Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
While there is no doubt Mizuno is still an iron company in the eyes of many, that is absolutely selling them short in what their last two release cycles have been. In fact, them choosing the hashtag #ReachBeyond is perfection for what they have been bringing to market in every club in their lineup. 

Untitled-28-1024x692.jpg

Look no further to see that than the buzz which their ST-X and ST-Z drivers generated earlier this year, two clubs that offered two diverse options for golfers with flat out performance. But, for many the immediate question was, “What happened to the G?”. 

Well, you have your answer. The ST-G 220 driver is here, and it takes adjustability and versatility to the max. ...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write up @Jman - it sure looks nice. Aesthetically - I've always liked the Mizuno logo and that driver head just looks so shiny and sharp.

I'm sure it'll fit a wide variety of players and continue to help Mizuno move from being an iron company to being known for their drivers as well.

So the back adjustment is a replaceable weight?

Man with all those adjustments i could have that so messed up in 45 minutes, they would create a new shot shape named after me.

• Staff
Great write up @Jman - it sure looks nice. Aesthetically - I've always liked the Mizuno logo and that driver head just looks so shiny and sharp.

I'm sure it'll fit a wide variety of players and continue to help Mizuno move from being an iron company to being known for their drivers as well.
Thank you! It’s a unique driver. And though I can’t share data for a while still, I can say it’s versatile. At the same time, it fits right in between the Z and the X so well it’s shocking.

Man with all those adjustments i could have that so messed up in 45 minutes, they would create a new shot shape named after me.
I think you would be okay.

Next year might be the first that I give Mizuno a real shot at the top end of the bag. Putting out some real good stuff

• Staff

There are two weights that you can put in any of the three tracks, you’ll also be able to buy differently weighted weights!

• Staff
Also, for so many moveable parts, the sound is shockingly good.

That is pretty solid as we know how adding in so much can have an effect on the sound.

I love looking back at the last few years of Mizunos releases and you can see when they started to hit their stride. 2021 seems to have become the culmination of their work. But I feel like they aren't even close to being done improving their woods department.

I love looking back at the last few years of Mizunos releases and you can see when they started to hit their stride. 2021 seems to have become the culmination of their work. But I feel like they aren't even close to being done improving their woods department.
I think you’re right, I think this is just the beginning and we could see Mizuno really step in and pull some people over in woods.

I think you’re right, I think this is just the beginning and we could see Mizuno really step in and pull some people over in woods.

It really is fun to sit back and watch.

Great write up @Jman. I really like the look of this head and will definitely try it out next year. I know you mentioned that you can’t share data yet but how does the performance compare to the ST-X you have? Do you know what the stock shaft pairing is going to be?

@Jman great feedback on this head, now that we're allowed to actually fully talk about it hahaha

I've had a Mizuno driver in the bag for most of this year between the ST-x and now the ST-G and I think my preference leans to the ST-G and the functionality that comes with the simple-to-adjust weighting system.

Originally I had them cooked all forward, but love that you can make a subtle change by taking them back but in the same slots to increase on forgiveness a bit. I've got them locked in there as my driver swing comes around, and can't wait to see how it fully performs.

Funny that this comes out today. I've been looking for an old JPX900 driver to play around with. I like the ability to not only move weight, but remove it totally.

Good stuff as always @Jman!! I am really intriqued with this one. I really liked the STX and to the STZ as well. Mizuno is putting out some really solid drivers that should be on everyones list of drivers to try.

I thought the Z and X drivers this year were really good. Having all this adjustability is nice from a fitting standpoint. If the sound and look is as good as you say then they may have a real big winner here

Really like the adjustability with this one. Talk about being able to fine tune everything to the N’th degree to make sure you have everything the way you want it.

Sounds like a real sneaky good driver on Mizuno’s hands.

I’m a tinkerer, but, once dialed in I’m not likely to change. This driver took me some time, but it’s dialed in now and I’m happy. I do need to work a bit on my stance and hands but the STG delivers. I’m normally 220-240, I’m old what can i say. I’ve had several in the 240-250 range and one that 262 slightly up hill as measured by laser.

but more important than distance is accuracy, I’ve improvedmine with this driver.

what else could a person want? And like my wedges, the old driver has been sold, no going back!

Last edited:
I like the looks and it's versatility. I use the stz and wonder how much better the stg is? Will have to try it.

Definitely looks and sounds like a driver that almost any golfer could configure to work for them. I am glad to see that Mizuno is finally getting their due in the metal wood category. They have been very underrated for some time IMO. Fixing the sound that was once an issue for many to go along with the great looks and verstaility is definitely a win.

I love the sound. At the mizuno experience on the range @Jman and I were discussing this pretty heavy. The sound is slightly different (at least to my ear) and hard for me to put into words. But, it is not a trashcan, and it is not dead sounding. There is life to it that is fun.

This looks fantastic. What I've found is I'm pretty high spin with the driver so the fact (per their website) that you can use the weights to get to an "ultra-low spin" is extremely appealing to me.

Back