My GolfTEC "fitting" experience this morning

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have had a fitting scheduled that I have been anxiously awaiting for over 3 weeks. When I showed up the guy started asking me all these questions like what do I shoot, what are my problem areas, what are my goals, etc.

I answered all these questions then we go back in the room, and he says ok lets get started with the lesson. I was like..um....this is supposed to be a clubfitting. He says, oh ok. Well why do you want a fitting. I explained that my clubs are 12 years old and I'd like some newer technology. A bit more forgiving, but my tee shots are whats really killing me.

So he says ok, why don't we do a lesson/fitting. I'm like OK great! He grabs my current driver (G15/stiff) and has me hit a few. 260 yds but only 5 degree launch angle, same as last time I was on the monitor. Immediately he points out a few alignment/address issues he sees which is causing my low launch angles and lack of consistency.

So he shows me a few things, and after a few dozen awkward swings, I started crushing the ball 300 plus with between 13-16 degree launch angles. Sweet!

Next up irons. Based on my current irons which apparently are considered "muscle backs", he came back with 4 different irons. Callaway Razor X Forged, Cobra S2 forged, Mizuno MX300 and then he asked if there was any I had my eye on. I mentioned the Nike Pro Combos and the CG16's. He didn't like the pro combos for me and suggested the Pro Cavity's instead. Also he Grabbed a CG7 forged instead of the CG16. SO....basically I had 4 forged clubs and the Pro Cavity's. His reasoning was the feel of the club and still some workability. Since I had been playing muscle backs, the forged clubs should be no problem for me and actually feel even better when hit right.

So I start swinging these on the monitor. (all 6 irons btw) My current 6 iron I hit for 180 yd distances. With almost all of these I was hitting 6 iron anywhere between 200-215. WHAT!? he was very surprised and I was like WOW. I didn't really want more distance than I already have, I want consistency and bit of forgiveness. So...we pretty much ruled out the Callaway due to them being so light, he said I need a heavier club head anyhow, I didn't really care for the Mizuno either.

The Nike Pro Cavity, Cobra S2 forged and CG7 were all pretty close. I really like the looks of all 3 of these even though they are completely different.

My time was up (he spent almost 90 mins with me) he charged me $99 for the time. In the end he said, if it were him he'd go with the Pro Cavity's.

So I guess I never got my "clubfitting" he didn't measure my grip size or loft/lie, he did measure my wrist to floor and then said I'm standard everything. He basically picked a few clubs off the rack and said hit these. I was hoping to leave with a better idea of what I want or should get, not to be more confused than ever.

Overall I was pleased with my experience. The guy was really nice and helpful, he showed me a few things that will "hopefully" help me get off the tee better. BUT in the end I am a bit bummed that there were no numbers/info put into a database as they advertise, there was no shaft recommendation except for "stiff". I still don't know which irons to get, I am left with wanting more and I really don't want to go back for another "fitting".

Last edited:
I would follow up and see if they can actually do a fitting at no additional charge. You need to determine loft, lie, and then also get fitted for a shaft. That's just strange...should have been a complete club fitting with maybe a mention of a lesson and/or a few tips but to not get any fitting in within the 90 minutes is ridiculous.

99 bucks and didn't get what you asked for? I'm sure the guy was nice but for $100 bucks getting that info for you should have been a no brainer to me......

I have had a fitting scheduled that I have been anxiously awaiting for over 3 weeks. When I showed up the guy started asking me all these questions like what do I shoot, what are my problem areas, what are my goals, etc.

I answered all these questions then we go back in the room, and he says ok lets get started with the lesson. I was like..um....this is supposed to be a clubfitting. He says, oh ok. Well why do you want a fitting. I explained that my clubs are 12 years old and I'd like some newer technology. A bit more forgiving, but my tee shots are whats really killing me.

So he says ok, why don't we do a lesson/fitting. I'm like OK great! He grabs my current driver (G15/stiff) and has me hit a few. 260 yds but only 5 degree launch angle, same as last time I was on the monitor. Immediately he points out a few alignment/address issues he sees which is causing my low launch angles and lack of consistency.

So he shows me a few things, and after a few dozen awkward swings, I started crushing the ball 300 plus with between 13-16 degree launch angles. Sweet!

