Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Great stuff Cookie and other testers! You guys have been great. I hit these at Golfsmith the other day and was extremely impressed. The blades are great, but I really enjoyed the feel off of the split cavities. What clubs do the testers like the best?

I'm going to say the blades, but the splits are a very close second. In fact, for the most part, I rarely notice a legitimate difference between the two in terms of ball striking, which I found to be pretty shocking when I first started testing. That's just how well I think Nike blended those two club styles.

Grips - This is the first time I have played in the pouring rain with these clubs, luckily it only rained three holes. The grips held up fine. I wore rain gloves for the first three holes, but did not deal with slippage at all. I was worried about this before the round, because I have had other grips become almost unplayable because they get so slick. I was very happy with the stock grips.

Awesome. I've not really had too many opportunities to play in full rain, but I love seeing others confirm what I believe to be true about the standard grips. They hold up great in rain.

I'm going to say the blades, but the splits are a very close second. In fact, for the most part, I rarely notice a legitimate difference between the two in terms of ball striking, which I found to be pretty shocking when I first started testing. That's just how well I think Nike blended those two club styles.

I would agree with that. The splits are really very nice in terms of feel.

Split Cavities
The Nike Pro Combos are a blended set of irons that are marketed as giving forgiveness in the long irons and precision with the scoring irons. The set makeup is 3 & 4 iron Pocket Cavities, 5-7 Split Cavities, and 8-PW Blades. I’ve decided to break my testing up into different categories so that I can concentrate on the 3 different clubs individually. This week I concentrated on the Split Cavities.

Looks:
Sexiest iron on the market today. If I had to describe them to a blind person I would say they are a traditionalists dream. Very understated cavity graphics by modern standards. Just a beautifully shaped iron with a nice chrome finish and of course the iconic swoosh on the toe. I like the VR Pro lettering as well. Just about perfect if you ask me. At address the Split Cavities give me a nice feeling of confidence. They frame the ball very well and at least for me they have just enough girth shall we say to give me the confidence that I will make solid contact. In the opposite direction, they also are small enough that I don’t think I need to over do anything in terms of my swing in order to play certain shots like a fade/draw or flighting the ball lower. Looks for me is a very strong A

Feel:
There is a certain feeling that I look for in an iron when it is struck well. It is a feeling of muted nothingness. You swing the club and you look up and the ball is taking off. This club gives me that. Sure there is some harshness when you hit a terrible shot. That is to be expected. But when you hit the sweet spot, the ball just mushes on the face and then takes off. As nice a feeling as you can hope for. I might try and liken it to hitting a nail with a hammer. Little bit off and you know you didn’t hit it square. Right on the sweet spot and the nail is driven in with very little feel. Slight mishits are still pretty good. Not a bad feeling at all. Maybe the graphite shafts are helping me with the slight mishits in that I don’t get that jarring effect up my arms. It kind of just feels like something got in the way of your good swing. Very strong A

Performance:
I am surprised at the performance of the Split Cavs quite honestly. Lets remember that this review is from a mid cappers point of view. I was kind of expecting to struggle just a little with the longer irons in this set. This has simply not happened. I have felt very comfortable standing over the ball on all of my shots. I don’t have any thoughts in my head of not hitting a good shot. I feel like I’m going to put the ball exactly where I expect to put it.
I have had zero issues in terms of trying to work the ball on the course. I’ve tried playing draws/fades, knockdowns, and punch shots all with excellent results. The only thing that I have seen so far that would be a negative is the push. I have a tendency to hit a slight push shot that goes very straight. Can’t really blame the iron for that though. My ball flight has been pretty high and I’ve seen some nice hop and stop with these irons which has also surprised me. I’m usually playing a TM Burner Tour which is in no way a high spin ball. I would have expected to see a little more roll out with these irons. Just not seeing it. What I am seeing is high shots that land on the green and pretty much stop within a foot or 2 of the ball mark.
One more thing that I am surprised about is the accuracy of these irons. It is one thing to hit the scoring irons accurately. It is quite another to be hitting the longer irons very accurate as well. I find myself not worried to shoot at the pin from 175 out these days. I’ve had quite a few shots in the 150-175 range the past few months that were all within a few feet. It is a remarkable feeling to have and I’ve enjoyed it.
It’s not all rosy though. One thing that I can say is that for some reason I’ve lost my confidence in a draw. I can still draw it just not on command like I used to. In fact I seem to have gone the opposite direction and now my go to shot is a fade. I don’t mind that as I find a fade to be more controllable especially with the irons. I do find it a little strange though. I also find that my divots are a little bigger with the Split Cavs. I seem to be coming in quite steep. It has not affected my shots but it is something that I’ve found. Maybe my turf interaction is not all that great with the smaller sole. I’ve recently been trying to concentrate on picking the ball a little more and this seems to have helped. Performance would be a solid B+

