Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has sent out drivers to the forum testers that were selected after signup and here is a list of those that will be providing feedback in this thread.

Sean
Jman215
MattyKrack

This thread will be for them to offer their long term thoughts as they use the driver and offer feedback as to how it works for them.

Lets keep this thread clear until the guys start getting their Nicklaus driver in and posting initial thoughts. Thanks.

The Unveiling Nicklaus Golf ML4 Driver

I received the Nicklaus Golf ML4 Driver today. Below are a few pictures. The club was built by Rick Gomes to my specifications and even has my name in a clear band at the top of the shaft, which is a Fujikura Speed Weight 55 gram shaft.

Initial impressions: the club is elegant in it's simplicity. Toward the grip the shaft is a dark maroon that fades to black as it eases it's way to the club head. The club head crown is a deep, rich black color with no symbols, logos, or aim points. In addition, the head is not what I would describe as overly large as I find many of today's club heads to be. The sole of the club has four slots, which can be seen in the photo below, as well as a "Speedflow Technology" radial slot that I imagine is used to support aerodynamic airflow around the club. The club face isn't as deep as my current driver, which just from eye appeal I prefer over my current driver.

Based on initial impression I like the look of this club. I've looked at just about every new driver and I find them too big for my liking. My current driver is a 2005 model, which while 460cc doesn't look like a VW beetle. I like the simple, yet elegant looks of the ML4, yet it also seems to be loaded with technology.

Obviously a club has to have visual appeal to the golfer, but it also has to perform. I will give the ML4 it's first test run tomorrow. In all fairness I will have to give the ML4 numerous test runs both on the range and on the course before I can make any final conclusions. I will give running commentaries but will refrain from offering a final conclusion until I've given the ML4 a fair shakedown.

If you have any questions while I'm testing this club, please feel free to ask. Thank you for taking the time to read my impressions and test results.

Sean

000_0179.jpg

000_0178.jpg

000_0180.jpg

000_0177.jpg

000_0181.jpg

VERY nice Sean! Gives me hopes for mine to show today as well, but, I'm still thinking Friday. Can't wait to get to testing on it, can't wait to hear your thoughts too Sean!

Thanks Jman! I look forward to your thoughts too. :) I forgot to mention about the head cover. The head cover is very well made, fits perfectly and it isn't a struggle to get it on and off the club head like some are wont to do. Also, the color matches my golf bag perfectly. lol

I would also like to thank THP and Nicklaus Golf for trusting me to be a tester/reviewer for the ML4, a responsibility I take very seriously.

Nice initial thoughts Sean. Funny, I was going to mention the headcover and how I liked the looks of it.

Can't wait to hear more buddy.

Great pictures Sean. I can't wait to hear how it does for you.

Great first thoughts Sean. Does the club have the origin sticker on it? IE where it's made? How does the club sit at address?

Thanks for the early input Sean. I'm anxious to see what you think of not having an alignment aid on the crown when you start to hit it

I really like the look of this driver, hope it performs well to!

mine came today!

i was also fitted with the 55g fuji shaft in s flex, and a white lamkin midsize 3 gen grip!! which i love and have on all my clubs, minus the irons

very clean looking, nothing to say look at me im a so and so, like i said before i wish it had an alignment aid, but thats a minor detail!

i just got back to range where i hit about 25 balls with the driver, wasnt a good day as i have been battling my swing, i had some really bad pulls, then some of the usual slices, but when i hit it good it was going about 250 per range markers, with a slight draw.. if i can get my swing down and hit all my drives like that, this driver will be a winner, the best part was i didnt have any of the major 90* slices i was having with the SF 2.0, the driver felt ok, nothing majorly different then other drivers ive hit, when i hit it good, it had a nice mid flight, right around the 250 markers it starts going uphill so i cant say anything about roll, but so far im happy with it, this saturday ill have it at my league so ill get some better numbers on how it plays with a premium ball on a course.

thats it for now, illl be back sat after league to give more thoughts

here are some pix!!

IMG00293.jpg

IMG00294.jpg

IMG00295.jpg

IMG00296.jpg

IMG00300.jpg

IMG00299.jpg

IMG00297.jpg

IMG00298.jpg

Very cool. Looking forward to hearing how you guys like them.

