Mizuno ST-G Titanium Fairway Woods

I need more time with the 3W on course. My swing has been crap the last two weeks.
I had this in the bag for three rounds and I feel like you that I need more time with it. I hit a few off the toe that were punishing. That being said, I am totally confident that this will be in my bag for a long time.

Last week at the Victory Cup I received the ST-G 3 wood with a loft of 15 degrees. I wasn’t too thrilled with how I hit this club at Victoria National but I think that was solely due to my lack of performance and the difficulty of the course. Tonight after hitting a few balls at the range, the biggest thing that stood out to me is the sound of this club at impact. I’ve always wanted a club that makes that clicking sound and this is it.

This is a big adjustment for me as I’m coming from a hand-me-down Taylormade 3 wood with a flexible shaft. But the look, feel, and sound are all there. I simply think I need more reps with this club and maybe even a lesson as well.

I’m also playing in a simulator league this winter so hopefully I’ll be able to dial this club in and share the data along the way. More to come.

View attachment IMG_5877.mov

Mentioned in the driver thread that I was able to get this out to the course today- full disclosure I am not much for 3W off the tee unless absolutely necessary from a distance perspective- so the purpose of a 3W in the bag for me is going to be the par 5's without danger.

The course I played today is very wide open, with little to no danger and was perfect for an opportunity to put a few swings on the 3W that I received. Both went exactly where I wanted them, leaving me in a great spot to score on the hole. Playing from the fairway is a novel concept for my golf game and one that I hope to experience a bit more throughout the last few rounds of '23, and moving into 2024.

Need to hook Arccos up to this for some distances, but it looks to be on par with what I was seeing from my old one. More to come in the next few weeks as I find a couple nicer November days to test the clubs and the winter gloves we received at VC.

Mentioned in the driver thread that I was able to get this out to the course today- full disclosure I am not much for 3W off the tee unless absolutely necessary from a distance perspective- so the purpose of a 3W in the bag for me is going to be the par 5's without danger.

The course I played today is very wide open, with little to no danger and was perfect for an opportunity to put a few swings on the 3W that I received. Both went exactly where I wanted them, leaving me in a great spot to score on the hole. Playing from the fairway is a novel concept for my golf game and one that I hope to experience a bit more throughout the last few rounds of '23, and moving into 2024.

Need to hook Arccos up to this for some distances, but it looks to be on par with what I was seeing from my old one. More to come in the next few weeks as I find a couple nicer November days to test the clubs and the winter gloves we received at VC.
What was your previous one?

What was your previous one?
Cobra Speedzone- which has been by far my favorite 3W I've ever put in a bag. I pulled it out this year as I was experimenting with a 2 driver set up, since as I mentioned 3W is only a par 5 club for me.

I was absolutely murdering this in the store on the launch monitor, but am not having as much success with it outside thus far. It is extremely punishing on toe hits. At least for me, slight toe misses are knuckle balls with no spin. I am really wanting this to work for me. Staying patient…

I was absolutely murdering this in the store on the launch monitor, but am not having as much success with it outside thus far. It is extremely punishing on toe hits. At least for me, slight toe misses are knuckle balls with no spin. I am really wanting this to work for me. Staying patient…
Funny you mention the toe- I put one way out toe side in my last round, and it hooked but wasn’t as penal as I had thought right after the strike. It was oddly forgiving for how far out I had gotten.

I find the same thing, very punishing on off center. Awesome when nutted.

For some reason I didn’t have this thread in my watched list. Gonna cross post my thoughts from the STG driver thread.

Post 1 - 11/4/23
I am getting along incredibly well with STG 230 3w. It’s a freaking rocket launcher. In the video below you can see the very tight dispersion I’m getting with it. I was just driving around the course tonight hitting different shots and had some real beautiful shots with the 3w.

Post 2 - 11/5/23
The STG 3 wood is so money. I had 250ish out on the par 5 12th hole. I was sitting pretty in the fairway so I decided to go with Threewood. Traditionally I do not hit Fairway Woods very well off the deck ever. I stepped up and proceeded to rope one on a beautiful piercing trajectory straight at the hole it bounced in front of the green and rolled up to leave a 25 foot eagle putt.