Miscellaneous Thoughts:
I’ve had 3 shots with the Split Cavs that I thought were going in the hole. None of them did but it was quite exciting to hit a 5/6/7I and think that it had a chance
My go to layup shot on par 5’s is now with my 6I. I have yet to miss any of these shots.
I find ¾ shots with these irons to be very easy. That is not always the case with long irons
Have I mentioned how much I love the PX graphite shafts? Zero pain which in the past has been a major issue for me.
I have found that the Spotless Swing Towel cleans the X3X grooves very well
As has been mentioned prior, these X3X grooves seem to do a great job at not marking up the golf ball

Final Thoughts:
Nike is claiming Pin seeking control and workability with these Split Cavities. Thus far in my 2 months of playing them I cannot disprove that claim. I find these irons to be very accurate for long irons and the workability has been very good with the slight draw issue being a swing problem. Great looks plus they actually perform. Can’t beat that. If you like high long irons shots that actually stop after hitting the greens these clubs might be for you. If you like working the ball around the course these irons don’t hinder that either. Perfect? No. A little more forgiveness, especially off the toe, would have been perfect. But these Split Cavs are darn good. My final grade is an A-. The sole is slightly digging for me otherwise it would have been perfect.

Pictures and video will be added to this post once I get my computer back up and running. I am again sorry for the delay in posting this week.

I completely agree with this. Not just the feeling when struck, but the look at address as well (other than the cavity backs).

Awesome. I've not really had too many opportunities to play in full rain, but I love seeing others confirm what I believe to be true about the standard grips. They hold up great in rain.

It was only three holes of rain, so they didn't get a full test, but I was pleased with them and didn't have any issues.

That was an awesome update, Chunky. I would like to hit these side by side with the irons I'm testing. I'm thinking we will have to make that happen in May!

That was an awesome update, Chunky. I would like to hit these side by side with the irons I'm testing. I'm thinking we will have to make that happen in May!

Definitely bro. I need to hit me those gorgeous hunks of steel

It was only three holes of rain, so they didn't get a full test, but I was pleased with them and didn't have any issues.

I think 3 holes is plenty of time with rain to decide quality. They either work or they don't haha!

Interesting that you do wear the rain gloves though. I've never even really considered them but I've heard great things.

Wow CL, that final review is unbelievable. Are they going to stay in your bag?

I think 3 holes is plenty of time with rain to decide quality. They either work or they don't haha!

Interesting that you do wear the rain gloves though. I've never even really considered them but I've heard great things.

Very true. It's for a different thread, but they are Nike rain gloves and I have used them for a year or so (when I play in the rain) with great results. Also, I got to use my new Nike golf umbrella. 62" and vented. Worked great.

Very true. It's for a different thread, but they are Nike rain gloves and I have used them for a year or so (when I play in the rain) with great results. Also, I got to use my new Nike golf umbrella. 62" and vented. Worked great.

I'll have to check them out. I love all the Nike gear I own already, may as well add some more!!

Nice, I'll have to check these gloves out. My FJ "rain" gloves have become stretched out and need replacing. I played your course today, Greenback, in the rain and needed something new for rain gloves. I;m playing in a tourney at your course next Saturday AM. I really hope this rain is just temporary, I'm not ready for fall and rain...

** My greens were all aerated but the ball was still stopping clean, and very few of my VR Pro Combo's into the green had forward roll after landing. I don't know if this is common for the other testers, but I am quite certain these clubs aren't reducing spin for me on approach even remotely. Gotta love those X3X grooves!!