Same goes for you Matty hehe
Thanks for the early input Sean. I'm anxious to see what you think of not having an alignment aid on the crown when you start to hit it

Please be in Oklahoma, please be in Oklahoma.....

Great stuff so far gents!

Very classic look, can't wait to hear how it performs!

Great first thoughts Sean. Does the club have the origin sticker on it? IE where it's made? How does the club sit at address?
Thanks Bench. No, it didn't have a sticker...I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and be able to let you know how it sits at address.

no sticker on mine either

Jman, did you check your back porch, under the grill, places like that?

Haha, under the grill! Duh!

My loveley wife is headed to the PO to grab it now, our route carrier is mental lol

Guys I'm loving the pictures. You're really capturing the good looks of the club and that headcover is awesome.

You guys have done an awesome job so far. I cant wait for the reviews when you start to hit them. Have fun.

Muahahahahaha....this was waiting for me when I got home thanks to my wonderful wife going to the post office while I was still at work.

Naturally I tore into this as soon as I could after I walked in the door, what was waiting though? I was paired with a 10.5* head and I seriously say that its an understated looker IMO. More on that after pics though.

This HC is actually very very nice, never had one quite like it. Easy on and off here at the house and its looks are alot like the driver to me, not too much, just enough.
DSC_0048-4.jpg

Now, I know most dig into the looks of the head first, I want to focus on the shaft and grip first though. Master club-builder Rick Gomes did exactly what I wanted (and didn't think I was picky lol) when I asked for a mid-sized grip with three wraps under the right hand as this is something I've been working with alot lately and its really helped me and my battles with my right hand. But, back on track....the grip ended up a white Lamkin 3Gen and it looks GREAT and the 3Gen's are actually the only Lamkins I care for. Very nice surprise!
DSC_0042-5.jpg

Now, the shaft. Mine arrives with the Fujikura Speed-Weight 55 that was designed for Nicklaus for these drivers, Mr. Gomes paired me with the stiff-flex version according to my swing speed. The feel of the shaft weight wise is nicely balanced, I'm coming from the Miyazaki 39S which is actually 47g's so the difference is not much in hand. I honeslty can't wait to see the characteristics of the shaft in my swing though. The looks of the Fujikura are alot like the head is to me, simply stated but gets the point across. The shaft has a nice red to black fade and looks sweet with the white 3Gen on one end and the all black ML4 head on the other. (Plus, there's my name on the top of the shaft under the grip! Hard to see in the first pic but its there!)
DSC_0040-4.jpg

DSC_0037-3.jpg

Now, yes, to the head. I was eager to actually see this one in my hands. I like the pictures that I saw for its simplicities stakes but I don't think the pictures get across how well stated everything is together. The all black is classic, the Speedflow cutouts look very good with the flow of the whole driver (I have one knock with this here, more on that in a second though), the black and silver on the sole really looks better than the pictures show, and lastly I'm digging the look of the face and just how mine sits. To my eye my 10.5* sits square, and thats a great thing for me and my eye. My ONLY miniature nit-pick from a looks standpoint is in the "Speedflow" cutouts, in that cavity is what looks and feels to me like a simple sticker/decal. Like I said NITPICKY I know but it is something that caught my attention, because of where it sits on the head I'm curious to see if monthos of play have any impact on its condition at all. Just the one thing that stuck out to me personally.

Now, I tried to get pics form ALL angle for you all.
DSC_0027-4.jpg

DSC_0030-3.jpg

DSC_0028-3.jpg

DSC_0031-3.jpg

DSC_0033-4.jpg

DSC_0047-5.jpg

DSC_0034-3.jpg

DSC_0036-3.jpg

In all, I hope to get on course tomorrow but will this weekend for sure, form everything I've heard these heads pack a real punch. It sure as heck passes my eye test though. I know alot have talked about how they think it looks "too plain", it TRULY does look better in hand than in the pics. I'm truly honored to get to take this one through the paces for an extended time and I guarantee you I will do just that. Many thanks again to Nicklaus Golf and THP for letting us three at these drivers.

Great job with the pics Jman!

Exceptional pictures, Jman! Love the initial thoughts from everybody as well. That is a very nice looking driver, imo.

Great stuff guys, love the pics and initial thoughts. Can't wait for some on the course feedback from you guys.

Back