Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Could you buy 4-pw and the matching 50 for the same price as 3-pw?

Don't think i have seen a 3-PW set on the shelves in the UK. Mine were a 4-PW set and then I bought the 52 and 56 VR Pro Wedges.

the 4-PW retail for around £529 with the wedges around £89 each

Second video is up and this one is far worse. But this gives a nice example of what can happen when a person is off. GG had a cool post from someone on here who wanted to see a post a certain way and I liked the format so here it goes

Test Date: 8/30/11
Clubs Tested: Nike Pro Combos Pocket Cavity 3 & 4 iron with Project X graphite shaft 5.0 flex
My clubs: I am playing these clubs
Ball used: Range balls which ranged from good to very poor
Environment: Perfect. No breeze and nice temperature of 75*
Testing goal: Testing the flight characteristics of the Pocket Cavities

CL: I like that format as well regarding the standard information that we put in there before going into a write-up; I need to incorporate that going forward. Can you get us some video from the front (mirror to you) angle? Perhaps throw it up in the Ask the Pro section and see what they have to say. I know you were in a good groove prior to the last few weeks so it could just be lack of swing time and rhythm. I believe you eluded to the fact that it was very important to your game to have those.

CL: I like that format as well regarding the standard information that we put in there before going into a write-up; I need to incorporate that going forward. Can you get us some video from the front (mirror to you) angle? Perhaps throw it up in the Ask the Pro section and see what they have to say. I know you were in a good groove prior to the last few weeks so it could just be lack of swing time and rhythm. I believe you eluded to the fact that it was very important to your game to have those.

I plan on doing some more video this weekend. Maybe Friday as well as I think Jefrazie, Yorkem, and I are all going to the range so maybe can all get some good stuff up. I thought that was a great suggestion and I can't believe I had not thought of it lol. I pretty much know what the pro is going to say. I go over the top and I come way too far inside on my takeaway. My swing definitely relies on rhythm so hopefully the next few videos will be better. Otherwise I'll never be picked again with that awfulness!! Lets keep this up fellas. I'm loving how active this thread was today!!

Thanks for putting the video up man. Love the format too that you put before. Do you think there is still enough forgiveness that even if youre having an off day like you were you could still save a decent score? i know short game would help but would those shots have been that far off that it wouldve killed it for you? Really not trying to ask a question thats been asked before.

Well, my plan tonight at the range was to attempt to get the sounds at impact of the different portions of this set so I chose the 9i, 6i, and 4i. After doing the video I am not even sure if I can tell a difference (perhaps it is from that loud music from the last 20 years).

Here is the video anyhow.....curious if anyone else could tell a difference or not.

Thanks for putting the video up man. Love the format too that you put before. Do you think there is still enough forgiveness that even if youre having an off day like you were you could still save a decent score? i know short game would help but would those shots have been that far off that it wouldve killed it for you? Really not trying to ask a question thats been asked before.

I think that if I'm that far off I will be punished with these clubs if I'm being honest. It would also depend on the course that I am playing. Most of my shots last night were pushed right and about 20 yards right of my target. If the course were tight I would be dead. Also it depends on how long the course is. If I'm playing a 6200 yard course I probably won't be hitting anything more than 5/6I into greens most of the time. I am super confident with the 7-PW in this set. Confident enough that I get angry at myself with anything outside of 20 feet to the pin. The scoring irons are unreal. I hate to sound like a broken record but I have so far been blown away with them.

Well, my plan tonight at the range was to attempt to get the sounds at impact of the different portions of this set so I chose the 9i, 6i, and 4i. After doing the video I am not even sure if I can tell a difference (perhaps it is from that loud music from the last 20 years).

Here is the video anyhow.....curious if anyone else could tell a difference or not.

I freaking love your videos! I couldn't tell a ton of difference in the sound between them but still, killer video.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

That is pretty interesting and I feel like I can tell a difference. It almost seems like it gets less of a heavy sound as you go down the set. I dont know how to describe what I mean. 9I sounded pretty meaty. 6I sounded a little less. 4I I almost got a bit of a ting to it. Could be in my head though. Nice video dude:cool:

phenominal!!! That sound is nice and crisp. Love the closeups Cook!

Loving the videos guys.