I can confirm that I'm actually getting a lot more spin out of the VR Pro Combos than I have from my last 2 sets of irons with the non-conforming grooves! The stats really made me sit up and take notice. I'm sure the shaft choice helps a little, but the grooves really must come into it and they've performed over and above the standard I was expecting!

Living in Scotland, I've played in a bit of rain lately! I've had no problems with the grips when it has been cold and wet. They're not the tackiest in the colder weather, but they stand up ok and don't cause undue problems.

Split Cavities
The Nike Pro Combos are a blended set of irons that are marketed as giving forgiveness in the long irons and precision with the scoring irons. The set makeup is 3 & 4 iron Pocket Cavities, 5-7 Split Cavities, and 8-PW Blades. I’ve decided to break my testing up into different categories so that I can concentrate on the 3 different clubs individually. This week I concentrated on the Split Cavities.

Looks:
Sexiest iron on the market today. If I had to describe them to a blind person I would say they are a traditionalists dream. Very understated cavity graphics by modern standards. Just a beautifully shaped iron with a nice chrome finish and of course the iconic swoosh on the toe. I like the VR Pro lettering as well. Just about perfect if you ask me. At address the Split Cavities give me a nice feeling of confidence. They frame the ball very well and at least for me they have just enough girth shall we say to give me the confidence that I will make solid contact. In the opposite direction, they also are small enough that I don’t think I need to over do anything in terms of my swing in order to play certain shots like a fade/draw or flighting the ball lower. Looks for me is a very strong A

Feel:
There is a certain feeling that I look for in an iron when it is struck well. It is a feeling of muted nothingness. You swing the club and you look up and the ball is taking off. This club gives me that. Sure there is some harshness when you hit a terrible shot. That is to be expected. But when you hit the sweet spot, the ball just mushes on the face and then takes off. As nice a feeling as you can hope for. I might try and liken it to hitting a nail with a hammer. Little bit off and you know you didn’t hit it square. Right on the sweet spot and the nail is driven in with very little feel. Slight mishits are still pretty good. Not a bad feeling at all. Maybe the graphite shafts are helping me with the slight mishits in that I don’t get that jarring effect up my arms. It kind of just feels like something got in the way of your good swing. Very strong A

Performance:
I am surprised at the performance of the Split Cavs quite honestly. Lets remember that this review is from a mid cappers point of view. I was kind of expecting to struggle just a little with the longer irons in this set. This has simply not happened. I have felt very comfortable standing over the ball on all of my shots. I don’t have any thoughts in my head of not hitting a good shot. I feel like I’m going to put the ball exactly where I expect to put it.
I have had zero issues in terms of trying to work the ball on the course. I’ve tried playing draws/fades, knockdowns, and punch shots all with excellent results. The only thing that I have seen so far that would be a negative is the push. I have a tendency to hit a slight push shot that goes very straight. Can’t really blame the iron for that though. My ball flight has been pretty high and I’ve seen some nice hop and stop with these irons which has also surprised me. I’m usually playing a TM Burner Tour which is in no way a high spin ball. I would have expected to see a little more roll out with these irons. Just not seeing it. What I am seeing is high shots that land on the green and pretty much stop within a foot or 2 of the ball mark.
One more thing that I am surprised about is the accuracy of these irons. It is one thing to hit the scoring irons accurately. It is quite another to be hitting the longer irons very accurate as well. I find myself not worried to shoot at the pin from 175 out these days. I’ve had quite a few shots in the 150-175 range the past few months that were all within a few feet. It is a remarkable feeling to have and I’ve enjoyed it.
It’s not all rosy though. One thing that I can say is that for some reason I’ve lost my confidence in a draw. I can still draw it just not on command like I used to. In fact I seem to have gone the opposite direction and now my go to shot is a fade. I don’t mind that as I find a fade to be more controllable especially with the irons. I do find it a little strange though. I also find that my divots are a little bigger with the Split Cavs. I seem to be coming in quite steep. It has not affected my shots but it is something that I’ve found. Maybe my turf interaction is not all that great with the smaller sole. I’ve recently been trying to concentrate on picking the ball a little more and this seems to have helped. Performance would be a solid B+

