Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Great shot Jeff, cant believe that didnt hop at least once, must of been a high trajectory. Ive been enjoying the reviews everybody, you all are doing a great job

Managed a range session with BrianG tonight. Unluckily for him, it coincided with some of my worst ball striking you'll see! We managed to get some clubs on the Trackman and had some fun, I'll be sifting through the data to post some more comparisons! I'll maybe let Brian fill you in on the session itself! :D

Test Date: 09/07/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo 6 & 9 irons with PX steel shaft 5.0 flex
Testing Purpose: Trying to gauge the difference in height and penetration of a standard shot versus a knock down (preparing for into wind shots)
My Club: I am using the testing clubs but my prior set was the Cobra S9's
Ball Used: Range balls in average condition
Environment: Texas - 89 degrees, sunny, north wind at back 10-15 MPH

Hey THP - just got back from another range session. I had 2 goals in mind for tonight:

1) Test my ability to hit knock down shots since the winds are finally starting to pick up around here
2) Fix my issue of hitting my irons off the toe so much

WIND TEST - knock down shots

Goal 1 was to test my ability to hit knock down shots in preparation for the crazy TX winds that we typically have over the winter. Everything from ball position and stance stayed the same. Only thing I changed was using an abbreviated follow through.

The results were very positive. Being a high ball hitter, this can be critical to my success when the winds pick up. I tested this by hitting a standard shot followed by a knock down shot and attempting to gauge the difference.

I saw about the same result in the 9 iron and 6 iron which was about a 30% decrease in ball height at maximum height with a nice penetrating flight that did not balloon on me.

With the 4 iron, I saw closer to a 50% decrease in ball height at maximum height with a very penetrating flight that only got about 15 feet off of the ground and just seemed to carry for awhile.

It was hard to gauge on the range but I would estimate that using the knock down shot versus a full shot is losing approximately 10% on total carry. Naturally when hitting into the wind we go to a stronger club anyways to negate the loss in carry and the wind affect.

Here is a little video showing the different swings I was trying to properly test this:

TOE TEST - avoiding the toe and getting the sweet spot

I made one simple change and that was standing slightly closer to the ball. I still hit a few fat from getting to aggressive and not staying in a good tempo but the results were pretty positive. I will not know a ton more until I see if I can implement it on the course and get rid of the toe shots that get pulled left. Here are the club faces after each session. As you can tell, most of the contact is off of the toe so this is a good sign for me. Luckily, I have a 4 day weekend coming up and have plans to play all 4 days so on course review of this change will be in abundance!! :clapp:

9 iron
DSC_9995.jpg

6 iron
DSC_9996.jpg

4 iron
DSC_9999.jpg

Got questions? Fire away!!

Nice update Cookie. I was able to get out for an hour today. Not enough time to really get into it but I just got comfortable again with the Splits.
Post my thoughts in a little bit

Just got back in from a quick 18 after work and thought I would give a little report. This had to be one of the windiest days I have played since I got back into golf a few months ago. The country club I belong to is only a 9 hole course and today both par 3's were playing directly into the wind. I tried playing knock down shots on each one, but it didn't work. On the "back" 9 - from the blues - the second par 3 was playing 220 yards. Normally a 3 iron will get me to the middle of the green, but today the wind just killed the ball and if fell 10yds short of the green. I don't know what it is about the pocket cavities, but I just can't seem to hit them low off the tee. I even hit some balls after my round on the range and nothing worked for me. I moved the ball back in my stance, cut my follow through short - nothing worked. I don't know what I need to do.

I won't complain too much though. I broke 80 for the first time ever today, but just barely (79). I have been shooting in the low to mid 80's since I got the Nike's, but I always seem to have a hole or two that just seem to kill a round. Today was different, I shot 37 the first time around from the white's. I missed a 18" par putt on #8 that cost me shooting even par for the front 9. The back 9 was from the blues and could have been better if I hadn't gotten in a hurry on a couple holes. Twice on the back 9 the group ahead let me play through and being one of the new guys at the CC I always get in a hurry to get out of the other members way. I know I should take a few extra seconds on the shots, but I just feel pressured to get moving.