Next up irons. Based on my current irons which apparently are considered "muscle backs", he came back with 4 different irons. Callaway Razor X Forged, Cobra S2 forged, Mizuno MX300 and then he asked if there was any I had my eye on. I mentioned the Nike Pro Combos and the CG16's. He didn't like the pro combos for me and suggested the Pro Cavity's instead. Also he Grabbed a CG7 forged instead of the CG16. SO....basically I had 4 forged clubs and the Pro Cavity's. His reasoning was the feel of the club and still some workability. Since I had been playing muscle backs, the forged clubs should be no problem for me and actually feel even better when hit right.

So I start swinging these on the monitor. (all 6 irons btw) My current 6 iron I hit for 180 yd distances. With almost all of these I was hitting 6 iron anywhere between 200-215. WHAT!? he was very surprised and I was like WOW. I didn't really want more distance than I already have, I want consistency and bit of forgiveness. So...we pretty much ruled out the Callaway due to them being so light, he said I need a heavier club head anyhow, I didn't really care for the Mizuno either.

The Nike Pro Cavity, Cobra S2 forged and CG7 were all pretty close. I really like the looks of all 3 of these even though they are completely different.

My time was up (he spent almost 90 mins with me) he charged me $99 for the time. In the end he said, if it were him he'd go with the Pro Cavity's.

So I guess I never got my "clubfitting" he didn't measure my grip size or loft/lie, he did measure my wrist to floor and then said I'm standard everything. He basically picked a few clubs off the rack and said hit these. I was hoping to leave with a better idea of what I want or should get, not to be more confused than ever.

Overall I was pleased with my experience. The guy was really nice and helpful, he showed me a few things that will "hopefully" help me get off the tee better. BUT in the end I am a bit bummed that there were no numbers/info put into a database as they advertise, there was no shaft recommendation except for "stiff". I still don't know which irons to get, I am left with wanting more and I really don't want to go back for another "fitting".

If you buy irons from Golf Galaxy the fitting is included.

I would give them a call and explain what happen. You wanted a "fitting" and did'nt get one. If they give you the runaround, ask them for your fitting numbers from their "database". If they gave you a true fitting they should be in there.

While I would appreciate the lesson info, I would have to say that I would be a little upset that I didn't get what I came in and paid for.

That's like going to a restaurant and ordering a big steak but getting a salad brought to you instead....

If I was an employee at GolfTec I would say that you should have been more forthcoming and if you wanted a full fitting with data and numbers you should have made sure that is what you were getting when you were in there.

As the consumer, I would say that the reservation I made was for a fitting. I already explained to the store that is what I wanted and made the appointment for that particular purpose. They should have seen that and given me what I wanted. How am I to know what was being done wasn't the fitting that I asked for?

Just sort of a point/counterpoint from both sides. From what you described, it sounds like they got a little lazy and just did different things with you for the time you were there to make you feel good, let you demo some clubs, gave you a half-hearted recommendation, took your money, and pushed you out the door. I'm sure if you go back, they will gladly charge you another $100 to get fit with the right shaft, lie angle, etc.

HMMMMMMM? Seems like I have heard of this type of Golftec experience before. Oh, yeah, it happened to me this past Monday! They suck. Go to a reputable, local golf outlet and get the fitting for free. I got suckered just like you did. It a few threads down. And don't bother calling corporate, you can't get to them. Who says the best things in life arent free? Good luck.

HMMMMMMM? Seems like I have heard of this type of Golftec experience before. Oh, yeah, it happened to me this past Monday! They suck. Go to a reputable, local golf outlet and get the fitting for free. I got suckered just like you did. It a few threads down. And don't bother calling corporate, you can't get to them. Who says the best things in life arent free? Good luck.

Yeah I had read your thread a few days ago and even posted that I was nervous about even keeping my appointment. :)

I am currently sending the actual guy that I dealt with an email stating my displeasure about not getting what I paid for. We'll see what happens. If nothing I will not be buying my clubs from golfsmith.

man 2 bad experiences in the same week, hopefully these are isolated and become more few and far between

Wow. The guy had no idea why you were there? That should have been a red flag from the start.

I went in for a club analysis a few weeks ago and the Golf Tec employee refused to give me my data. Posts like this are becoming a little too common.

After talking to people in my area about my experience, I found out the guy that franchised and runs my local Golf Tec worked the floor at Golf Galaxy just before opening his facility. Nothing against Golf Galaxy or their employees, I just figured Golf Tec owners had a lot more industry experience than simply working retail at a big box store.

