great amount of tallent that he has nad Rory is beginning to make the most of his.

Based on Rory's finish at the first round at Dubai he definitely will be making a statement this coming year on the PGA Tour. Donald has made the most of the great amount of tallent that he has nad Rory is beginning to make the most of his.

Rory's second round finish ... not so much.

Back