MLB 2011 season (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same thing here, but it was a little different for me because I was supporting the Braves after jumping on their bandwagon earlier in the season. It was so refreshing to see them do well after sucking throughout the 80s, I was crushed when they lost Games 6 and 7. I still can't believe that nucleus only won 1 World Series title in the 90s.

Big shock, I was routing for the Braves too. My uncle was a big braves fan and we used to watch a lot of games together. Also I had a ton of Steve Avery cards because my dad and I thought he was going to be great. He was my first favorite player.

Both Teams will be exhausted from last night, both bullpens got used up pretty good. I think Harrison has a really short leash tonight, if he gets in any trouble I think they go to Lewis on short rest and then Wilson. Should be a great game to end a great series...hopefully with a Rangers win.

Both Teams will be exhausted from last night, both bullpens got used up pretty good. I think Harrison has a really short leash tonight, if he gets in any trouble I think they go to Lewis on short rest and then Wilson. Should be a great game to end a great series...hopefully with a Rangers win.

Wilson as in CJ? I sure hope not or it might be ugly.

Do you Rangers fans even want CJ back next year? Im not trying to start anything, but is he worth 15M a year when he is essentially worthless in the playoffs?

Do you Rangers fans even want CJ back next year? Im not trying to start anything, but is he worth 15M a year when he is essentially worthless in the playoffs?

He can go.

The media is killin' CJ. I was trying to find an interview that was done after last nights game with CJ. The reporter said that CJ almost sounded like a Cardinals fan.

It doesn't help that it's rumored that CJ put his DFW house up for lease.

His regular season numbers were good. He's not the definition of an ACE, who mows down batters. But, he was solid.

Now, it's like he's pitching and he already sees the dollar signs, not like "it's a contract year" and a player buckles down and puts up career best numbers.

He can go.

He'll be one of those good american league pitchers that goes to the national league and put up even better numbers

I figured that was the case. I just hope they stay with the current mantra and get a pitcher and dont try and go get fielder or pujols. They have done so well lately at not throwing huge contracts at hitting.

If they spend some money and pick up another good SP they will be right back in the mix again. This Rangers team is unreal, the talent they have produced/traded for is sick. One day Elvis, Kinsler, Moreland, Murphy, etc will have to get paid though haha

I figured that was the case. I just hope they stay with the current mantra and get a pitcher and dont try and go get fielder or pujols. They have done so well lately at not throwing huge contracts at hitting.

If they spend some money and pick up another good SP they will be right back in the mix again. This Rangers team is unreal, the talent they have produced/traded for is sick. One day Elvis, Kinsler, Moreland, Murphy, etc will have to get paid though haha

This is what worries me if this team wins the series. Players start wanting to get paid and leave or they pull a Chris Johnson.

When you go to google and start typing CJ Wil...

The top results are:
CJ Wilson Twitter
CJ Wilson Girlfried (SI swimsuit issue babe)
CJ WIllson is a douche

When you go to google and start typing CJ Wil...

The top results are:
CJ Wilson Twitter
CJ Wilson Girlfried (SI swimsuit issue babe)
CJ WIllson is a douche

LOL whats up with that last one?

I can't imagine what it's like to be a pitcher for the Rangers with Nolan as President. You better bring 100% everyday. I would hate to get "the look" from him if he saw me sandbagging it during practice. I bet this postseason, with no SP's making it past 6 innings, eats his gut up. Bunch of pansies.

LOL whats up with that last one?

According to the media, I guess CJ comes across as very proud of himself

I think the day after his WS start (possibly is last game as a Ranger), CJ was asked about Free Agency. I'm paraphrasing this.....I heard part of one interview earlier this week and CJ said becoming a free agent is kind of like having a girlfriend. If you don't show her that she's special, she's gonna go find someone that is.

He doesn't even have enough sense to say something to the effect of, "Right now all I care about is the World Series. I talk about that after the season is over".

According to the media, I guess CJ comes across as very proud of himself

I think the day after his WS start (possibly is last game as a Ranger), CJ was asked about Free Agency. I'm paraphrasing this.....I heard part of one interview earlier this week and CJ said becoming a free agent is kind of like having a girlfriend. If you don't show her that she's special, she's gonna go find someone that is.

He doesn't even have enough sense to say something to the effect of, "Right now all I care about is the World Series. I talk about that after the season is over".

Ok that comes across very douchey. He can leave and take his stupid cryo tank stuff with him. Obviously its not helping his pitching and while he's at it he needs to start drinking too.

This is what worries me if this team wins the series. Players start wanting to get paid and leave or they pull a Chris Johnson.

Even if it doesnt happen next year, these guys are going to start to hit arbitration. Thats when you either go long-term or pay them big for a year.

