Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

Hi golfers,
I actually changed mind again and picked up a nine degree ML4. Final answer.

Anyway, as it stands now, the latest information I received is Edwin Watts has two 9 degree regs left and thirteen 9 degree stiffs. These are clubs in inventory at their retail locations and that is why I think you will not see them on the website. i dealt directly with a Mr. Bush. He is located in the West Palm Beach Edwin Watts facility and is, I believe, the manager.
Nice to hear Rob. Look forward to hear how you like it! :)

Just started reading this thread. Has me very interested and I have been actually looking for a 10.5 offset for my miserable weekend attempts at playing the game :) So the RGB price is pretty awesome even with shipping to Canada for me. Quick question for those who have tried the stock regular shaft. I may of missed the post already but does it feel/play as a true regular? Just wondering if the impression was a tad on the soft/stiff side or pretty true?
I played the R flex. I felt it played true, but I the launch angle was high for me. It didn't balloon, but still went high.

I had the offset model I got a couple months ago out on the course for the first time yesterday. I've been hitting a little into a net with tape on it to preserve it in case I didn't like it, and I knew it was a cannon, but Jesus, I've never hooked a ball like that in my life. It's not going to work for me, so I'm looking for a 10.5 degree (or any degree) non-offset model; and I have a 10.5 stiff flex offset hit 5 times I could let go cheaply.

Rockbottom only has offset. Check above for the Edwin Watts info,,they might have 10.5 stiff non offset. Google EdwinWatts west palm beach and seek out the manager.

I went to the range for the first time with the 9 degree regular ML4 and my Cobra s3 stiff to compare the two. The story with the Cobra S3 is as follows: My usual swing results in straight drives rolling up to about 235-250 with the stiff S3. I have been living with this for a while and have generally relegated myself to the fact that the most I could get off the tee is a result of a long ingrained self-taught unorthodox setup which requires lining up very open to the target line, bringing the driver back on a flat inside path, and VERY STRONGLY coming through the ball in a way that produced a long straight pull. Since, however, I was lined up to the right, the pull turns into a straight shot down the middle. However, when I would attempt to finesse the ball to produce a fade, for example, any even slight manipulation would produce disastrous results. Now I know this sounds crazy but this is the way it is.

This year I made my mind up to set up square to the target line and produce a swing a little slower with the idea that I would eventually produce fades and draws at will. After reading the thread i decided to get an ML4. I finally decided to get the nine degree regular because I prefer the flatter loft angle and figured that if the shaft wasn't right, that I would still have what testers here have deemed an excellent club head. So the range results panned out like this. The S3 did what it always did when I set as described above. When I lined up square and took the more controlled swing I have been working on with the Cobra, the trajectory was down and the flight was a bit left. Distance was reduced. I attribute this to me now not loading the shaft as I probably did with the unorthodox set up.

Now the ML4. The 55 gram shaft was perfect for me and the regular flex provided me the feel I wanted. The ball took off the face and I was rewarded with nice fades. The ball flight was higher (probably due to the shaft flex). When i allowed myself to get into a few, I was clearly long with the slight fade. Overall, I am very glad I bought the club. Off the tees only, I am in a real swing/tempo change time right now so until i take it out on the course, I will then know truly if I am going to continue down this road.

Muscle memory and years of compensating are very difficult things to break-especially when they worked to some degree.

Again,,,I will say this...the ML4 has a tremendous amount of feel and the ball really comes off the face. I can't really comment on off center hits yet since i didn't get any.

LOL Sean,,,i just read my post. Sounded a bit arrogant saying i didn't get any off center hits...jeesh. Actually, I just grabbed a small bucket,,,warmed myself up with a hybrid for a balls...messed around with the S3 which I hope I can work myself back into, actually and then hit about 7 balls with the ML4. By the time i swung it i was feeling good. The first 5 I hit I swung about 80% and had the fade goin. It's a private club range that just put in a ton of brand new non restricted range balls for the season so the distances are pretty accurate.

LOL Sean,,,i just read my post. Sounded a bit arrogant saying i didn't get any off center hits...jeesh. Actually, I just grabbed a small bucket,,,warmed myself up with a hybrid for a balls...messed around with the S3 which I hope I can work myself back into, actually and then hit about 7 balls with the ML4. By the time i swung it i was feeling good. The first 5 I hit I swung about 80% and had the fade goin. It's a private club range that just put in a ton of brand new non restricted range balls for the season so the distances are pretty accurate.
That's great Rob. When our grass range opens for the season they retire the "range" balls and bring out the good balls to hit. It makes a big difference. By the way...good luck with the S3. :)

So the Accuflex Venom never came in but I got a Prolaunch Red installed in my 10.5 head and it did the trick! Don;t have any official numbers on it yet, but my launch is way lower and my distance is way longer.

