Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Thanks, paulo!

My pleasure!

Just uploading some short vids now. Glad a few of you could hear the sound difference in the pocket cavities, so I'm not going completely mad. I really do think I'm getting to like these pocket cavities though. The stats tell me they're consistent for me, the flight looks good, and hopefully my videos will explain that they're quite versatile too.

Test Date: 09/26/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo 3/5/8 irons with Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts
Testing Purpose: To ascertain and display the workability or lack thereof!
My Club: Testing clubs as above - previous irons were Wilson Staff fg59
Ball Used: Poor condition practice balls, pretty dirty.
Environment: Glasgow, about 55 degrees, breezy and skinny jeans.

Thought I'd spend a little time concentrating on the workability, or lack thereof, of these irons. The test comes in 3 different parts, as the VR Pro Combo iron set has 3 different styles of club - Pocket Cavity, Split Cavity and Blade.

Assumptions and pre-conceived ideas...

I know, it's always best to hit the range with an open mind and no pre-conceived ideas on the irons you're about to hit, but it's difficult. Even those who have never hit these irons will most likely have this opinion. The blades will be workable, but easy to mis-hit. The splits might be able to work, perhaps easier one way depending on your swing tendencies, and the pocket cavities will be difficult to work with any predictability. That would be my thinking. Right up until I began testing the Nike VR Pro Combo irons on behalf of THP and Nike Golf.

So, I thought as a treat I'd let you all see my handsome face some more, and have a chuckle at my swing. :wink:

The setup and how I play....

I do hit a fade or (more often) a draw from time to time, when needed, but I've been trying to concentrate on hitting the ball straight more often than not with my irons. My natural shot shape is a baby draw, so the draw comes a little easier to me. To execute these shots, I tend to change my stance slightly to affect my swing path, and not change my swing all that much. I come slightly inside or outside the plane to exaggerate the shot a little more if needed.
Today I basically went straight on to the range and started shooting these. I hit probably 6 balls to warm up, so I certainly didn't have a 'grooved' swing when attempting these shots.

The audio on the videos might not be the best, so I'll post little summaries as I go along. As ever, please jump in with any comments, questions or requests and all the testers will be very keen to answer.

It was quite difficult to see some of the ball flight due to the conditions (best day in ages here!)

First up, blades. I chose the 8 iron to get the best idea of how the ball flies.

The fade -
Spoiler
[video=youtube;BcR-iC6Et_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcR-iC6Et_8[/video]

Probably the one I thought I'd struggle with most. I hardly ever hit a fade with a shorter iron and it's not my natural shape. The VR Pro Combo 8 iron felt very good all the way through this 'foreign' swing to me, and performed well. I got a slight fade on it, which it probably all I'd ever need.

The draw -
Spoiler

This one was right in my comfort zone. I adjusted my set up very little for this as I'm used to hitting it. The 8 iron really gets a draw going easily, and if anything I need to be careful to not overdo it and end up with a hook. Both these shots came off the middle of the face.

The blades overall are as easy to work as most would expect. But I will also add that they don't sacrifice forgiveness for this. It's a strange one, as I usually think it's one or the other! Maybe the X3X grooves adding to the spin really helps the workability once you start going one way or the other?

I moved on to the split cavities. For this test, I chose the 5 iron, to get the slightly further flight that you might be able to see the ball move. I wasn't sure what to expect on this one. I've been seeing a pretty consistent draw with the split cavities with my normal swing, and tending to hit closer to the heel on the face.

The fade -
Spoiler

Again, not the most comfortable of shots given where I've been tending to strike the ball on the face of the split cavities. I actually found this shot pretty easy when flighted lower, but when hitting it higher, I struggled a little with it - Hitting it straight more than fading it when putting it high up there.

The draw -
Spoiler

This one surprised me. I was confident of playing it without changing my setup, given my natural shot shape, but I kind of struggled to hit it consistently. There was a tendency to start it straight and pull it left. It still moved easily, but I think more attention will need to be paid to my setup to hammer down the consistency on this shot. I may have taken it for granted a bit.

Now, on to the pocket cavities. I was a bit worried about this bit, as I wasn't sure if I'd be able to call the shot with these. I've seen quite a few fades with them, and the occasional draw, but not on command as yet! Would the pocket cavity hold these back in this test, making it difficult to hit the shot shape consistently? For this test, I decided to go with the 3 iron - the one which may or may not be causing the most consternation out there so far!