Back to the clubs....once again the blades were just awesome. I still can't believe how easy they are to hit. I don't normally spin the ball too much, but several of my shots today backed up a foot or two. And that's with the new Srixon Q-Star that doesn't spin as much as a tour ball.

Our course pretty short, and both par 5's are normally reachable for me with a 3 or 4 iron on my second shot if I hit a decent drive, so I don't have too many shots with the Split Cavities to report on. I did hit 7 iron off the tee on one of the par 3's into the wind. It was playing 147 into the wind which is normally a full 9i for me, but today I chocked down on the 7i and still came up about 12' short. The ball did back up a couple feet which I really couldn't believe, but it did.

I hit several shots from the fairway and rough with the Pocket Cavities. One of the shots from the fairway was a fat 3i that I still got about 170yds out of. It was the second shot on a par 5, so I was still in the fairway and able to make par. Should have been a birdie, but I had my only three put of the day. The couple shots that I hit from the rough with them both got up quickly and carried just about the distance I was shooting for. I finally hit a hybrid for the first time the other day, but I wasn't impressed enough to take the splits out of the bag. I really like the way they are getting through the rough, and if I don't hit them fat they are really working good for me.

That's about it.....I really want to get back out and play again soon, but my wife is a photographer and has photo shoots scheduled for the next 5-6 days, so my golf will be on hold so I can stay home with the kids. My daughter is 8 and loves going out with me, but taking a 1 year old probably won't work.

Dway - thanks for your feedback and congrats on breaking 80!! That is awesome buddy! Those pocket cavities can be a bear to tame....still working on those myself.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I did notice the wear close to the heel which started me thinking that they may be a little upright for you or the shaft is too soft. This is just my mind working on what I've seen over the years. I also was thinking back to your video and noticed that your misses are right. The wear on face shows me that you have been hitting a lot of balls and I was just wondering.

When I was told that I was selected I went to Golf Galaxy and had a basic shaft fitting which told me I should game either KBS Tours or the PX Graphite both in Regular flex. I had been fit a long time ago in terms of shaft length and loft/lie numbers. Nike did a fantastic job in getting my clubs built to my specs. The clubs have performed a bit above my expectations to be honest. I was expecting to struggle a little more than I have. Are you saying maybe something is off due to me hitting it closer to the heel?

I did notice the wear close to the heel which started me thinking that they may be a little upright for you or the shaft is too soft. This is just my mind working on what I've seen over the years. I also was thinking back to your video and noticed that your misses are right. The wear on face shows me that you have been hitting a lot of balls and I was just wondering.

I am thinking along the same lines but mainly about the being too upright part. I think the shaft is a good fit. I am going to get that checked out. Thanks man!

I just wanted to say again how thankful I am for everyone who has come in and contributed to this thread. It seems we are a man down right now for whatever reason and everyone's contributions are noted. You guys have been awesome! Let's also remember the Facebook and Twitter aspect of this testing also.

Well, after waiting literally hours for my main video to upload, the Internet crashed (of course it was during a fantasy football draft). So, I will try again tomorrow. Not sure what the issue is, but I will be going somewhere else to upload the videos. I am assuming 124 mins until finished is not common. Sorry guys, they will be here soon.

Managed a range session with BrianG tonight. Unluckily for him, it coincided with some of my worst ball striking you'll see! We managed to get some clubs on the Trackman and had some fun, I'll be sifting through the data to post some more comparisons! I'll maybe let Brian fill you in on the session itself! :D

Was good to meet you last night Paul , range session was fun with some interesting numbers on the trackman. Will get some proper thoughts and a couple of pics up tonight after work. Stuffed my face with donuts and straight to bed last night. :d

Posted on the move...

Was good to meet you last night Paul , range session was fun with some interesting numbers on the trackman. Will get some proper thoughts and a couple of pics up tonight after work. Stuffed my face with donuts and straight to bed last night. :d

Cheers Brian, nice to meet you too. If only for the novelty of seeing you swinging something without 'Mizuno' stamped on it! :D

The stats were interesting to say the least. I won't mention anything about that short game clinic I put on near the end :wink: Looking forward to your thoughts, even if you didn't save me a donut.