So the Accuflex Venom never came in but I got a Prolaunch Red installed in my 10.5 head and it did the trick! Don;t have any official numbers on it yet, but my launch is way lower and my distance is way longer.

It makes me happy to see this one pop back up. Also makes me twitchy about trying out new drivers like I am...anywho.

Glad you've found a solid combo for you, I'm a firm believer its still one of the most solid heads around if paired with the right shaft. I've got a new PL Red in the closet that I may just have to throw in one of my ML4's for grins.

Parts of me wonder if I'm crazy for trying to move on to different drivers...I might just be.

Parts of me wonder if I'm crazy for trying to move on to different drivers...I might just be.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not sick JMAN. I too am always on the spy for better. The chase is always better than the catch.

I am not certain but I heard that Nicklaus golf is still alive in the European market and that they plan to have a new product release. I know nothing else about timelines.

Anyway-I have recently fallen for the Tour Exotics line and am eying their Extreme Forged CE irons but will hold onto the Nicklaus ML4 for the time being.

I am pretty sure the nine degree ML4 head is very tough to find at this point. This is one head I probably won't sell, but maybe give it a rest when the next best comes along.

I cut the ML4 down to 44" and it's going in play tomorrow.

here's the latest. Was at range,,,friend who is a PGA teaching pro wanted to try it. He toned down his swing to fit a regular shaft and said the head was definitely a hot head. He blasted the ball. Then he pulled a regular callaway razr fit from the rack and told me to compare. I saw no real difference when I hit it. When he hit it, the ball went significantly farther then the swings he took with the ML4. He said the Callaway is a better club. I rationalized that since I saw no real difference for me and my lousy swing that i would stay with the ML4. Although I am happy with the distance, I am going to get it reshafted with a shorter shaft. I would like suggestions. I hit it only about 250 after carry and roll but lose distance/gain accuracy when i choke down on it. I hate to choke down on shafts. I am more of a hitter than a swinger,,,,slow backswing,,,fast tempo down with flatter plane and I turn hands over through impact. the head nine degrees and I prefer a lower ball flight to deal with the elevated windy new england courses I play.

I am selling the driver. After much deliberation, I have decided to completely revamp my entire bag and will not play the driver as part of my 14 clubs which are now to be 3,5,3H,4H,5H,6H,7H,8H,9H,PH,GH,SH,LH and Putter. Anyone interested can PM me-especially if you have been looking for a nine degree head in the ML4. When I get it together and take pics, I will be putting not only the driver, but irons and a few other things in the forum here which allows us to sell things.

hey robcog, I don't know if you still have the 9 degree ML4, but I'm definitely very interested in buying it off of your hands. So please let me know if you have it and or still want to sell it. Thanks buddy!

I can attest to this, as Josh_Ross so kindly let me hit his ML4 10.5 degree with ProLaunch Red shaft...All I can say is Holy Cow!!! This is by far one of the best drivers I have ever hit! You literally have to try to hit this club off-line haha. Now I tend to hit the ball higher and my swing speed is around 110 mph, so the launch isn't quite optimal for me, but I could literally hit 100 drives in a row with this club right down the middle and only sacrifice 10-15 yards.

I loved this club so much, that I bought the 10.5 degree from Rock bottom with the intentions of putting a Pro-Launch red shaft in it. However, I am more interested in finding a 9 degree. So If anyone has a 9 degree ML4 please let me know. I can buy it from you or bargain (as my 10.5 degree ML4 is still in the plastic; I can send pictures if interested). Thanks

Cleaning out the old house and guess what I found?

You want some EARLY EARLY writing from me, here you go (I cringe at some of it).

Im thinking maybe this one deserves a throwback with a modern shaft sometime as well....

You want some EARLY EARLY writing from me, here you go (I cringe at some of it).

Im thinking maybe this one deserves a throwback with a modern shaft sometime as well....

Going to have a complete retro-mod bag soon! Love it!

I was wondering how this one got bumped up.

Hi, former forum tester here.
I say yes with the reshaft, then its be fun to compare the reviews. See how far the club have come. And how far you have come.

Hi, former forum tester here.

based off of this review I bought one for my BIL and it’s still in his bag.

based off of this review I bought one for my BIL and it’s still in his bag.
That’s so freaking awesome.

Back