The fade -
Spoiler

I LOVED this shot. Absolutely loved hitting a fade with this iron. It was so easy. Just an adjustment of my stance, a nice easy swing and I got a low, penetrating fade which was so clonsistent I'm sure I could land one on top of the last one! So surprised with this shot.

The draw -
Spoiler

After hitting the fade, I got a little concerned. If a fade is so easy, surely that's my tendency with the pocket cavities? That means a draw will be difficult, right? Nope. I hit the draw almost as easily as the fade. Again, kept low and really quite consistent.

I hit both these shots so easily with the pocket cavities, I left the range wondering if I should try to work every shot on the course with them. They really were that predictable!

Here's my short summary of these shots.
Spoiler

To summarize in type -

Don't think that you can't work every one of these irons both ways. I managed all these shots with little to no practice, and very little adjustment on my swing. I was so surprised by the pocket cavities, and this really boosted my confidence in the long irons.
The fade doesn't come easiest to me usually, but I'd be confident in pulling it off if I'm in a tight spot...with any one of the VR Pro Combo irons.

My thought - the fact that these irons can spin both ways easily, but still pack some forgiveness....is that partly down to the X3X grooves? I really think Nike has something good going on with this technology.

Great update paulo and nice videos. Your swing is looking good man. I too found these irons to be workable in both directions, but I couldn't do it consistently. I have been pleasantly surprised with simply hitting the ball straight the past week. It is nice to have the workability in the bag, for certain situations, but I am loving the straight ball flight and how consistently I am hitting it right now.

Solid update, Jeff.

I hear some of you guys say that you couldn't game a full set of the blades and I can understand that completely. Aside from forgiveness aspect, is there any other reason? Do you think you'd struggle to get the ball up in the air with an all blade set up?

I played an all blade set. I can go and have some great rounds if absolutely everything is working. It is the off days that the full blade set is just awful. When I had my MB's I went from a Saturday round of 80 on a difficult course to a 103 the next day on a cow pasture. This set will punish you a little on your off days but just no where near as bad.

I'm playing tomorrow, and hope to be able to shoot some more videos and/or pictures. Any recommendations?

VR Pro Blades
Test Date: 9/25/11
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combos 8-PW Blades PX Graphite Shaft 5.0
My Club: I play the Pro Combos but prior set was Wilson Staff Di11’s
Ball Used: Range balls in good to poor condition.
Environment: Breezy, rainy and very wet ground

The rain took an hour long break today so I rushed to the range. I tried getting some video but my amateur 7 year old Spielberg used up all the battery power on the video camera. I really need to get my distances down with the blades. They are called scoring irons for a reason and I need to dial in the distances I am getting with each of the scoring clubs. This is my main goal in todays range session.

Once again I went over to the grass side of the range and plopped my gear down about 120 yards away from the nearest green. The ground was soaked and the wind was whipping pretty good. Good time to practice the knockdowns. At 120 yards I think the 8I could be a great club in keeping the ball down. I need to see if I can get the proper spin though to stop the ball on the green coming in that low. Warm up with some wedges. I’m not hitting the ball well. I tend to really struggle on wet ground. I don’t know why but I do.

I hit 30 balls with the 8I. All of the balls I try to bring in low. I alternate trying to go left, right, and straight. I struggled a little bit with contact. I am digging very hard into the mud and the sole is not bouncing off the turf into the ball at all. I’m not really all that fat. Just a tiny bit. Usually when I’m just a little bit fat I can still make good contact with the sole coming off the turf. With the mud though the club was just sticking. In fact this is the first time that my hands actually hurt after a range session. I was sticking the club into the ground pretty badly. That being said I still stuck 23 shots onto the green with about half of those being pretty decent birdie chances. I am finding a surprising amount of forgiveness with these blades. The least forgiving would be the toe shot followed very closely by the high off the face shot. Heel shots for me have been very forgiving.

I then moved onto the 9I. Normally a full 9I goes over the green but today the wind was right in my face so a full 9I is a good distance. This time I am trying to vary the height of the shot. With 30 shots I tried to take 15 in the normal height and 15 coming in slightly lower. I made much more consistent contact with this grouping of balls. Slightly heel side of center contact and great towering shots. Perhaps too high though as I came up short with 6/15 leaving myself long putts. The slightly lower trajectory shots were money. 13/15 on the green and 8 of those with excellent birdie chances. I think the 9I is my favorite club in this set. It’s the loft of my old PW so it is essentially the PW for me and I use it as such. I take a ton of half and ¾ shots with this club and I often find myself laying up to a 9I rather than the PW.

