Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Fwiw, heel to teo they're def longer, but the angle plays with the sole a bit, these are more narrow in the sole than the 545's.

I was shocked how similar they were, especially in sole width.

I tried these again yesterday in a sim. Man I just don't get along with Mizuno, I was all over the face but primarily on the heel. Gorgeous clubs and they are in the profile I'm looking for but for what ever reason I can't hit them worth a crap. Maybe there is something different in the lie angles because I know the clubs can perform so must be me.

VS Bio:
DSC_0283-L.jpg

VS Vapor Pro-Combo:
DSC_0285-L.jpg

DSC_0288-L.jpg

As I mentioned before, not as wide as most GI irons in the sole, smaller than the Bio's, just slightly larger (and longer) than the Pro-Combos. Toplines are actually close with the PC's. They are not large footprinted irons.

Hit the 7i and 5i with the xp115 s300 shafts today - really enjoyed it. Pretty similar distance wise to my cb3's - which is a nice compliment considering they're not nearly as GI in shape. Pretty nice forgiveness overall, particularly off the toe - didn't see a big distance loss there. Slightly thin shots still got up in the air with some spin. Didn't hit any bottom groove, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be as kind there. Hit them head to head with the z545's, and they really were only a little less forgiving I'd say, with similar distance. Feel is excellent on center strikes, somewhat muted on the mishits but you can still feel them. Definitely less forgiveness than my cb3's though. Really enjoyed them overall, great forgiveness and launch for an iron this compact.

Hit the 7i and 5i with the xp115 s300 shafts today - really enjoyed it. Pretty similar distance wise to my cb3's - which is a nice compliment considering they're not nearly as GI in shape. Pretty nice forgiveness overall, particularly off the toe - didn't see a big distance loss there. Slightly thin shots still got up in the air with some spin. Didn't hit any bottom groove, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be as kind there. Hit them head to head with the z545's, and they really were only a little less forgiving I'd say, with similar distance. Feel is excellent on center strikes, somewhat muted on the mishits but you can still feel them. Definitely less forgiveness than my cb3's though. Really enjoyed them overall, great forgiveness and launch for an iron this compact.

Where did you hit them? I'm in Vancouver and dieing to hit the 545, heard it won't be coming to the GT here anytime soon. The 850f does feel nice, especially with CTL, but Apex is slightly more forgiving and about 5 yards longer for me.

Where did you hit them? I'm in Vancouver and dieing to hit the 545, heard it won't be coming to the GT here anytime soon. The 850f does feel nice, especially with CTL, but Apex is slightly more forgiving and about 5 yards longer for me.

I'm seeing really close distances with the Apex, but you're right, forgiveness definitely sides with the Apex. By a good amount IMO.

Tested these head to head with the MP H5's with same shaft (KBS C-Taper Lite Reg) which will be my new shaft in whatever I choose. I currently use MP 53's and I am looking for a bit more forgiveness for those off days. The 850 Forged look nice, remind me of the Bridgestone DPC J40's in looks, with maybe a little larger top line. I hit the MP H5's first and really liked the feel..a little smaller heel to toe and a little larger top line than I am used to but could easily put these in the bag. Larger sole but these seem, as least to me to really shine on thin shots. One thing I will say about these it while they felt soft, was tough to tell when I didn't really flush one. Everything felt the same. As for the 850 Forged, started slow with these and it felt like I was missing every time when I first started swinging them. Maybe it was that I really wanted the MP H5's, not really sure. Slowed down and really focused on ball first contact as I am more of a sweeper and it just clicked. They felt so much better. I still think the MP H5's feel a little softer to me, but I was getting about 5 more yards out of the 850 Forged. The 850 Forged to me felt like they would benefit a digger type swing a bit more than a sweeper although once I got going I had no issues hitting them. While I must say I am pretty exicted because I found my next shaft in the C-Taper lite, I will be going back to hit each off grass once spring rolls around before I make a decision. I could play either, but not being a long hitter the added distance of the 850 Forged will be hard to pass up. Forgiveness was pretty similar but I think the 850 Forged being longer heel to toe inspires more confidence and maybe I touch better on toe hits.

Hit them at Pro Golf Discount in Bellingham, WA. Yeah, the 545 is noticeably more forgiving, but it's not quite as forgiving as something like the Apex IMO.

I'm so torn between these and the apex.... Hopefully my mind will be made up by next week.

I do like how this set meets the eye.

Apex will be more forgiving, fwiw.

