Moments you hate golf

I hate moving at a solid clip and having a good time and then BAMMM, you run into a group that tee'd off an hour before you. Buzz and round kill!
I also hate courses that have clueless grounds crews that put pins on slopes, cut the rough wrong and just collect a pay check
I hate all those things too buddy! I never really hate golf, but the expression that a bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work is false. I would much rather have a good day at work then a bad day on the golf course.

funny thing about golf, for me its like a bad day seems to last forever, A bad day hitting the ball makes a range basket of 80 balls feel like 3 hours

For the most part yes but everyone is different. I've played some of my best golf after long layovers ( > 1 month or more)

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^
Yeah it really depends on the person.

I got on the course on thursday after almost a month without playing and managed to shoot my best score ever so I wouldn't say that having layoffs is a bad thing necessarily.

When the cart girl tells me "no, your too old!" I then text my sons and tell them "wish you were here".......:)

When the cart girl tells me "no, your too old!" I then text my sons and tell them "wish you were here".......:)

lol, what was that about hahaha

I had one of those days recently (and actually posted a pretty whiny thread on here!). But (1) you will work yourself out of the funk and get your game back on track and (2) remind yourself (as I keep trying to do) that the entire purpose of doing this is to have fun. Playing, at least for me, is supposed to be my way of getting away, relaxing, and having a good time, so I keep trying to remind myself about that.

Whenever I have one of those days, I take a few days off and see if that's helps. If my next trip out is another poor one I call up my pro and set up a lesson.

I am have over exaggerated by saying I was going to give up for good. But its hard for me mainly because Im trying to learn on my own I do not know anyone near me who plays who would at least give me a basic lessen so not making a trip to the range each weekend has crippling effects on my swing

I've had many of those "I hate this, why even bother" days lately. Never on the course though, no matter how bad it's going, I tend to always find a way to have fun and enjoy the round. But, at the range......

I decided to get lessons after over 10 years away from the game, learning a completely new swing, it can be very frustrating. Seems like one step forward and then 2 back lately.

Remember, it's not your job, golf is supposed to be recreation/fun, try to enjoy it no matter how the swing is going.

I hate all those things too buddy! I never really hate golf, but the expression that a bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work is false. I would much rather have a good day at work then a bad day on the golf course.

Being a salesman with a smart phone, a good day at the office can occur during a bad day at the golf course. Plus, I'm usually playing with a customer, so playing bad and loosing $2 a hole is actually great for business. At least that's how I justify my terrible game in my head. :)

Last edited:
I am going to need some serious therapy after shooting 79 with a 5 putt triple and three 3 putt bogies. Stupid game. Keep at it

My play usually doesn't get me down too much. If anything will, it's poor wedge work. That's just the one thing I tend to not deal with very well. Regardless, it doesn't happen a lot. I've been frustrated, but never for long. I hit a bad one and I move on to the next shot. If my love of the game was related to results I would have quit a very long time ago. Other people on the course seem to annoy me more than anything else.

I am have over exaggerated by saying I was going to give up for good. But its hard for me mainly because Im trying to learn on my own I do not know anyone near me who plays who would at least give me a basic lessen so not making a trip to the range each weekend has crippling effects on my swing

Grod,

If you do not have the money or opportunity to work with a pro, let me suggest this:

Go to YouTube and search for "Shawn Clement". He's got more than 200 videos and is a FABULOUS teacher. It's not the same as having an in-person lesson, but if that's not an option, Shawn's videos are the next best thing. He's done a ton for my swing. If you have any questions about his methodology, I'd be happy to answer them. Just shoot me a PM.

You can rest assured that if you follow his teaching, you will be on the path to a solid golf swing. I'd recommend starting with "Ridiculously Easy Golf Swing" and "Hitting the ball is not your job".

Everyone has those days, man. Keep your head up and it will come back to you with further practice. I play mini tours and tournaments and occasionally have rounds that make me question what im putting my time, effort and money into. Golf is mental.