PW is last. I can’t reach the green so I don’t even try it. I instead hit 2 good ¾ shots and 2 good ½ shots into the fairway. I then hit 30 balls each at those 2 groupings. This is how I ended my session and it was a great ending. I find myself loving ¾ shots more than any other shot right now. Every single ¾ shot was the same distance and in a nice tight grouping. I would have had excellent birdie chances with each one. The ½ shots I was very good but not perfect. 23/30 were all the same distance and a nice grouping. 7 shots were either a little long or a little short. Good contact on all the shots though and I would have been putting with all of them.

Miscellaneous:
Hit some 3 & 4I shots and was smoking the ball with them. 4I would be in the bag no doubt right now and the 3I is fighting for a spot
Really struggled with the Splits for some reason. Club was just digging big time and by the time I was done I was pretty much covered in mud. Not pretty and I think I destroyed about ½ an acre of land with my divots.
As I said earlier this is the first time since switching to graphite that my hands and wrists hurt. I was very steep and this happens a lot on muddy ground for me
I love these blades

CL great writeup! Cant decide what I like more.. The picture or the writeup hehe

Great write up Chunky. Sorry that it was wet/sloppy and you struggled with digging. Interesting that you struggled with the splits but hit the Pockets well. Maybe you tend to sweep more with the 3 and 4 vs hitting down with the splits? So the club didn't really have a chance to dig. I dont know, just a thought.

Did you see the videos I posted for you yesterday of the 3/4 PW? I think you're onto something. I'm going to try that shot again tomorrow. Keep up the good work! I bet your head is spinning after the big announcement. Congrats again buddy, you deserve it.

Great write up CL! I have not had any rain that actually made for sloppy conditions so you have me curious how these will react for me in that environment. Strange that you were struggling with the splits and hitting the pockets so well as I know that it is usually the other way around for you. One day anomaly you think?

Tappin' from my iPad!

Funnily enough, the conditions I was out in the other day were very wet underfoot, and I was really digging into a lot of the blades. The shots were still good, and I wouldn't take the strikes back, but the leading edge does like to dig in there a little. I wonder if this is the same quality that helps us see better than expected results out of the rough with these irons?

Test Date: 09/27/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons with Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts
Testing Purpose: To show the versatility of the PW around the green
My Club: Nike VR Pro Combo PW.
Environment: Glasgow, about 55 degrees, quite windy!

Thought I'd take a little time to shoot a video on one of the things we've not really touched on much - the little shots around the green. I like to play a variety of shots around the green - from pitch-and-runs, high flops to those little one-hop shots with a bit of bite.

Normally I carry 2 extra wedges - a 54 and a 58 degree. But around the green, I've taken to using the VR Pro Combo PW more and more. I won't lie - at the start of this testing, it went straight back in my bag after trying these shots. The ball seemed to just shoot off the face of the PW and I couldn't get the feel for the short chips at all.

Now, after a little more practice, and playing around with a couple of different shots, I've found that this iron offers a very predictable reaction. Just getting used to it at first was a bit of an adjustment, but after that, it's a joy to hit round about the green. I find it performs especially well in the thicker rough, and again my attention is drawn to the X3X groove technology.

Anyway, here's my videos. I get a little confused and refer to my shots as being around 'ankle height' when I'm trying to say I feel like they're launched around ankle height! Again, apologies for the audio quality in parts.

The summary of the shots -

Anyone notice my first one hit the pin? Ended up the furthest away I think!

Any of my fellow testers been using the blades round about the green? As I say in the video, I can hit any of the blades around the fringe, or out of the rough around the green and get a pleasingly predictable flight/reaction from them.

Funnily enough, the conditions I was out in the other day were very wet underfoot, and I was really digging into a lot of the blades. The shots were still good, and I wouldn't take the strikes back, but the leading edge does like to dig in there a little. I wonder if this is the same quality that helps us see better than expected results out of the rough with these irons?

Paulo - I would agree with this. I think for good or bad, the leading edge of these cut into whatever they are nearing. Great for the rough and long bunker shots but can be challenging from the FW if ball striking is not up to par since it will cut into that turf just as easy.

Great videos man and yes I do like to use the 9 iron quite a bit around the greens for little bump n runs. Quite predictable with the low flight and subsequent run out. It has taken some getting used to as I noted early on in the testing as I was not used to such a "hot" club face.