If Golf Tec isn't careful, their name may get tarnished beyond repair soon.

Wow, come on GolfTec.

For what it's worth, I loved my fitting. Great, knowledgeable staff who were happy to help.

I am not liking these last few fittings I have read about from GolfTec, I know it has more to do with the fitter than the company, but a fitting is about lie, length, grip size, shaft flex & weight not about "if it were him he'd go with the Pro Cavity's". That was not a fitting IMO.

Yeah, I was on the verge of doing a fitting with them until I saw a few of these posts, I'll wait on save a little more and go to Taylormade Performance Labs

Just typing out loud here. Maybe you need to tell them..."Ok, Pro Cavities it is," then they check your numbers? Are they thinking people will run away with the numbers and buy em online? Honestly, I would. I mean, who wants to pay full retail when it is so easy to NOT pay full retail. Maybe offer the fitting fee back if you buy the clubs? Again, just typing out loud.

man 2 bad experiences in the same week, hopefully these are isolated and become more few and far between

Wow.I read these and wonder why..... I have nothing but praise for Golftec. They have done all my fittings and have been awesome. Always had full fitting ,with paper work in hand at the end every thing was in those paper. Measurements, lofts lies shafts options. Sorry you left more confused .. Golfsmith also gives you your numbers for free. Good luck..

Wow, come on GolfTec.

For what it's worth, I loved my fitting. Great, knowledgeable staff who were happy to help.

Did you go to B'ham for yours? Thats the Golftec that I visited.

Just typing out loud here. Maybe you need to tell them..."Ok, Pro Cavities it is," then they check your numbers? Are they thinking people will run away with the numbers and buy em online? Honestly, I would. I mean, who wants to pay full retail when it is so easy to NOT pay full retail. Maybe offer the fitting fee back if you buy the clubs? Again, just typing out loud.

They tell you flat out they're not retailers, so in my experience, no they don't care where you buy the equipment. However, from my experience and the stories I've been reading here I've come to this conclusion - The "fitting" is a loss-leader for them used to bring people through the door. They are in the lesson business. The guy I dealt with saw me 3 times and only charged me for 1, but I still never got a "fitting" - I did however get pitched a lesson package for $1800+

Wow.I read these and wonder why..... I have nothing but praise for Golftec. They have done all my fittings and have been awesome. Always had full fitting ,with paper work in hand at the end every thing was in those paper. Measurements, lofts lies shafts options. Sorry you left more confused .. Golfsmith also gives you your numbers for free. Good luck..

In the end this is a franchise. Without very tight corporate controls (think McDonalds) you are going to get different levels of service and different approaches to the business at every store. Some franchisees will "buy-in" to the system and follow it perfectly, others won't.

He paid money for a fitting. He should get a fitting. He shouldn't have to promise to buy his clubs from them.

They tell you flat out they're not retailers, so in my experience, no they don't care where you buy the equipment. However, from my experience and the stories I've been reading here I've come to this conclusion - The "fitting" is a loss-leader for them used to bring people through the door. They are in the lesson business. The guy I dealt with saw me 3 times and only charged me for 1, but I still never got a "fitting" - I did however get pitched a lesson package for $1800+

In the end this is a franchise. Without very tight corporate controls (think McDonalds) you are going to get different levels of service and different approaches to the business at every store. Some franchisees will "buy-in" to the system and follow it perfectly, others won't.

Flooder, I believe you are absolutely dead on with that assessment. Couldnt agree more.

I did. Who was the guy who fitted you? Short with glasses?

Nope. I got the manager, Scott. Makes sense that you had a different experience. You had a totally different person. Glad yours has turned out good though.

Nope. I got the manager, Scott. Makes sense that you had a different experience. You had a totally different person. Glad yours has turned out good though.

Yeah. I had a person that was actually still getting his PGA certification. He was outstanding. Very, very patient, smart, honest, and thorough. I got fit for shaft, length, lie, and proper club head. I also got a great mini lesson at the end that has really improved my game.

I've heard more negative reviews than positive when it comes to GolfTec...

I for one will probably never get a "fitting" done there. Even though you are pleased with how it went, I still feel like you got cheated. Thanks for sharing your experience though.

Back