drb1956

Reaction score
Handicap
25+
Played 9, and then 2 18's in 3 days around the Myrtle Beach area this week. Came to S.C. to visit family, and play golf with the BIL. Came with 18 TopFlite Hammer Control balls, being a high capper. So, lost 2 on the 9, at River Oaks Fox course, and the rest on the first 18. It was at Arrowhead CC, which is a tough track, with tons of water throughout the course. Was fighting a hard fade all day, with some drives just going arrow straight. Most of the fades ended up in water that ran along side fairways, all the way to the green. Had to go to Dicks to restock! When I got there, I looked over at most of the ball section, and spotted an old friend. Maxfli Softfli. Bought the 2fer $35 special, and now was reloaded to play tomorrow. With a $10 reward, payed like $12.50 a dozen, plus tax..Well, played the Hackler course yesterday, and only lost 4, but drove just about every tee shot right down the fairway, and fairly long. Most were lost on shots going into brush, and one water ball on an approach. These were my first rounds of the year! I said Softfli was an old friend, as I have played this ball in the past few years. I purchased the yellow matte, which is new, and they no longer have the brite green matte, which I used in the past. The yellow is really brite, and stands out in the grass. Feels really good off the driver at 35 compression, and DOES NOT feel like a marshmellow with my 80ish swing speed Launches a little high, but nothing to really worry about as I drove a few into the 230 range, and that is normal for me. Mostly 200-210, but in the shortgrass. Had a bunch of short game miscues, but as I play more, these should get better. With all this being said, this will probably be my gamer going forward this year. At 66, with my swing getting shorter, this is not a bad ball, and compares directly with the Cally SS. Just not in price! I thought about buying more Hammers, but not after that fiasco at Arrowhead. Going home today, and had a great time playing, with great weather out here. So, anyone else like to play the Softfli? Not the best ball for chipping, but I can try to make it work. Really helps me off the tee, and that makes the whole experience fun! Looking to get back on the courses in my area...

Attachments

• 20230610_200553.jpg
    20230610_200553.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230610_200606.jpg
    20230610_200606.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I play three golf balls. The Softfli is in my rotation. Excellent ball. Old golfer. Swing speed in the seventies.

Good Golfing

Maxfli is a largely under rated brand; I've never played the SoftFli but have played Maxfli balls in the past and they were always on par or better than the top brands. The Maxfli Revolution was my go to ball in the late 90's, loved it, a really good ball overall.

It's a decent ball - I recorded my only HIO with one. That said, I don't find it to perform any better than other balls in that range like the Hammer Control, which is my winter ball along with the Duo Soft. If you can get a deal on them, they're a great value.

I've played the Maxfli Tour and found it somewhat shorter than other balls. I am thinking of giving the Trifli a shot, though with the results others with my slow swing speed are reporting, maybe the Softfli is the way to go.

I can confirm that Arrowhead is a ball vacuum :p

I usually play super softs but have played soft fli too. Would definitely play them for that price.

I usually play super softs but have played soft fli too. Would definitely play them for that price.
Was a great day to play Arrowhead, but the water was a ball magnet for me. I was fighting a hard fade all day off the tee, but had a lot of straight drives. Played the Hackler the next day, and only lost 4. Only lost one on the front, lost one on 10, and lost 2 on the last 3 holes. Anytime I had water on the hole at Arrowhead, tee shot just ended up there! Lost a few on approach shots over water by being too short. Lost 15 balls!! I enjoyed the Softfli as it kept me in the fairway at Hackler, and STRAIGHT all day!! Lost maybe 20 yards off the tee, but it was still a great day!

It's a decent ball - I recorded my only HIO with one. That said, I don't find it to perform any better than other balls in that range like the Hammer Control, which is my winter ball along with the Duo Soft. If you can get a deal on them, they're a great value.
I could get the HC to check on the green, but my short game is out of practice, as these were my first rounds of the year. Off the tee, the HC was not helping me..Softfli "straightened" me out, and kept me in the fairway for most of the round. Had a few fades, but nothing that hurt me, except on one of the closing holes. My swing is not in the groove yet, but with the Softfli, I felt more confident about the result. I had played this ball in the past, and being a senior, I will probably stay with this ball as my "gamer" going forward at this time. I would like to get into a 3-piece, but just not at this time.. Swing needs tuning, and getting ingrained it for the season. The GolfTec tweak I had taken in a swing evaluation worked fairly well, but I had a hitch in my swing, promoting the fade. Need all the help I can get at this time...