I find the 850's quite forgiving but haven't swung the Apex's (except as one of many clubs in my 850 fitting). I'll have to try the Apex's - a friend has a new set.

Gamed the apex for a full season, these are forgiving, but not as much as the apex, particularly toe side.

Gamed the apex for a full season, these are forgiving, but not as much as the apex, particularly toe side.

Well my friend just won his age bracket at his club in Scottsdale with them so that's a positive vote. He's been a Ping guy for years so that's a big change for him.

These (850 forged) were honestly a lot of fun to review. Way more in the package than I expected, but I came in quite tempered after the EZ forged issues last year. These feel really nice, the offer a look that will fit a lot of eyes with not being too GI for those who don't care for that. And they have distance, just as long as the apex for me in testing, which was another surprise.

Seems like this is a better release cycle all around.

Seems like this is a better release cycle all around.

Yep, I agree completely.

Fact is, these were a lot of fun, which was a pleasant change from last go around for sure.

Three great choices there.

Yeah, low on the face (and by low I mean thin) are punished significantly with these, thats something I've seen time and again. Moreso than several set out there, granted there is only so much you can do for a miss like that, but these don't help matters there.

Toe side and high though, have been really pleasant to see the results on the misses.

After switching from the 850 casts to the forged I'm in love. These beauties look and feel great. I can definitely see what you guys were saying about how everything feels flushed other than when you catch it a bit thin. I'm sure I'll want more feedback later but I'm loving the ego boost LOL. Not to mention the forged matches that Mizuno Boron hat I won thanks to THP :).

My occasional pull hook don't seem to be quite as punished and out of this world like they have been with the 850s and G30s i played earlier and the shots seem to go on forever. Distance wise, they are on par with the 850 casts but I will say I'm hitting the 5 and 6 iron a bit longer and more consistent. Tighter dispersion for sure.

I don't know if it's how it sits or what but I'll make contact with the 5 iron and think i'm coming up short but it just keeps going. It's why I dropped the 4 iron, but now I may reconsider. Though I think my gaps are set with my hybrids. I"VE BEEN BORONED!

After switching from the 850 casts to the forged I'm in love. These beauties look and feel great. I can definitely see what you guys were saying about how everything feels flushed other than when you catch it a bit thin. I'm sure I'll want more feedback later but I'm loving the ego boost LOL. Not to mention the forged matches that Mizuno Boron hat I won thanks to THP :).

My occasional pull hook don't seem to be quite as punished and out of this world like they have been with the 850s and G30s i played earlier and the shots seem to go on forever. Distance wise, they are on par with the 850 casts but I will say I'm hitting the 5 and 6 iron a bit longer and more consistent. Tighter dispersion for sure.

I don't know if it's how it sits or what but I'll make contact with the 5 iron and think i'm coming up short but it just keeps going. It's why I dropped the 4 iron, but now I may reconsider. Though I think my gaps are set with my hybrids. I"VE BEEN BORONED!

Good to hear. I'd be coming from 800 cast if I make the move (likely). I'm not at all concerned about thin shots. Thin shot with any club is bad.

Pic looks great in WITB thread too. Already have that bag or grab it with the 850F?

Good to hear. I'd be coming from 800 cast if I make the move (likely). I'm not at all concerned about thin shots. Thin shot with any club is bad.

Pic looks great in WITB thread too. Already have that bag or grab it with the 850F?

I had ordered the Mizuno tour cart bag with the 850 casts, but they didn't last long after reading the review and traded them in for good value for the 850F. My local shop takes care of me pretty good.

A thin shot with any club is bad, for sure. But some sets have a better propensity for still getting some air under the ball and making the miss more manageable than other sets. These struggled there, honestly one of the only places they struggled, which is a good thing. They're a well rounded set of irons with a good feel and solid performance, the struggle low was honestly a surprise to me given how everything else about the head performed.

Think I am going to punt the 850F and go to a combo set of 4-5i in the 545 and 6-P in the 745. Results don't lie! Stuck a pic in of my impacts on the 745 (centered) and the 545 (heeled) when I got done today hitting a large bucket. It doesn't even really make sense as they had the same shaft in them, it's just a mental thing for me. Could probably do 745 all the way through, and may still. There's a slug of hidden forgiveness in those heads that belies their physical size.

Now that's totally something I would do! :act-up:

Totally been there, though. You buy something and think it's great until you hit something else, then it's not so great. You've come to the right place for Club Ho-ing.

Back