Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Does Nike offer a 2 Iron for this set?

F2G eats faces! Nice video and pictures. You too BW! I hope you guys enjoy those beauties.

If anyone could tell me how easy/hard it is to hit lower penetrating shots with the blades I would appreciate it. Like controlling trajectory...

I love reading this thread.. These clubs are awesome

Tap tap taparoo

If anyone could tell me how easy/hard it is to hit lower penetrating shots with the blades I would appreciate it. Like controlling trajectory...

You just want to know how easy or hard is it for me to hit lower penetrating shots with the 8-PW? Like a knockdown shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics/vids! And another awesome post from mcook! Can't wait to read thoughts from some of the other testers too. I know you're all dying to get out there and hit 'em!

How sweet are those guy's! Nice start on the reviews, pic's and video's. Very nice.

That is some sweet reviewing! When I hit these, the blades really impressed me. 5i split was crushing balls on the sim. I feel that this is the best looking iron set I have hit this year. Nike did a terrific job, these are awesome clubs!

Wow guys, some very nice reviews so far. I really like the idea of the combo set. I'm hoping to get my reviews started tomorrow with the 2.0s which I kind of see as one of these sets. With the different kick points in the shafts, the clubs all differ. I'm looking forward to the feedback being given, keep up the good work!

Nice updates guys!

Just got word that my clubs have hit THP HQ, and will shortly have their wings fitted for the long migration towards Euro Testing Central! :D

Nice updates guys!

Just got word that my clubs have hit THP HQ, and will shortly have their wings fitted for the long migration towards Euro Testing Central! :D

Better get my mask on to intercept them at the airport then - hehe

Glad to see some more testers getting there stix.

Are the split cavity back clubs more offset? or are they blade like in set up? does the feel change throughout the set? or is it uniform?

Great write up mcook77! You answered many of my questions about the combo set. Hope they work well on the course today!

Great pics all - didn't get to see them before today - Those are gorgeous!

Great write up so far guys. In a previous review one reviewer said that mis hits with the blades are losing a lot of distance. Are you losing accuracy as well as distance?

Excellent reviews. I really get a sense of these clubs from your descriptions of various shots. Thanks guys!

Are the split cavity back clubs more offset? or are they blade like in set up? does the feel change throughout the set? or is it uniform?

The offset is very minimal. It goes from .155" in the 3 iron to .060" in the PW.

Another rainy day and night here in Florida. The ranges are closed today. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get out to play 18 and have a range session, but it's all up to Mother Nature.

Hey everyone - just got home from my 1st round on the course with the new irons. It was a mixed day overall, some really good shots and some really poor shots. Before I go into further detail I will answer a question I saw answered earlier today about mishits and accuracy. ALL of my mishits are fat shots - I am losing significant distance but not any accuracy - they are going straight where I am aimed.

During and after today's round, I came to the conclusion that these clubs greatly reward well struck shots and heavy penalize poor struck shots. There is a reason that these are considered "players" irons.

MISSES: My mishits are all fat shots. I believe that due to the sharpness of the leading edge of the sole that is where I am losing forgiveness where I had it previously. As soon as the leading edge on the VR Pro Combo makes contact with the ground it is digging in where as my Cobra's with the slight roundness would skip across the ground a tad before completely digging into the ground. I have no doubt that in the end these will make me become a better ball striker and eventually a better player. Yes, I could play cavity back irons for the rest of my life but the rewards of well struck shots are simply too great to not get better at ball striking and learn how to hit these.

The only fat shots today that I dearly paid for were on a 530 yard 5. Water is approximately 20 yards short of green so it is a 3 shot hole for me. I hit M3 off the tee to the middle of the FW. I then just wanted to hit a nice 6 iron to about the 110 yard spot and I hit it fat. That left me with 185 yards into a slight breeze. I pulled out the 3 iron and tried to put a smooth stroke on it and hit it fat into the water. Ended up taking a triple bogey on the hole.

I had a few punch out shots today which limited the amount of full irons that I had into greens but that was a nice opportunity to use the 4 iron. I hit several really good punch outs from 90-130 that got onto the green within 15 feet so that was good to get a feel for.

WELL STRUCK SHOTS:

I had about 5 or 6 iron shots today where I just caught the ball flush - they were dead straight and tracking all the way. I am still seeing about an 8-10 yard loss on well struck iron shots which I am fine with due to the previously mentioned issue with the club lofts being weaker throughout the set.