Ian Kinsler6,200,000
6Mike Gonzalez6,000,000
7Mike Napoli5,800,000
8Scott Feldman4,400,000
9Nelson Cruz3,650,000
10Darren Oliver3,250,000
11Yorvit Torrealba3,000,000
12Mike Adams2,535,000
13David Murphy2,400,000
14Colby Lewis2,000,000
15Mark Lowe1,200,000
16Matt Treanor850,000
17Neftali Feliz457,160
18Elvis Andrus452,180
19Derek Holland431,810
20Alexi Ogando430,150
21Matt Harrison428,830
22Mitch Moreland426,000

Some of these numbers are astounding. Talk about production for cheap haha

Found it. I like his "some people like to party" line. Pretty funny.
http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/cj-wilson-finally-discusses-fr.html

When asked if he thought Monday night's Game 5 could be his last start as a Ranger, Wilson had the following to say:
"I don't think about that kind of stuff during the game. The only thing I thought when I left the game was 'This really sucks, it's 2-1 and I'm coming out of the game and there's no chance I have to get a win and that really bums me out.' That was the only thing I could think of in regards to the non pitching angle of the game. Other than that, [a reporter] asked me after the game if it was the last game I pitched in my uniform and I said I already talked about it in the press conference and I'm not answering that question.
"The bottom line is there's no negotiating during the season. ... Whether [Jon Daniels] has been talking to my agent or not -- I don't even know. My agent won't talk to me about it and [Daniels] won't talk to me about. I've had a lot of members of the organization come up to me and say 'Hey, we really want you here. We really like you.' And I'm like, 'Well, you need to tell Nolan that, you don't need to tell me that, because I like it here -- that's not the problem.' I've been playing here for 11 years now, so it's the same thing, it's like family for me.
"At some point you need to be made to feel special. If you have a girlfriend or a wife or whatever -- maybe both, some people like to party -- if you don't make them feel special, eventually they feel neglected and they feel left out. Texas is going to have their chance to do that after the World Series is over and we'll go from there. They have first crack because they own my rights. That's the way it's always been. We've given them a couple opportunities and said this is sort of what we had in mind and they weren't there yet. So hopefully they get there and everything's find and it works out, because it's a great group of guys to play with. Baseball is baseball anywhere, but when you show up to work and you really like the people that you're with, then it makes it a lot more enjoyable and to be a part of a good team like this is really fun."

I can't imagine what it's like to be a pitcher for the Rangers with Nolan as President. You better bring 100% everyday. I would hate to get "the look" from him if he saw me sandbagging it during practice. I bet this postseason, with no SP's making it past 6 innings, eats his gut up. Bunch of pansies.

I think the biggest thing he brings to this team is the ability to evaluate pitchers and pitching talent. For years and years the Rangers provided other teams with some great pitching that they had given up on too soon to know whether they could ever compete or not. They did this for at least 20 years and especially while Tom Grieve was involved as GM. They always seemed to trade off pitching prospects for either over-the-hill hitters or low average home run hitters. Nolan has them holding onto pitching now and I think you will see their pitching staff get better and better each year he is involved.

I am picking the Rangers to win tonight. I think Harrison pitches well but I think it will be close again, a nail biter like last nights game.

The Rangers are next in our arbitration eligibles series.
The Rangers face one of the more sizeable arbitration classes we've encountered so far in the American League. Blanco could be cut if the Rangers don't want to guarantee him a roster spot, though we're estimating only about $500K for his salary. Lewis' $3.25MM club option is a slam dunk, as we're estimating a $6MM salary if he goes to arbitration.
Napoli's fantastic offensive year should push his salary to the $8.5MM range. Cruz has again battled injuries, but he's in line for a healthy $6MM salary. Deadline acquisition Mike Adams is looking at about $4.3MM in his last year before free agency. Andrus, Harrison, and Murphy fall within the $2.6-3.2MM range, while relievers Lowe and O'Day project for $1.3-1.4MM.
All told the Rangers have a pretty expensive group, at an estimated $30MM not including Lewis and Blanco. They have about $101MM in commitments for next year once you add Lewis and Yoshinori Tateyama but before minimum salary players are included. That'd mark the Rangers' first foray past the $100MM mark since the Alex Rodriguez days, so you can see that simply squeezing in C.J. Wilson might require GM Jon Daniels to move some pieces around.

I think CJ signs somewhere else - I don't think the Rangers are willing to pay him. I think it is a mistake on their part but I don't think he comes back.

I think CJ signs somewhere else - I don't think the Rangers are willing to pay him. I think it is a mistake on their part but I don't think he comes back.

Would you mind justifying that for me?

POSTSEASON PITCHING STATISTICS
SEASONGPGSCGSHOIPHRERHRBBSOWLSVHLDBLSVWHIPERA
Total990051.0463228102941150001.474.94

C.J. Wilson has 19 walks this postseason and ties Jaret Wright (1997) for most in a single postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back