Miscellaneous Thoughts:
I’ve had 3 shots with the Split Cavs that I thought were going in the hole. None of them did but it was quite exciting to hit a 5/6/7I and think that it had a chance
My go to layup shot on par 5’s is now with my 6I. I have yet to miss any of these shots.
I find ¾ shots with these irons to be very easy. That is not always the case with long irons
Have I mentioned how much I love the PX graphite shafts? Zero pain which in the past has been a major issue for me.
I have found that the Spotless Swing Towel cleans the X3X grooves very well
As has been mentioned prior, these X3X grooves seem to do a great job at not marking up the golf ball

Final Thoughts:
Nike is claiming Pin seeking control and workability with these Split Cavities. Thus far in my 2 months of playing them I cannot disprove that claim. I find these irons to be very accurate for long irons and the workability has been very good with the slight draw issue being a swing problem. Great looks plus they actually perform. Can’t beat that. If you like high long irons shots that actually stop after hitting the greens these clubs might be for you. If you like working the ball around the course these irons don’t hinder that either. Perfect? No. A little more forgiveness, especially off the toe, would have been perfect. But these Split Cavs are darn good. My final grade is an A-. The sole is slightly digging for me otherwise it would have been perfect.

Pictures and video will be added to this post once I get my computer back up and running. I am again sorry for the delay in posting this week.

Excellent thoughts CL. I agree with an awful lot of this. It just reminded me that I don't think I've badly marked a golf ball with any of these irons in the time I've had them, and I've hit quite a few bad shots!

I can confirm that I'm actually getting a lot more spin out of the VR Pro Combos than I have from my last 2 sets of irons with the non-conforming grooves! The stats really made me sit up and take notice. I'm sure the shaft choice helps a little, but the grooves really must come into it and they've performed over and above the standard I was expecting!

Living in Scotland, I've played in a bit of rain lately! I've had no problems with the grips when it has been cold and wet. They're not the tackiest in the colder weather, but they stand up ok and don't cause undue problems.

Great to hear on the rain test for you as well Paulo!

Interesting comment about the shafts and I do think it makes a difference. For me, I am not so sure I have gained a ton of spin per se, but there is no question in my mind that spin is not lost on these irons, especially on my better struck shots. Nothing better than watching a 4 iron pocket cavity drop like a rock, hit, and pull back a foot or two!

Great write up CL. Do you think the results you are seeing on the course would be better/worse if these werent a split set? Any notice of difference in swing or your approach to a shot say when hitting a 7iron vs an 8iron (due to the difference in club head style)?

Played 9 holes this morning with the GF at a little (junky) nine hole course. It was just the two of us and we were following a 4 some and a 5 some (yes a 5 some!). Needless to say we waited on every shot and could not get into a rhythm. Score wasn't too bad, but it wasn't pretty. The course is pretty short so I didn't use these clubs on every hole. I will break down each shot. There was about 10 mph wind today, but no rain.

All shots were with a Titleist ProV1.

140 yards to the pin, wind in the face, 8i hit the middle of the green and spun back to pin high but a little right. Leaves me about 15 feet, 2 putt par. Here is a picture, you can see the ball mark past the ball. (Not that it matters, but with the angle of the pic it looks a lot further from the hole than it is, but I paced it off)

Spoiler
IMG_0770.jpg

150 yards to the pin, wind directly left to right, 8i hit about 10 feet left of the green. I aimed at the left edge, hoping the wind would take it, and hit a draw that the wind did not affect at all. Happy with the shot, just not good aim.

170 yards to the pin, wind directly in the face, soft 5i hit just left of the green and long. Another well struck ball, but I tend to pull the ball if I don't hit a full shot. I know better, but still try it.

175 yards to the pin, wind SE to NW, 7i hit well, but was very high so the wind pushed it left of the green, and about 5 yards past the pin.

150 yards to the pin, wind in the face again, 7i hit directly at the pin and I thought it was going to have a chance to go in, flies right over the pin, one hop and spun back to even with its ball mark. Back of the green, about 15 feet left, made the birdie putt. Great way to end the day. Here is a pic of the ball next to the ball mark.