I also want to echo Chunky's thanks for the guys who are jumping in here and helping us out immensely. I love getting as many thoughts as possible into this, as it really helps us testers come up with new things to focus on and think about as we're going. Great job guys.

Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo 6 & 9 irons with PX steel shaft 5.0 flex
Testing Purpose: Trying to gauge the difference in height and penetration of a standard shot versus a knock down (preparing for into wind shots)
Ball Used: Range balls in average condition
Environment: Texas - 89 degrees, sunny, north wind at back 10-15 MPH

Hey THP - just got back from another range session. I had 2 goals in mind for tonight:

1) Test my ability to hit knock down shots since the winds are finally starting to pick up around here
2) Fix my issue of hitting my irons off the toe so much

Excellent update Cookie. Always enjoy watching your videos.

From the face pics there, looks like you might be on to something with regard to the toe shots. Hope it translates to the course.
Do you think this change you've implemented is because of these irons in particular? Or are they just showing up the toe shots more than your previous irons?

Excellent update Cookie. Always enjoy watching your videos.

From the face pics there, looks like you might be on to something with regard to the toe shots. Hope it translates to the course.
Do you think this change you've implemented is because of these irons in particular? Or are they just showing up the toe shots more than your previous irons?

Thanks Paulo! I think I am noticing it more with these because of the improved feedback from these irons versus the SGI's I was playing before. Not only can I feel it better, I can also tell by the sound and also by the result of the shot.

While these do not have as much forgiveness as SGI's I feel the improved feedback is helping me to become a better ball striker. While my scores may have risen due to this transition, I believe it is worth it in the long run to hit the ball more precisely.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo 6 iron - DG SL S300 shaft, Mizuno MP 59 6 iron - KBS Tour stiff shaft, Mizuno JPX Pro 6 iron - KBS Tour stiff shaft.
Testing Purpose: Putting 3 6 irons against each other to compare stats, and strike consistency.
My Club: The Nike VR Pro Combo 6 iron is my club out of this selection.
Ball Used: Range balls, decent condition.
Environment: Glasgow, about 50 degrees, with a wind into/across, gusting about 15mph.

So I met up with fellow THP'er Brian G at our local range last night. Great to meet another THP'er, and nice to be able to put the VR Pro Combos up against some other irons, as well as get the VR Pro Combos in another set of hands for more testing!

The weather wasn't great, we had a bit of a cross wind and slightly against us, the rain was pouring down. Brian had managed to snag a brand new Mizuno MP59 6 iron out of the shop! These irons look nice, and they're definitely shiny!

I will add that I was swinging like a man who had never picked up a club - it had been a long day at work! (excuses, excuses!) I actually hit about 6 hosel rockets in a row at the start, very unlike me. Not to worry, the test would still go ahead!

So, Brian kindly let me borrow his JPX Pro 6 iron (with the nice KBS Tour shaft) to put up against the Nike VR Pro Combo, and the MP59 (also with the KBS Tour shaft). After a good period of warm up, I hit a few with each. Would you like to see the stats? Don't answer that, here they are!

I hit the VR Pro Combo split cavity 6 iron first off -
VR6iron070911.jpg

Then the MP59 6 iron -
MP596iron070911.jpg

And last but not least, the JPX Pro 6 iron -
JPXPro6iron070911.jpg

My Trackman averages are as follows -
compareVRMPJPX.jpg

Thoughts and Results

VR Pro Combos -
These do feel nice. Boy, do I launch them high compared to my previous irons. Must be down to the SL shafts, surely? I like the spin rate on these too, even if I'm still hitting them a little out of the heel. Which I also find strange, as I'm not hitting any of the pockets or blades too far out of the heel. I take note of this for later testing.
Dispersion on the Nikes feels and looks quite good. I'm happy with how these feel.

