Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Thanks guys. Sounds like the 850F is just about in line with the AP2s

Sadly, I can't my Apex are in Texas. They're smaller, in all areas and offset. Blade length is closest though.

I'll put up some Vapor Pro-Combo comparisons tonight though, should help.

We compared briefly on the course & they are a smaller profile all around as described.

With that said it didn't scream "players iron" at address or make me think I couldn't hit them (contrary to what the single swing showed :) )

We compared briefly on the course & they are a smaller profile all around as described.

With that said it didn't scream "players iron" at address or make me think I couldn't hit them (contrary to what the single swing showed :) )

Get good at golf..... :alien:

Yep, its why I've been saying they lean Game Enhancement in profile, I truly believe that, these do not look like GI irons at setup.

I've not said you can't feel it, I've said its blurred or not as defined as in other sets. Every shot has a plush feeling to it, miss or not. Seems its been a pretty constant thought on these as well. We are all clearly more or less receptive to certain feedback, but I can say coming from Apex and Pro Combo's as well, misses are not nearly as differentiated vibrationally or audibly as those.

With that I will wholeheartedly agree. I feel toe/heel mishits but it doesn't present as harsh feedback. In many ways, I feel that it leads to a more precise feel of where the mishit is as I don't have to filter out a lot of noisy vibration. Now high/low mishits (short of skulling it) I pretty much need to see ball flight to figure out.

Last edited:
I lump all clubs together. I am not a category label kind of guy. Personal opinion is all, now that so many lines are being blurred.

I'll take some shots of the AP2s as well.

As promised...850 Forged and AP2

446c6309869572c212db129d28a5b7f7.jpg

286cf93ec02ffa9a9325acdcd2d2d205.jpg

307e237518336bdd8ded76a64e992195.jpg

And the 850F with Apex

3009d41331e96c7ecf7f366e5b3ec930.jpg

9fc0676d0f4072033632ad4d42c9eb6b.jpg

And the apex pro

de1c7cac77460407cb742aeaeacefb90.jpg

bba8a5aa3af6a9a3652590bdbb9a0a34.jpg

3dd9384f39f333d02d3ae189b2f4d59f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Adam, def looks a touch smaller than the AP2's to my eyes.

The side by side with the Apex is exactly what Cookie, MiekG, AFW, and I saw in Dallas.

Thanks Adam. Looks smaller than both the AP2 and Apex Pro

And you mentioned that it's really not a progressive set, so that sole doesn't get any wider in the longer irons, correct?

And you mentioned that it's really not a progressive set, so that sole doesn't get any wider in the longer irons, correct?

Correct.

In fact, the set has more offset than the PC's in the short irons, but less in the long irons because of it.

Has anyone hit these along side the JPX850s? I missed out on trying the forged set but I'm having buyers regret now after reading all this. I'm thinking about switching to the forged set only because I seem to hit smaller heads on my woods a lot better than bigger heads and maybe that'll apply to irons too lol. I also heard the forged set will give me a lower ball flight.

I've played the AP2 and the 850F extensively. The 850 is not smaller than the AP2. Especially in the longer irons.

In the sole pic above the AP2 8i is obviously nearer the camera. I'm not saying there's a lot of difference in the shorter irons between the two but I can say with certainty the AP2 is smaller on average across the set than the 850.

Its interesting, as I also reviewed the AP2's for the site and to me they are a touch smaller than those sole wise. Yes, more offset than the AP2's. With the topline they're closer than they look, the 850F are more squared off than the rounded AP2's so its natural the AP2's look smaller at first glance.

Either way:

DSC_0203-L.jpg

DSC_1002-L.jpg

These are gorgeous irons! Mizuno knows how to make great performing irons while making them look so freaking good.

Thanks Adam, def looks a touch smaller than the AP2's to my eyes.

The side by side with the Apex is exactly what Cookie, MiekG, AFW, and I saw in Dallas.

Thanks Adam. Looks smaller than both the AP2 and Apex Pro

I've played the AP2 and the 850F extensively. The 850 is not smaller than the AP2. Especially in the longer irons.

In the sole pic above the AP2 8i is obviously nearer the camera. I'm not saying there's a lot of difference in the shorter irons between the two but I can say with certainty the AP2 is smaller on average across the set than the 850.

They were about the same size at a glance. The 850F has more of a bevel on the trailing edge that gives it a smaller look. What skews the appearance of the sole of the AP2 is the thickness in the toe. The topline is definitely thicker in the AP2. I saw this with the Cobra Bio Cell + irons too. They did a good job of rounding it off to make it appear smaller. In the sole pic, both clubs were on their butts on the floor. The AP2 looks closer because the 8 is much larger on the AP2 than it is on the 850 and the reflection of stupid me makes it a bit darker.

Heel to toe the 850 is a touch longer than the AP2 and Apex Pro. But it's probably less than 1/4". I will mention that the face is deeper than both the AP2 and Apex Pro. This was something I didn't capture because I took clubs off the rack. If I'm over there this weekend I'll grab the demo heads and snap some better pics.

Will have more thoughts on these in the morning.

Well, I keep coming back to these being a balanced set as far as my thoughts go.

Despite not being progressive other than the undercut in the 4-7 the ball launches well, even was able to elevate the 4i when I've pulled it out for off the deck.

The feedback is still muted, but that comes with the territory I suppose. I know some argue vehemently they can tell their misses with no issue but playing in the 36* temps as I was the other day I couldn't all that well, and neither could the two members I had take swings with them. It's just "plush" across the face, the dampening that is occurring with the frame and cavity insert just give them what many will consider that soft/plush feeling.
I'm not getting into the forged thing here because of the derailment I know it will cause to the review.

As for the boron, there is, in my opinion, something plausibly there. I want more ball speed tests when the weather allows me at the end of this week, but the distances I'm seeing for the profile size certainly are longer than I've had with similar builds, and with the 825 pros before these.

Forgiveness is what I would expect, ok off the toe, so so off the heel, good high on the face, and most penal for me low on the face.

The shaft pairing is very solid and should fit a wide margin, though as an observation it never seems many who play mizuno give the stock shafts enough of a chance. The xp115's are good, great weight range, really nice launch, and actually a little feel in there like the rest of the new xp line.

Hopefully I'll have more around midweek, I've got some sticking q's I need to address then this one is going to paper.

Some comparison shots with the Srixon 545
5d5cb76ecc260cad6851ecb1c28c3fe3.jpg

850f on bottom
5d4351f6fcf381fcfa4954b624d9b0ca.jpg

850f on left
25fac02302c328e36056e63d5f8cd41e.jpg

Awesome feedback James. Hoping to take a few cuts with these today over at the shop when I swing by.

Awesome feedback James. Hoping to take a few cuts with these today over at the shop when I swing by.

Thanks buddy, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. They're solid irons, the distances have been the most pleasant thing for me.

Plus, the profile is much more tweener, and I personally like that.

Thanks buddy, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. They're solid irons, the distances have been the most pleasant thing for me.

Plus, the profile is much more tweener, and I personally like that.
Good to hear. The tweener profile has always been my favorite to look at.

And wow jlukes, they look a lot more similar to the 545's than I expected. Not too much thinner/smaller overall.

Back