I usually feel this way for 15 or 16 of that holes at one point or other, LOL. It's those couple of holes that everything went perfectly from tee to hole that makes up for it. Yesterday I shot a 111. Warmup was great on the range and the chipping and putting green. I've been scoring in the low 90's and been looking forward to getting down into the 80's hopefull. Then I absolutely couldn't do anything right. Even the things I did right and well, screwed me up yesterday. For example I normall put a fade/slice on my 3H when I hit off the deck. I aim left to compensate. What do I do yesterday? Three times, striped it off of the deck in a perfectly straight line into lateral hazard areas. I found the ball all three times, but now I'm playing from trouble. You gotta hate it when even the good results screw you up completely. Birdied one hole, feeling good, next tee shot I yanked it completely left OB!! I rarely go left on my drives, at least, not that far left. Go figure. At the end, you just have to laugh it off, and reflect on the fact that I played a round with two good friends and my son. Beautiful lake views for most of the course, beautiful weather, and what better place could I have spent day. Then I'll come back for more the next go round and hope for better. Don't let the frustration overtake your enjoyment of the company you keep and the good times/memories. If it ever gets to that point, there's nothing wrong with choosing another hobby. Golf is not for everyone, even though everyone has the potential to enjoy the game regardless of aptitude for improvement.

I hate golf the moment the temperature outside gets so cold that my fingers go numb and hitting the ball feels like hitting a rock. However, I get all warm and tingly about golf when spring rolls around....

Great thread. I have been obsessed with golf for the last 4-5 years.(when I started playing at age 32) I found it a challenge and struggled to get better. I bought training aids, books, lessons, recorded golf shows, etc. I got better over time but still pretty terrible and VERY short compared to my peers. I was playing pretty well by my standards a couple months ago, so I decided to face one of my biggest fears and enter a local golf tournament. We all have had those times where you build up some fear in your head and then you do it and it isn't nearly as bad as you imagined...well this wasn't one of those times. I had no business being there and played awful. Since that drubbing I haven't picked up a club or had any desire to go out to a course. It is a weird feeling as I would constantly be swinging a club while watching tv or putting on the carpet.

I have sworn I was going to quit golf after a terrible round before, but was always back at within a day or two. It has been well over a month and still have no desire to pick up a club. It is gorgeous today but I am going to watch some football and play with my kids. Seems like a much better use of time lately. I suppose most below average golfers reach a point where they question the investment in time and money they put into it and reach a decision to accept playing at that level and just be able to enjoy the game or you find something you are better at it.

Hate is a strong word but golf is tough to love when you've been on a hot streak for 4 or 5 weeks and then inexplicably you forget how to drive, approach, chip, and putt all at the same time.
Then you go to the range to sort it out and you hit it perfectly.
Then you play again and can't hit a ball.

Why?!?!?

Lots of moments that have lasted about 6 hours over the last two days.

I think "hate" is a bit too strong. After all, I'm not at work, no one's barking up my tree, I'm getting exercise and I'm "playing", not "working" golf.

On my most recent round though I felt sleepy for the first time while playing golf, because the day before was a long trip, 18 holes, and a long night of scotch. I was basically listless and clumsy during the first nine holes. I wasn't quitting, but I was losing the desire to play well.

Fortunately, things got better as the last nine kicked in, and I ended up scoring only one stroke worse than the day before.

The biggest upshot of that day was that I practiced grinding and focusing on my shot even when the fire to play well was waning.

This was something I could take with me in future games. Still a good one.

Been there plenty of times, especially this season, but it is that one pure shot that pulls you back, reminds you that you do have it in you to play this game if you can get out of your own way.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

There are plenty of days when I was younger that I hated golf. As I've gotten older and have bigger things in my life than golf I never let the really poor ball striking or putting days on the course course change my mood. I'm happy to be on the course wether I'm shooting 3 strokes under my index or 15 shots over. I 3 putted 3 consecutive holes the other day and all I could do was laugh. 30 years ago I would have been throwing my putter and been a bear to be around for a few holes.

Last edited:
There are none. There used to be, but no more. I love the game whether I play well or suck uncontrollably. Used to get real pissed and take it too seriously, but I've finally learned that I'm never going pro so I might as well enjoy myself!

Now, do I get frustrated? You bloody well bet I do. But rest assured I'm still where I want to be - on the course.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This has only happened to me once and it ended up ruining the game for me for about a year.

Some buddies and i went on a golf trip and the weather was just awful. Cold, rain and snow ruined the golf and kept us in the hotel room playing cards most of the time and i was miserable. Im spending all this time away from my wife and son just to play golf and i cant because its crappy out and im in a hotel room playing cards and watching tv. It killed me. When i got home i didnt want to look at my golf clubs

Back