MP59 -
Still launching quite high for me, but not too high at all. Spin is way down though, don't like that bit. There's no difference in carry to speak of between these and the VR Pro Combos, but the increased spin of the Nike iron would win me over every time. Dispersion was a little worse with these too. Thought they felt just ok, a little underwhelmed to be honest.

JPX Pro -
Ball speed! Ok, these are ever so slightly stronger lofted than the other 2, but only by 1 degree if I remember correctly. Launching them quite a bit lower than the VR Pro Combos, and also not getting the spin numbers up. Getting a decent carry increase, but also seeing a big roll out due to less spin. These felt rather nice to me, but the dispersion numbers don't look great.

Subjective thoughts

The VR Pro Combos still felt nice. I liked them over the mp59s for sure. The JPX Pros with the KBS shafts are a sweet combo, and I could game these without a second thought. The thing we both noticed (or Brian noticed right away) was just how small the VR Pro Combos look next to the opposition. They make the JPX Pros look almost chunky when sat next to them (I think Brian has some comparison pics, which will be interesting to see). I can tell you that the Mizunos don't feel chunky though.
I don't have a problem with the compact head, but I could see how some might feel a bit apprehensive when picking these up for the first time.

Shafts - without a doubt, the SLs really are helping these irons work for me. I'm hitting them higher than I've ever hit irons, without distance loss, and spinning them more (how much of this is down to the shaft, and how much the grooves?). I know Brian has some interesting stats on spin rates from his Trackman data, which only made me more sure that the Pro Combos performed best all-round for me.

I'd love for you guys to take a look at my stats and tell me what you think, or fire any questions you may have.

I wanted to answer a few of your questions. The distance loss wasn't huge (5 yards) so I didn't mean to make it seem like a big deal because it wasn't and it wouldn't be a reason for me not to game these. They are really nice irons, I was just so surprised by how small they were. I grabbed the 6 and 8 intentionally because I knew they would be the more difficult ones to hit and I compared them straight across to my 6 and 8 iron. I hit both the 6 and 8 fine, but just not as much forgiveness as I normally see from my MCs. Now to be fair, my MCs are fit for my swing and I don't know the specs on Jeffs clubs. But it did seem that these would beat you up if your swing was off that day.

Awesome follow up, thanks Teeth!!

I think your assessment is entirely fair, but I do think the VR Pro Combos offer more of a players feel than the MCs do. Not unlike moving into the MBs in the TaylorMade lineup. I love that you noticed the topline because I think that is a HUGELY relevant feature to these irons. The fact that they provided three different club types with noticeably different feedback, yet managed to retain a similar topline throughout the set may be my favourite part about them.

Sleek, slender, and ready to roll!

heres some pictures to set the scene, apologies they are phone cam pics not the best quality.
IMAG0670.jpg

IMAG0673.jpg

IMAG0672.jpg

IMAG0671.jpg

IMAG0669.jpg

IMAG0675.jpg

IMAG0674.jpg

and my partner in crime ...
IMAG0676.jpg

IMAG0679.jpg

on to my numbers and thoughts
All averages -
club 1 - jpx pro
club 2 - vr pro
club 3 - mp59
BrianAll6irons.jpg

interesting stat here is that the vr launched higher but didnt go as high..could be down the the average but seemed strange.
we also need to take into account the KBS shaft is what is fitted to me and this was in 2 of the 3 clubs.

Trackman Comparison -
BrianCompare.jpg

jpx pro coming out on top in 3 of 4 categories, but where the vr seemed to excel for me was dispersion. it was pretty tight with all clubs i tried. over the course of the session i hit lots of 6 and PW, and also hit a few 3 and 4.

some more trackman stats..
JPX Pro 6 iron -
BrianJPXpro.jpg

VR Pro Combo 6 iron -
BrianVRProCombo.jpg

MP59 6 iron -
BrianMP59.jpg

more thoughts:
after hitting the 6 iron comparisons paulo and i played a 9 hole game on trackman to the 114 yard target. we did this twice, once with the VR and once with the jpx.
i was really surprised at how consistent the yardage was with the VR as it felt a bit springy and i didnt feel like i was controlling the distance, the club seemed to do it itself. but all 9 i hit were in a nice neat line near the target.
with the jpx i had much more variance on distance but they seemed to feel like i was controlling the distance more as at 114 im not a full PW, and i was able to adjust to target. with the VR i was hitting pretty full shots.