Last edited:

Do you live in the Myrtle Beach area? I was just visiting the wife's brother and his wife. The BIL and I play everytime I get there, which is about every 2 years. I live in NW burbs of Chicago. First rounds of the season. Just got home about 4:30 this morning, after leaving about 8:30 central time, driving all day, and night, with fuel stops, bathroom breaks, and to eat. GPS jacked us up trying to get to Louisville, so we could pick up I-65. Had us going through Atlanta!!! Kept changing as we traveled up the 501! I said we are going the wrong way, till we figured the way to go!! Lost probably 1.5 hours...

I live in northwest NC. We go on a golf trip to MB every year in late February/early March. Arrowhead is one of our regular stops. I think we have played there the last 3 years.

I live in northwest NC. We go on a golf trip to MB every year in late February/early March. Arrowhead is one of our regular stops. I think we have played there the last 3 years.
Nice! We are thinking very hard about moving there when I retire. Possibly Greenville? Not sure. We need to spend some time there.. Always enjoy golf there. Hackler is part of CCU...

With all this being said, what the heck happened to Maxfli being a "discount" brand at Dicks? Really surprised me that the Softfli is now $24.99 a dozen, the same as Cally Supersofts, The 2fer $35 makes it a great deal, and I had a $10 reward, so I used that too. Ended up at $12.50 a box, plus tax=$28 + change. It was like getting a box free! Probably the best way to buy them is the 2fer deal! Hopefully won't need to purchase another box, as I have 3 sleeves of the brite green matte left over from the last time I played the Softfli, plus I still have 3 sleeves of Cally SS, in the brite red matte from a couple years back. So, since I am back to playing soft golf balls, to help "straighten" out my drives, I have a good inventory for the season. And I still have 2 dozen TopFlite Hammer Controls in yellow, which I am not sure when I will be playing those again...

With all this being said, what the heck happened to Maxfli being a "discount" brand at Dicks? Really surprised me that the Softfli is now $24.99 a dozen, the same as Cally Supersofts, The 2fer $35 makes it a great deal, and I had a $10 reward, so I used that too. Ended up at $12.50 a box, plus tax=$28 + change. It was like getting a box free! Probably the best way to buy them is the 2fer deal! Hopefully won't need to purchase another box, as I have 3 sleeves of the brite green matte left over from the last time I played the Softfli, plus I still have 3 sleeves of Cally SS, in the brite red matte from a couple years back. So, since I am back to playing soft golf balls, to help "straighten" out my drives, I have a good inventory for the season. And I still have 2 dozen TopFlite Hammer Controls in yellow, which I am not sure when I will be playing those again...

I don't think I've ever seen them *not* on sale with the 2-for deal or even buy 2 get 1 free.

I don't think I've ever seen them *not* on sale with the 2-for deal or even buy 2 get 1 free.
You could be right! I think a lot is based on their inventory, or how many they order from the ball mfgr., and the cost per ball. Gotta be a big mark-up on these, especially because they order thousands.. They used to be $19.99 not that long ago, and being a value ball, and competes directly with the Cally SS, I would think regular price would be a couple bucks lower than the Cally SS. The 2fer deals are a good value, and now the savings "look" bigger, being the 2 boxes at reg. price is $50, so the 2fer $35 deal is a huge savings. Watch that it doesn't go to 2fer $40...

So, the 2fer $35 deal goes on to August 5th. Was looking at Dicks online yesterday, and they have a deal on the Softfli/Straightfli-4fer $59.99.. Ok, if the regular price is $24.99 a box, then the 2fer deal makes them $17.50 a box, the 4fer deal makes them $15 a box. That's like $10 a box "discount" off the regular price!! Need to make a trip to Dicks.. If I stock up with this deal, I would have enough balls for a couple of seasons, if I don't lose a box in a round! Anyone else look at this deal? This is a hard deal to pass up, if this is your gamer...

