Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Been away over the weekend so just caught up with this, nice to see the parcels arriving!

So a question for the the chaps with the club.....does the head shape at address of the 7 iron look slightly out of place to you? Just doesnt quite flow with the 8 iron before and the 6 after?

I know I'm not supposed to come and say this but.....I can't wait for these irons to show up!! I have a plan of attack to start this review and I can't wait to get it started. I said I was not going to read the thread until I got to hit my irons first but god I'm so tempted!!

ha, I understand completely! I'm exactly the same. My irons have apparently been processed through sorting in Miami and may well be on the way over right now. Reading all these updates gives us some good experience to compare to though.

I can't believe there isn't much activity on this thread! I will update tomorrow about my 9 holes today.

Hoping CL and myself can contribute a little more shortly! With the initial reports, I'm very interested to see how I fare with the 3 and 4 irons, as I'm quite used to hitting my current ones, and I wonder if I'll find it a little easier than you guys, or if I'll see the same transitional period.

What were your previous irons, Paulo?

EDIT: Sorry, though the wilsons were wedges....

I expect you to mash every club straight off considering what you have been using!

Played 22 holes yesterday (twilight) and am starting to figure these irons out as far as distances are concerned. Yesterday these were about a whole club longer than my previous set (which has very similar lofts). I am still getting used to, and having a little trouble with, the 3 and 4 irons. I hit a few good shots with both clubs, but hit some ugly ones as well, missing left and right. The 5, 6, and 7 were great all round, and the 8, 9 and PW were exceptional. On one of the par 5's I faded my second shot with the 3I into red stakes, took a drop and stuffed a PW to 3 feet, made the putt to save par. All in all, I am loving these irons so far.

I'm at the range now and hoping to play at least 9 today. I will update this evening or tomorrow morning because it's the 4th.

I like your updated JC. The one reoccurring theme in your posts is the struggles with the 3 & 4 irons. Did you utilize those irons much in your previous set of irons? I see in your signature that you didn't even have a 3 iron previously. I wouldn't feel like it's something you have to use during your round just b/c it came with the set. 3irons just aren't easy to hit.

I do have a question for the other tester's (and yourself). Based on some early successes with these irons (whether it be on course or just loving the looks of these irons), has anyone's opinions about Nike Golf changed and does anyone find themselves pondering other Nike products just so their bags seem more uniform?

What were your previous irons, Paulo?

EDIT: Sorry, though the wilsons were wedges....

I expect you to mash every club straight off considering what you have been using!

haha, we'll see about that! I am hoping for a tad more forgiveness though.

I do have a question for the other tester's (and yourself). Based on some early successes with these irons (whether it be on course or just loving the looks of these irons), has anyone's opinions about Nike Golf changed and does anyone find themselves pondering other Nike products just so their bags seem more uniform?

VERY good question dude. I will refrain from answering this until I've actually played with the irons, but I'd really like to hear the others on this one.

does anyone find themselves pondering other Nike products just so their bags seem more uniform?

I very much like having a uniform or matching bag. My experience so far will def have me looking a bit closer at the Nike wedges and perhaps the hybrids just because I really like hybrids. I have hit a few of their drivers and never really found one I like. My current driver is a 3 year old Mizuno and though I do like it, I want a new one. I will perhaps take another look at Nike, but keeping a bag uniform is not my priority.

I very much like having a uniform or matching bag. My experience so far will def have me looking a bit closer at the Nike wedges and perhaps the hybrids just because I really like hybrids. I have hit a few of their drivers and never really found one I like. My current driver is a 3 year old Mizuno and though I do like it, I want a new one. I will perhaps take another look at Nike, but keeping a bag uniform is not my priority.

Thanks for the reply buddy. I hear ya. When I find some success out of something due to some THP testing I find myself on that companies website a lot or researching a lot of their other gear. I've heard great things about Nike's newest fairway woods :) and wedges :)

Keep up the good work brother!

Thanks for the reply buddy. I hear ya. When I find some success out of something due to some THP testing I find myself on that companies website a lot or researching a lot of their other gear. I've heard great things about Nike's newest fairway woods :) and wedges :)

Keep up the good work brother!

From someone new here that doesn't play nike gear, this thread has had me looking at their website quite a bit in the last week, the offerings are much more attractive to me now and I think I would put some Nike gear in my bag. I'm at least going to try some..

Hmm Nike wedges. May have to ponder

Pretty sure I'll be pondering the wedges too. But, since this is about the irons, I'm looking for them to open my eyes to Nike equipment, I want them to prove to me that Nike is a serious contender with equipment that really performs for me. I've never owned a Nike golf club. I've tried a few, but this is the first year I've really sat up and took notice of their new line, even before this testing came about.

I have tried some Nike equipment in the past and have always been impressed. I have always liked the feel/sound off of their iron lines. I have good thoughts for today and me jumping into this testing. Of course I need to get my AC fixed first

Most definitely! I am already extremely glad I purchased the 52 & 56 degree wedges - they are SUPER easy to hit and react very well on the green; I am very impressed with them so far (the ones with the X groove patterns). I am already pondering down the road if the long irons and I do not get along I definitely want to try the Nike hybrid. I have to get a new bag today so I will be paying closer attention to Nike than I might have otherwise.

Haha Mcook has jumped fully into the Nike pool! Good stuff man

I hit these at an iron fitting session at GolfTEC in Knoxville and I was impressed with there consistency in feel and distance. I've enjoyed reading all of the comments and look forward to reading the end results of the testing.
I would consider these irons as replacements for mine this coming fall, so let us hear your results. Thanks!!