the wind played a big part on the night, towards to the right and pretty blustery but i got a good feel for the wedge and 6 iron.

i was also keen to hit hte 3 and 4 iron after the feedback in this thread. for me, they felt pretty different, and i can see why people are undecided about them. sound plays a big part and they sound like different clubs to me. performance wise i hit some pretty nice shots with them, again i didnt get a great feel for distance control but overall, launched high and straight.

splits were nice, got a better feel for these.

overall i was a bit intimidated by the size, even though i got the 59 to try which was comparable in size to the VR, they make the jpx pro look chunky. which in turn may have given me a bit of confidence to hit them when i swapped.
performance was good, nice flight, but quite a bit of distance lost compared to my jpx, and slightly longer than the mp59.
dispersion they excell, so accuracy on teh course is obviously a big advantage for the vrs.

just realised this post is super long so i will finish up. i wont be swapping my irons for the combos any time soon, but they were solid, performing clubs for me. i think with the KBS shaft in them they woudl have performed even better.

Great hard data from both Brian and Paulo; thanks for sharing! Brian - interesting feedback on the long irons and your overall experience. Neat to hear from someone that swings them for the first time and have not grooved into them as the testers have thus far.

Going to the range tonight. Knee feels fine after hitting a few last night. Concentrating on the splits tonight. Workability is in question. Lets see if Nike has the right answers! Awesome updates today everybody

Very frustrated. Shot a few more videos today and simply cannot get them uploaded with the Internet at home or at work. Not sure what the deal is, but I will try again tomorrow at my brother's house. Sorry for the delays folks.

Great updates Paulo and Brian. Thank you for all of the trackman info, hard numbers are nice to see. Thank you Brian (and others) for posting in here, I appreciate new views and thoughts on these clubs.

Excellent write up Brian, thanks for sharing. Even though there were pics of me in there! Horrible impact position! :D

Your stats with the VR Pro Combos were pretty good, especially the dispersion, but I don't think they were good enough to warrant a change considering how well you hit the JPX pros.

paulo and i played a 9 hole game on trackman to the 114 yard target. we did this twice, once with the VR and once with the jpx.
i was really surprised at how consistent the yardage was with the VR as it felt a bit springy and i didnt feel like i was controlling the distance, the club seemed to do it itself. but all 9 i hit were in a nice neat line near the target.
with the jpx i had much more variance on distance but they seemed to feel like i was controlling the distance more as at 114 im not a full PW, and i was able to adjust to target. with the VR i was hitting pretty full shots.

Oh that was a game? Thought it was a clinic. :wink:

I was impressed by the JPX pros here too, but the one thing that stood out was how wrong I've been about the distance control with the VR Pro Combos. I can do this! I hit the 3/4 pitching wedge very consistently, and it gives me food for thought.

Lastly, I'll probably be posted missing for today and tomorrow as I have 2 weddings to attend, but I'll be back on asap with more thoughts, and hope to get some video up this week.

Lots of great info Paulo and Brian, love getting the hard data side by side with different sets. Good work boys and sounds like you had a blast meeting up.

Excellent stuff Paulo and Brian. I also love seeing the LM data. Gives you the facts without the interference of our thoughts. I'm uploading video now but I have to go to work. Will get my post up later.

Excellent write up Brian, thanks for sharing. Even though there were pics of me in there! Horrible impact position! :D

Your stats with the VR Pro Combos were pretty good, especially the dispersion, but I don't think they were good enough to warrant a change considering how well you hit the JPX pros.

Oh that was a game? Thought it was a clinic. :wink:

I was impressed by the JPX pros here too, but the one thing that stood out was how wrong I've been about the distance control with the VR Pro Combos. I can do this! I hit the 3/4 pitching wedge very consistently, and it gives me food for thought.

