Some Flames news...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328969

According to the NHLPA, defenceman Ian White and the Calgary Flames have come to terms on a one-year, $2,999,995 contract.

By doing so, the two sides avoided an arbitration hearing that was scheduled for Friday morning in Toronto.

White, 26, scored four goals and eight assists in 27 games for Calgary after coming over from the Toronto Maple Leafs as part of the Dion Phaneuf trade on Jan. 31. In 83 games split between Toronto and Calgary last year, White counted 13 goals and 25 assists.

White filed for salary arbitration on July 5 as a restricted free agent. The native of Steinbach, MB is entering his sixth NHL season, and was a sixth-round pick of the Maple Leafs in the 2002 draft.

Sort of what was expected. I'm happy they avoided arbitration...but don't really see him being here longer than this season. The actual number itself is pretty strange/interesting though.

BOOOO Flames :D

Chicago made a good move passing on Niemi and picking up Turco. If Turco can find a way back to his old form he will make up for several sins and with the Hawks blueliners are pretty much in tack I can see it happening. So now to repeat they have to find a way to pick up for the players they let go which will be no small task. I can't see anyone paying Niemi $2.75m he just not even close to worth it. Looks like Bowman learned his lesson from Huet.

Hate to disagree with ya LefTe, but I'd much rather have Niemi than Turco.

There was talk in LA this morning that Lombardi is interested in Niemi and spinning off Quick for a goal scorer or a solid defenseman now that Greene is out. Of course they have been wrong on everything they have reported so far.

Chicago made a good move passing on Niemi and picking up Turco. If Turco can find a way back to his old form he will make up for several sins and with the Hawks blueliners are pretty much in tack I can see it happening. So now to repeat they have to find a way to pick up for the players they let go which will be no small task. I can't see anyone paying Niemi $2.75m he just not even close to worth it. Looks like Bowman learned his lesson from Huet.

I don't understand how a team can just let the goalie that was their starter when they won the stanley cup just walk away. Come on Chicago, remember who helped win you the cup.

Hate to disagree with ya LefTe, but I'd much rather have Niemi than Turco.

I agree I'd rather have Niemi than Turco, he's on the downward slide of his career, he's got more experience but I couldn't say it's upgrade for them.
There was talk in LA this morning that Lombardi is interested in Niemi and spinning off Quick for a goal scorer or a solid defenseman now that Greene is out. Of course they have been wrong on everything they have reported so far.

Niemi would be good for LA especially if they can get a little something in return of Quick. But don't get me wrong even if Quick stays around you're pretty solid in goal.

But don't get me wrong even if Quick stays around you're pretty solid in goal.

Im happy with Quick in goal and Ersberg backing him up. The only problem is that Jonathan Bernier is knocking at the door and he looks to be the real deal. Chances are he will be a back up this year and Ersberg is gone but Bernier will force his way into an everyday role.

Im happy with Quick in goal and Ersberg backing him up. The only problem is that Jonathan Bernier is knocking at the door and he looks to be the real deal. Chances are he will be a back up this year and Ersberg is gone but Bernier will force his way into an everyday role.

Not a bad problem to have!!!

Last edited:
Quick>Niemi>Turco, IMO.

haha Chicago post Stanley Cup has been hilarious..

No offense to Chicago fans of course.. You guys were the envy of the hockey league, but Tallon screwed you so hard.

SJ offered Hjalmarsson big money because they could just trade him. But they knew chicago would match the coin. So SJ purposely lost the deal to hjalmarsson and knew Chicago couldnt afford Niemi. As a chicago fan, I feel hosed. Dont be surprised for niemi to go to sj and chicago to look like dummies

i think team of the year will be the TBL for sure. Lets just say they only have 2 non-canadian forwards. And the kid from alaska doesnt count

theyve pulled in quite a few big names too. Goalies are suspect though imo. Lots of people think they have strong tenders though

i think team of the year will be the TBL for sure. Lets just say they only have 2 non-canadian forwards. And the kid from alaska doesnt count

theyve pulled in quite a few big names too. Goalies are suspect though imo. Lots of people think they have strong tenders though

Agreed. Yzerman has done awesome thus far.

I have high hopes for Columbus with the new coach/system.. Could be a huge change.

As a die hard Avs fan it's tough to give Yzerman a compliment, but he's been doing a pretty good job right out the chute in Tampa.

As a die hard Avs fan it's tough to give Yzerman a compliment, but he's been doing a pretty good job right out the chute in Tampa.

Hope no one you know reads this. An Avs fan saying that is like an American giving props to Hitler

Breaking news....hahaha.

Roman Turek, NHL record of 159-115-43, announced his retirement after 5yr stint in Czech Extraliga.

http://twitter.com/NHLFlames

Kovy a free agent. We will see who comes up with the most money now. Theres no way he WANTED to be a devil

Kovy a free agent. We will see who comes up with the most money now. Theres no way he WANTED to be a devil

I think he will work it out with the Devils

Teemu Salane will be back with the Ducks. Will he ever retire?!?!? LOL

Anyone planning on attending the Winter Classic in either Pitt or Canada? Attending is certainly on my bucket list, but I won't be crossing it off this year.

I'll find a way to go for sure. :)

Back