Last edited:
Big fan of the Maxflis here. If you buy them when theyre on sale, there isnt any better value. Id agree that Maxfli is underrated. I think its because people see it as being a DSG house brand, so they think theyre not very good but theyre honestly no different than any of the DTC balls (Vice, Cut, Snell, etc). The only difference is that instead of ordering them online and having to wait a week, you can just go to GG or DSG and pick them up that same day.
I play the Tours because I like having the spin but if I didnt want to spend the extra $$$ for the Tours, Id play the Softfli, no question.

Big fan of the Maxflis here. If you buy them when theyre on sale, there isnt any better value. Id agree that Maxfli is underrated. I think its because people see it as being a DSG house brand, so they think theyre not very good but theyre honestly no different than any of the DTC balls (Vice, Cut, Snell, etc). The only difference is that instead of ordering them online and having to wait a week, you can just go to GG or DSG and pick them up that same day.
I play the Tours because I like having the spin but if I didnt want to spend the extra $$$ for the Tours, Id play the Softfli, no question.
Can't believe that they are the same price as Cally SS for a dozen!! Would think a value ball would be a couple bucks less! But, the 2fer deal makes them a great value..

Oops, forgot about the 4fer deal-4fer $59.98..$15 a dozen...

Can't believe that they are the same price as Cally SS for a dozen!! Would think a value ball would be a couple bucks less! But, the 2fer deal makes them a great value..
Amen. I used to be Wilson Duo player and then I got into Vice but you just cant beat the value of the Maxflis. Vice Pros are $31 a dozen if you buy 5 dozen, Maxfli Tour and Tour X are $30 a dozen and you only have to buy 4 to get that deal and you dont need to wait a week for them.

Amen. I used to be Wilson Duo player and then I got into Vice but you just cant beat the value of the Maxflis. Vice Pros are $31 a dozen if you buy 5 dozen, Maxfli Tour and Tour X are $30 a dozen and you only have to buy 4 to get that deal and you dont need to wait a week for them.
Used to play the original version of the Duo. On hot days, it was a proverbial marshmallow. I would be 30-40 yards behind my playing partners, with the high launch characteristics of that ball. Have not played it since. I like the feel of the Cally SS, and the Maxfli Softfli. Really helps me to stay in the fairway! Never tried Vice, or any of the DTC online order balls. I like to buy'em in the store. No shipping!! Have never had enough game to play any of those Tour like balls. I still lose a few, so value balls is what I play.

Used to play the original version of the Duo. On hot days, it was a proverbial marshmallow. I would be 30-40 yards behind my playing partners, with the high launch characteristics of that ball. Have not played it since. I like the feel of the Cally SS, and the Maxfli Softfli. Really helps me to stay in the fairway! Never tried Vice, or any of the DTC online order balls. I like to buy'em in the store. No shipping!! Have never had enough game to play any of those Tour like balls. I still lose a few, so value balls is what I play.
What I like is that you can get the Maxfli Tours for what some budget or midgrade balls cost.
Game or no game, we all benefit from more spin around the green.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What I like is that you can get the Maxfli Tours for what some budget or midgrade balls cost.
Game or no game, we all benefit from more spin around the green.

My problem is the "spin" that is supposed to "help" me around the green, rears its head when I'm on the tee! I have tried quite a few 3-piece balls, and lose them faster than you can say par 3...

My problem is the "spin" that is supposed to "help" me around the green, rears its head when I'm on the tee! I have tried quite a few 3-piece balls, and lose them faster than you can say par 3...
Well, that's not the ball. Every ball is low spin off the driver, so if you have a hook or slice, its not going to matter what ball you play. That's why, assuming its in your budget, there's no reason to not play a spinny ball.
That's why I love the Maxflis. I can play a Maxfli Tour for almost what a Bridgestone E Series, Srixon Soft Feel or Wilson Duo costs.

I know, but ain't it funny, that everytime I play a Tour like ball, the spin for the green gets me at the tee. When I play these lesser balls, no problem. I have played quite a few better balls, and lose them faster than the value balls I play. I know my swing is not great, but I can hit a fairway for the most part. These higher launching balls keep me on the short grass. So, I just learn to live with what I have, and at my age, not learning to makeover swing. Small tweaks on the basics. I enjoy the game where I am. Big maybe, but when I retire, and have a lot of time, I might work to be better...

Back