Spoiler
IMG_0771.jpg

All in all, it was an ok day. Ball striking was good, but accuracy wasn't great. I typically overplayed the wind, but hindsight is always 20/20. Hoping to play tomorrow as well. As always, questions are welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:
Jeff,
Can you talk a little bit about the clubs during this round compared to your game? You mention ball striking was good, but accuracy wasnt great, that leads me to believe that there was an equipment issue.

Wow CL, that final review is unbelievable. Are they going to stay in your bag?

Not final TH. Still got a long way to go to review these beauties. I am just trying to concentrate on specific clubs and this week were the Split Cavs. These irons are definitely in the bag for the foreseeable future. I thus far don't really see why the Di11's would replace them. I struggled with the 4I in that set so I would most likely be going 3/4H. The rest of this set is pretty easy in terms of hitting. I enjoy playing this set a little more if that makes sense.

Jeff,
Can you talk a little bit about the clubs during this round compared to your game? You mention ball striking was good, but accuracy wasnt great, that leads me to believe that there was an equipment issue.

Of course, sorry I was a little vague. I don't believe it was an equipment issue I just couldn't get into a rhythm today. Waiting literally on every shot is not the way I am used to playing. By saying ball striking was good, I mean I was hitting the ball first and hitting the middle of the club face (or very close). My swing just felt a little "off" today. I would aim for a fade and hit a pull, try to hit it straight and draw it, try to draw it and hit it straight. Sorry does that make sense? I seemed to lose my concentration the more and more I would have to wait, and it showed. Also, I couldn't figure out how much the wind was going to affect the shot, which caused some loss in accuracy.

Maybe these clubs are too workable? Is there is such a thing? Or maybe I should not try to work the ball so much. I think I will concentrate my next range session and/or round on trying to hit one shot shape.

Great write up CL. Do you think the results you are seeing on the course would be better/worse if these werent a split set? Any notice of difference in swing or your approach to a shot say when hitting a 7iron vs an 8iron (due to the difference in club head style)?

To the second part of your question I would answer for me there is no difference in how I swing the clubs throughout the set. The blades,while sounding intimidating, are not at all. They are quite easy to hit and I have full confidence when standing over a shot with them. The Splits have been very nice as well. Normally it is right around the 5I that I will start having some issues with any iron set. I honestly feel that I have not had issues until the 4I in this set. The set blends very well in terms of looks so that I don't really notice a difference at all when addressing the ball.

For the first part of your question I am not positive I am understanding. Are you asking if I were playing a full blade set or if I were playing a full split set. The answer IMO is that I would struggle at the 5I if this were a full blade set. So the blended set IMO has made a nice difference in terms of my results. Let me know if I understood that wrong and thanks for taking the time to read our reviews!

Anybody, still no word from Beowulf?
This is crazy. Apparently Nike clubs mean disaster for some people.
Im legitimately concerned.

No, not here. Side note: is F2G ok or potential same issue? Know he was supposed to attend the FL gathering but did not. Just curious if he is alright.

To the second part of your question I would answer for me there is no difference in how I swing the clubs throughout the set. The blades,while sounding intimidating, are not at all. They are quite easy to hit and I have full confidence when standing over a shot with them. The Splits have been very nice as well. Normally it is right around the 5I that I will start having some issues with any iron set. I honestly feel that I have not had issues until the 4I in this set. The set blends very well in terms of looks so that I don't really notice a difference at all when addressing the ball.

For the first part of your question I am not positive I am understanding. Are you asking if I were playing a full blade set or if I were playing a full split set. The answer IMO is that I would struggle at the 5I if this were a full blade set. So the blended set IMO has made a nice difference in terms of my results. Let me know if I understood that wrong and thanks for taking the time to read our reviews!

Should have made my question more clear. I worded it odd. I guess I will turn it into multiple questions;

1. Would you prefer that the set were all one style rather than split.
2. If it was one style, would you prefer the cavity or the blades?
3. Based on the use of the different styles in the set, would you benefit over one style rather than the other?

Hope this isnt too much of a loaded question.

No, not here. Side note: is F2G ok or potential same issue? Know he was supposed to attend the FL gathering but did not. Just curious if he is alright.

Neither of them for me.. Hope all is well with them.

Back