Lastly, I'll probably be posted missing for today and tomorrow as I have 2 weddings to attend, but I'll be back on asap with more thoughts, and hope to get some video up this week.

haha, had to get some action shots in there. if visibility was better we may have seen some lovely shots low and right.. :D

but you did make up for it with your short game clinic ;). awesome final shot. under pressure..

the distance control thing i touched on, its not that they are not controllable in reality, they just didnt feel controllable to me..but results speak for themselves and consistently they hit the yardage. i just felt some hot off the face compared to others, yet yardage was consistent.

its probably just early feeling of a new user, and could be a combination of the shaft as well which is lighter (and a bit softer?) i am used to.

still great clubs, and I had lots of fun hitting them. need to organise a proper game Paulo, as soon as the hurricane passes next week..

my first write up, glad everyone liked it . thought i had a profile pic of the clubs together to show size comparison, will try and get one next time.

Test Date: 09/09/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons with PX steel shaft 5.0 flex
Testing Purpose: Full round played
Ball Used: Srixon AD-333 & Bridgestone E6
Environment: Texas - 89 degrees, sunny, north wind 10-15 MPH

Hey THP'ers! Just got home from a nice round of golf. Instead of doing a standard round write-up I wanted to do a brief overview and then let a few pics speak for themselves.

While it was not a great ball striking day for me it was solid and even a few shots that were fat or thin still had me within 10-15 yards of the green at the furthest. The biggest issue I had today was alignment on my split cavities and blades (driver also but that's another story). I have been pulling everything left so much that I overcompensated a bit on some shots and got them on the right side of the green. Good thing is that it is a fairly simple fix and every well struck iron was essentially pin high (short or past but within 5 yards). So next range session will have the alignment sticks out.

Only hit the pocket cavity once off the deck today (see result below) but did hit 4 iron 3 different times off the tee on shorter par 4's. I am glad to see that it performed great. Worst shot of the 3 was still in the fairway that I caught barely on the toe and only got about 170 out of it instead of the 185-190 that I saw on the other 2.

To the photos from the day. Tried to do it where I show where the shot was played from and then the end result.

Hole 1 - 140 out with an 8 iron and must go over these trees. Can barely see blue flag next to tree trunk in middle bottom half of photo.
IMG_0026.jpg

Ball flew dead over the pin and ended up just on the fringe:
IMG_0027.jpg

Hole 3 - par 3 - 152 yards - 7 iron. Beautiful well struck shot that started left of pin and stayed there the entire way.
IMG_0028.jpg

Roughly 22 feet or so left for birdie.
IMG_0029.jpg

You can see here that after landing the ball took one hop and then stopped with the 7 iron. About 4 feet away from the ball mark is the ball.
IMG_0030.jpg

Hole 6 - par 4 - pushed drive right into some trees. 165 left and just try to hit a low screaming 4 iron. Success! Here was my view to the green.
IMG_0032.jpg

And result from 4 iron punch. Left front of green within 20 feet of the pin.
IMG_0033.jpg

Hole 14 - par 3 - 163 yards - 6 iron. Struck this beautifully and had "hole in one" visions dancing in my head! The hole:
IMG_0034.jpg

The result:
IMG_0035.jpg

Hole 16 - par 3 - 147 yards - 8 iron. Another well struck iron but pushed it a hair to the right. The hole:
IMG_0036.jpg

The result:
IMG_0037.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not make any of those birdie putts. You may be able to tell that the greens were aerated in the past month. While they are still very quick they are quite bumpy - lipped out several birdie putts and one almost made a 180 degree turn at the hole it seemed!

Pleased with the day overall but not scoring as well as I want to but that is mainly because chipping within 20 yards is failing me right now.

I was thinking during the round if I would be better off with a GI iron since I do not always have clean consistent contact like some of the other testers. Of course, that thought was right before my shot of the day on hole 14 above. Struck well, these babies are effortless and feel so good...just make you want to keep on hitting them. But in hindsight, I see enough forgiveness outside of the pocket cavities that I still want to game them. Sorry for the rambling!!

Nice write up cookie. That must be one of the few green places in Texas.

Back