CL, props for putting up a rough session. For me, this is just as useful, if not more so, than a good session. These irons will be with us through rough and smooth, and anyone pondering them will have the same ups and downs....so how they perform during a temporary slump is probably more important than when you're shooting the lights out and any clubs would look fine!
I believe that sometimes you can practice too hard, and try too much with one particular club and that might be part of what you're seeing with the 3/4i at the moment. You want it to work so much that you get in your own way mentally. I certainly did this after the first week of testing and I put the pocket cavities away for a few days. When I took them to the range and put them on the Trackman, I was shocked at just how well they performed, and that was hitting off a tight lie.

Michael, that video is awesome! Great work. You know, I didn't really hear a big difference in sound, except for maybe a slightly higher pitched sound as you go from blade -> split -> pocket cav. Confuses me slightly, as I really thought that the pocket cavity had a very distinctive sound of it's own within this set. Just tapping the back of the head with your fingernail seems to give off a high, almost 'ringing' sort of sound.

Thanks for the props guys - glad to hear that you liked the video! I have an idea for another one on a subject that we have touched on a few times during this testing....hoping to give it a go tonight at the range and give all those following this thread a visual on something that we have each seemed to bring up and agree on.

Nice videos guys.

Mcook - I couldn't really hear much difference is sound by your video but I would swear the pocket cavities sound different in real life. Anyone agree? Looked like you were striking the ball well, but didn't seem to take much of a divot. Not that that is a bad thing, just something I noticed.

CL - it takes a real man to post videos of an "off day". We all have them. Keep your head up and keep up the hard work. Those clubs look great with the PX shafts in them.

I am piecing together a writeup now and should have it ready before I go to work at 11. If not, it will for sure be up tonight.

They don't do a 50 in this set Jay (51 if we're matching 4 degree gaps). 3-PW is standard and you can custom order a 2 iron. You might be able to get a store to go in on giving you a wedge with the rest of the set instead of another iron though.

Edit: Ninja'd. :turtle:
Thanks guys. I meant to say the vr wedge since they look so similar. These irons are gorgeous and making it tough to decide what I'm gonna start playing in the next month

Thanks guys. I meant to say the vr wedge since they look so similar. These irons are gorgeous and making it tough to decide what I'm gonna start playing in the next month

I went from Titleist 735cm's to these and couldn't be happier

Mcook - I couldn't really hear much difference is sound by your video but I would swear the pocket cavities sound different in real life. Anyone agree? Looked like you were striking the ball well, but didn't seem to take much of a divot. Not that that is a bad thing, just something I noticed.

I would agree that I think there is a definitely a difference in sound between the pockets and blades but the video just did not pick it up well at all. I was striking the ball great last night (wrote up a review of the range session a few posts before I put the video up) but I do not take a divot much. I am definitely a sweeper of the ball except for sometimes on a 9i or PW I will create a nice little divot but definitely not slanging turf all over the place like the pro's. :D

I would agree that I think there is a definitely a difference in sound between the pockets and blades but the video just did not pick it up well at all. I was striking the ball great last night (wrote up a review of the range session a few posts before I put the video up) but I do not take a divot much. I am definitely a sweeper of the ball except for sometimes on a 9i or PW I will create a nice little divot but definitely not slanging turf all over the place like the pro's. :D

I'm going to take a before/after pic of the poor grass on my next session. I destroy the sod

Anybody seen or heard from Fairway2Green?
Some PMs sent. Not much on this thread outside of a couple of short posts in the last several weeks.
Anybody?

I have not JB

I have not seen him around either. I hope everything is ok. Come on back F2G.

No JB - nothing here either.

Hopefully its not one of those situations

MattyCaulk Approved!

I'm going to take a before/after pic of the poor grass on my next session. I destroy the sod

I do the same but it's nothing out of the ordinary for me... If anything I would argue that these irons are LESS inclined to eat turf than many of the irons I am used to using...

That said, most of the irons I try out are game enhancement so that may be a factor as well...

One thing I am curious about from my fellow testers.. How easy is it for you to put a fade on the ball? I did make some pretty healthy swing changes at the start of the year to reduce my fade, but with these irons I am either dead straight or some form of a draw (both large an small)...

I'm going to see if I can put a regular fade on these but I really don't see it happening.. Not really sure what would cause that..

I really like these irons, and the reviews.. thanks guys, maybe this will be my next set

MattyCaulk Approved!

Back