I’ve only made this green in two a handful of times over the past two years. I had good pace on the Eagle putt, but left it just about 2 foot above the hole.

I’m officially in love with this Threewood.

Driver can kick rocks. 😂 hopefully I’ll start getting along with it when I get a real size shaft.

The sound of the STG 230 3w is immaculate

I have an infatuation with the 5 wood. This is my second 5 wood to have in the bag but it is a beast. Really easy to hit off the deck or tee. Goes far and straight. The traj for it is really good. Looking forward to using this more and more.

I have an infatuation with the 5 wood. This is my second 5 wood to have in the bag but it is a beast. Really easy to hit off the deck or tee. Goes far and straight. The traj for it is really good. Looking forward to using this more and more.
I feel the exact same way about Threewood. It’s a Renaissance for me. I haven’t hit good Fairway wood off the deck since before I quit the game for 15 years.

I made my first eagle on hole, one at my club with an incredible three wood approach shot to 8 foot yesterday

I feel the exact same way about Threewood. It’s a Renaissance for me. I haven’t hit good Fairway wood off the deck since before I quit the game for 15 years.

I made my first eagle on hole, one at my club with an incredible three wood approach shot to 8 foot yesterday
That is awesome. Congrats!

I just posted in the STG driver thread that my STG 3 wood is currently outperforming the driver. I played a simulator round yesterday and was consistently hitting a draw down the fairway at ~240/250yds. I don't know if I've ever done this before with a 3 wood but I definitely have never done it consistently. I'm really loving everything about this club from the feel, looks, sound, and performance. Consistency was never part of my game so I'm feeling pretty confident with this club right now.

I just posted in the STG driver thread that my STG 3 wood is currently outperforming the driver. I played a simulator round yesterday and was consistently hitting a draw down the fairway at ~240/250yds. I don't know if I've ever done this before with a 3 wood but I definitely have never done it consistently. I'm really loving everything about this club from the feel, looks, sound, and performance. Consistency was never part of my game so I'm feeling pretty confident with this club right now.
That's awesome.

Stg 3w is such a surprise weapon for me too! And it’s also out performing driver for me as well. I’m pretty sure a lot of that has to do with the shortened driver shaft I’m working with currently.

I’m very happy that 3w is so consistent for me I spent quite a few years only pulling 3w when absolutely necessary and ONLY off the tee. It feel so good to have a reliable 220-230 club OFF THE DECK 🤯

The 5 wood impressed again. I really think this is going to be a fairway finder for me. So easy to hit off the deck. This is one of my first dabbles in the 5 wood. I feel like I have a lot more confidence with this than a 3 iron currently.

The 5 wood impressed again. I really think this is going to be a fairway finder for me. So easy to hit off the deck. This is one of my first dabbles in the 5 wood. I feel like I have a lot more confidence with this than a 3 iron currently.
Are you replacing an existing 5 wood? I'm curious as to how this stacks up against your previous club.

Are you replacing an existing 5 wood? I'm curious as to how this stacks up against your previous club.
This has replaced a revolving spot in the bag. I have the older version of the Fli Hi 3 iron or the Cobra Fly Z+ hybrid 2-3 in that spot.

I am just waiting for a Mizuno adapter to arrive. I plan to put a Graphite Design shaft in the 3 wood and see if it gives me more consistency. The Hzrdus Green is too stout for me and for some reason, I just don’t get along with Kai’li Blue shafts. I am kind of excited to see what a shaft change does.

IMG_6150.jpegIMG_6151.jpegIMG_6152.jpegOk, my golf season is over, but I have the new shaft ready to go. I will get it on TrackMan pretty soon to see what we have. It feels better to me, just making swings.

I am just waiting for a Mizuno adapter to arrive. I plan to put a Graphite Design shaft in the 3 wood and see if it gives me more consistency. The Hzrdus Green is too stout for me and for some reason, I just don’t get along with Kai’li Blue shafts. I am kind of excited to see what a shaft change does.
Sam problem for me, that shaft is stout off the deck.

Very cool shaft @Tenputt . I can't wait to hear about how you get along with the 3 wood. It's a really good club for me.

Back