On well struck shots, there is a great ball flight for me of fairly high without ballooning which allows for the ball to sit down very quickly (within 2 feet of landing spot on HARD greens).

Someone had also asked earlier about punch down shots with the blades. I used this technique twice today very successfully. One was with an iron from 127 yards and I stuck in pin high about 15 feet right. The other (shot of the day) was a PW from 99 yards that I choked down on. Picture below is the result and a 1 foot birdie tap in.

IMG_0597.jpg

Overall, I know that I need to continue working on ball striking but it is not as difficult of a transition so far that I thought it might be. Ended up shooting an 83 today with 2 lost balls and 34 putts. Playing another 18 early tomorrow and will see if I can continue to improve the ball striking.

Quick side note: I got paired with a gentlemen today that has been playing golf for 44 years and about 6 weeks ago he switched from cavity backs to some MacGregor VIP forged irons with a similar cavity back to the split cavities in this set. He asked and I let him hit a few shots with the irons and he LOVED the feel of these and the setup at address so that was neat to see. :clapp:

Hey everyone - just got home from my 1st round on the course with the new irons. It was a mixed day overall, some really good shots and some really poor shots. Before I go into further detail I will answer a question I saw answered earlier today about mishits and accuracy. ALL of my mishits are fat shots - I am losing significant distance but not any accuracy - they are going straight where I am aimed.

During and after today's round, I came to the conclusion that these clubs greatly reward well struck shots and heavy penalize poor struck shots. There is a reason that these are considered "players" irons.

MISSES: My mishits are all fat shots. I believe that due to the sharpness of the leading edge of the sole that is where I am losing forgiveness where I had it previously. As soon as the leading edge on the VR Pro Combo makes contact with the ground it is digging in where as my Cobra's with the slight roundness would skip across the ground a tad before completely digging into the ground. I have no doubt that in the end these will make me become a better ball striker and eventually a better player. Yes, I could play cavity back irons for the rest of my life but the rewards of well struck shots are simply too great to not get better at ball striking and learn how to hit these.

The only fat shots today that I dearly paid for were on a 530 yard 5. Water is approximately 20 yards short of green so it is a 3 shot hole for me. I hit M3 off the tee to the middle of the FW. I then just wanted to hit a nice 6 iron to about the 110 yard spot and I hit it fat. That left me with 185 yards into a slight breeze. I pulled out the 3 iron and tried to put a smooth stroke on it and hit it fat into the water. Ended up taking a triple bogey on the hole.

I had a few punch out shots today which limited the amount of full irons that I had into greens but that was a nice opportunity to use the 4 iron. I hit several really good punch outs from 90-130 that got onto the green within 15 feet so that was good to get a feel for.

WELL STRUCK SHOTS:

I had about 5 or 6 iron shots today where I just caught the ball flush - they were dead straight and tracking all the way. I am still seeing about an 8-10 yard loss on well struck iron shots which I am fine with due to the previously mentioned issue with the club lofts being weaker throughout the set.

On well struck shots, there is a great ball flight for me of fairly high without ballooning which allows for the ball to sit down very quickly (within 2 feet of landing spot on HARD greens).

Someone had also asked earlier about punch down shots with the blades. I used this technique twice today very successfully. One was with an iron from 127 yards and I stuck in pin high about 15 feet right. The other (shot of the day) was a PW from 99 yards that I choked down on. Picture below is the result and a 1 foot birdie tap in.

IMG_0597.jpg

Overall, I know that I need to continue working on ball striking but it is not as difficult of a transition so far that I thought it might be. Ended up shooting an 83 today with 2 lost balls and 34 putts. Playing another 18 early tomorrow and will see if I can continue to improve the ball striking.

Quick side note: I got paired with a gentlemen today that has been playing golf for 44 years and about 6 weeks ago he switched from cavity backs to some MacGregor VIP forged irons with a similar cavity back to the split cavities in this set. He asked and I let him hit a few shots with the irons and he LOVED the feel of these and the setup at address so that was neat to see. :clapp:

Can I ask where you played? Living 18 years in Dallas I just like to hear where people are playing these days

Great stuff MCook. Hopefully this weather will clear up and I can get out there myself.

Great stuff so far mcook. You have set the bar pretty high for your fellow testers!

Can I ask where you played? Living 18 years in Dallas I just like to hear where people are playing these days

Of course - I played the blue & white nines at Prairie Lakes Golf Course (27 hole facility) in Grand Prairie. It is just off of I-20 in south Grand Prairie and several holes play off of Mountain Creek Lake.

Back