I like your updated JC. The one reoccurring theme in your posts is the struggles with the 3 & 4 irons. Did you utilize those irons much in your previous set of irons? I see in your signature that you didn't even have a 3 iron previously. I wouldn't feel like it's something you have to use during your round just b/c it came with the set. 3irons just aren't easy to hit.

I had the CCI forged 5-PW that I used for about 2 of the 4 years I've been golfing, so I already liked Nike gear. I have no desire to match the rest of my clubs to my irons though. If something performs better for me than what I currently have I'll try to find a way to get it in my bag regardless of brand.

For the posts that asked about having a favorite club, I only have one round and no range time in with these, but I love the PW. One area I was excited about going back to players irons was for chipping around the green and I was excited for a reason. It's much easier to control distance and predict the reaction of the ball on the green with these compared to GIs for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does the head shape at address of the 7 iron look slightly out of place to you? Just doesnt quite flow with the 8 iron before and the 6 after?

I am glad you brought this back up. I remembered you asking about that before. I did not at first see what you were talking about but I now think I have it figured out. The 6i and 7i have the same number of grooves(16) but the top groove on the 6i is much shorter than the seven. The 8i has an additional groove(17) and the top groove is just a shade longer. I do believe that it is causing your brain to see the heads differently when you focus on the head. As I said, I did not notice at first, but after a closer inspection (pictures) I do see it.
100_1607.jpg

Interesting observation Beowulf as I had not noticed that. Will look a bit closer during my range session this afternoon.

Sent from my Tapatalk!

Top man Beowulf. I must say although i had obviously noticed something different, i hadnt looked at things as close as you have.

The grooves must be it, in a previous post i said it was soemthing near the toe....and wadda you know...it is!

Are all golf clubs like this or do most have the same number/length of grooves.

EDIT: THinking about it, shouldnt the 6i look out of place not the 7i to my eye with the small groove at the top? All very confusing :blob:

Hopefully others can line up the 8, 7 and 6 iron and see it (if there is anything to see) for themselves....interesting none the less.

Is this because you haven't had a 3i in the bag or are they just more difficult to hit well?

I had a 3i in my bag before the TM TPs, when I had Ping i10s. I hit it pretty well and was pretty consistent with it. With the VR 3i I can't seem to get a consistent shot shape. I have hit a draw, a fade, a pull, and straight as well. I am going to keep working on it because when you hit it well it flies. I might just be trying too hard.

Thanks.

Sorry, can't multi-quote on my phone. See above post about previous 3i, and the same goes for my 4i.

I know I don't HAVE to use them, but I really want to! They are so nice looking, feel great, and go a ton when hit well. If I can figure them out, I will have a couple great weapons in my bag for: 2nd shots into par 5s, short par 4s, long par 3s, punch outs, etc.

As for you second question, yes, my opinions about Nike Golf have changed. I have always loved their apparel, and their bags (see signature), but was never fond of their golf equipment. Now that I enjoy these irons so much, I am definitely going to keep a closer eye on their future product lines. I will definitely check out Nike if I need a new piece of equipment.

I am glad you brought this back up. I remembered you asking about that before. I did not at first see what you were talking about but I now think I have it figured out. The 6i and 7i have the same number of grooves(16) but the top groove on the 6i is much shorter than the seven. The 8i has an additional groove(17) and the top groove is just a shade longer. I do believe that it is causing your brain to see the heads differently when you focus on the head. As I said, I did not notice at first, but after a closer inspection (pictures) I do see it.
100_1607.jpg

I took a look at my set......biggest difference I see is the topline of 8 iron is thinner and has less offset.....not a deal breaker

I just played 14 holes before the rain started to come in. I was really hoping to go to the range right after my 18 too. As to the question of noticing a difference in transition, I don't notice or even think about the fact they are a combo set until I actually look at the clubheads when I'm putting one back in the bag or waiting around on a tee box with a club in my hand. I only have two rounds in with these and no range sessions, but when you strike a ball properly these seem very muted to me. It's hard to put into words without a range session to really figure them out, but there just seems to be no feel/sound when struck properly. I've caught some of the 8-PWs a bit off the toe and was surprised that they don't lose much distance. I also really like the 4 iron. Having never hit one before I find it much easier to hit than I thought it would be. Hopefully it doesn't rain to much today or tonight and I'll be able to get to the range tomorrow and really figure them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fedex has my box. Apparently the dude has been leaving the notes on my neighbors door. Today he left it at mine. I will be going at 6PM to pick up the package. Not sure how I will be filming an unboxing video as I really want to hit these tonight. Maybe do a faux unboxing tomorrow at work with Yorkems flip. I am pumped!!

Fedex has my box. Apparently the dude has been leaving the notes on my neighbors door. Today he left it at mine. I will be going at 6PM to pick up the package. Not sure how I will be filming an unboxing video as I really want to hit these tonight. Maybe do a faux unboxing tomorrow at work with Yorkems flip. I am pumped!!

Or just a fun video with you at hte range...
If you put the camera on the ground, you will look like a giant.

Looking forward to your feedback on these, as the shafts are an interesting combination that I am very curious about. The more I read about these (stare), I want them.

Or just a fun video with you at hte range...
If you put the camera on the ground, you will look like a giant.

Looking forward to your feedback on these, as the shafts are an interesting combination that I am very curious about. The more I read about these (stare), I want them.

LOL could be the only time in my life that I look like a giant. Maybe I will just take the box to the range and unbox it on the grass or something. Hopefully not too many people around as I don't want everyone thinking I'm a lunatic. Just put some Mumford and Sons on to get me pumped up. I am excited. Guess it's time to remove my beloved "other" irons so I can officially join the testing. Thank you THP & Nike!!!

Back