Good to hear you're having some success with the blades around the green, paulo. That is something I'm trying to do more and more with the V2's as I don't have a truly low bounce wedge in my bag any more.

Paulo - I would agree with this. I think for good or bad, the leading edge of these cut into whatever they are nearing. Great for the rough and long bunker shots but can be challenging from the FW if ball striking is not up to par since it will cut into that turf just as easy.

Great videos man and yes I do like to use the 9 iron quite a bit around the greens for little bump n runs. Quite predictable with the low flight and subsequent run out. It has taken some getting used to as I noted early on in the testing as I was not used to such a "hot" club face.

Sounds really similar to my experience Cookie. Given that my ball striking is usually pretty consistent, I'm happy with this as the results from the rough have been pleasantly surprising.

Good to hear you're having some success with the blades around the green, paulo. That is something I'm trying to do more and more with the V2's as I don't have a truly low bounce wedge in my bag any more.

Thanks Hawk. It's definitely worth getting that practice in on these shots, as the little hop and bite chip can be a very handy shot to have. I reckon the V2s should be able to give you this going on the testing so far. Would be interesting to get them up against the VR Pro Combos in this sort of tests, just to see if my thoughts on the groove technology hold true.

I think you are right. The leading edge is sharp for sure. In wet conditions sometimes my "normal" shots feel like a stab per se, still great ball flight and normal distance, but the club head gets caught up in the ground a bit. A couple weeks ago when the ground was wet I took a few divots that were between 12-16" long! When I hit these shots, I thought I hit them fat with the way the turf interaction was, but it was actually ball first, then (quite a bit of) the ground. Out of the rough, no issues at all. These things cut through it no problem (unless its SUPER long).

Great update and videos Paulo. I occasionally hit bump and runs, but I prefer a wedge (60*) shot most of the times. My bump and runs are typically closer to the green.

Great write up Chunky. Sorry that it was wet/sloppy and you struggled with digging. Interesting that you struggled with the splits but hit the Pockets well. Maybe you tend to sweep more with the 3 and 4 vs hitting down with the splits? So the club didn't really have a chance to dig. I dont know, just a thought.

Did you see the videos I posted for you yesterday of the 3/4 PW? I think you're onto something. I'm going to try that shot again tomorrow. Keep up the good work! I bet your head is spinning after the big announcement. Congrats again buddy, you deserve it.

Could be Jeff but I don't think so. I just think it was the timing in which I hit the irons. I tend to get in a groove at the range and I hit good shots and then a mini funk takes over and I hit some bad shots. But I will say that the 3/4I are growing on me big time. And thanks for the congrats. I'm still stunned.

Great write up CL! I have not had any rain that actually made for sloppy conditions so you have me curious how these will react for me in that environment. Strange that you were struggling with the splits and hitting the pockets so well as I know that it is usually the other way around for you. One day anomaly you think?

Tappin' from my iPad!

More like a timing of when I hit the irons that day. I explained above. The splits are money I just got in a mini funk. But man were they digging

Thought I'd take a little time to shoot a video on one of the things we've not really touched on much - the little shots around the green. I like to play a variety of shots around the green - from pitch-and-runs, high flops to those little one-hop shots with a bit of bite.

Normally I carry 2 extra wedges - a 54 and a 58 degree. But around the green, I've taken to using the VR Pro Combo PW more and more. I won't lie - at the start of this testing, it went straight back in my bag after trying these shots. The ball seemed to just shoot off the face of the PW and I couldn't get the feel for the short chips at all.

Now, after a little more practice, and playing around with a couple of different shots, I've found that this iron offers a very predictable reaction. Just getting used to it at first was a bit of an adjustment, but after that, it's a joy to hit round about the green. I find it performs especially well in the thicker rough, and again my attention is drawn to the X3X groove technology.

Anyway, here's my videos. I get a little confused and refer to my shots as being around 'ankle height' when I'm trying to say I feel like they're launched around ankle height! Again, apologies for the audio quality in parts.

Any of my fellow testers been using the blades round about the green? As I say in the video, I can hit any of the blades around the fringe, or out of the rough around the green and get a pleasingly predictable flight/reaction from them.

Great update Paulo. I have been concentrating on the blades this week and I've struggled a little with the distance control on chips with the PW. I'm sure it's easily worked out with practice though.

Great update Paulo. I have been concentrating on the blades this week and I've struggled a little with the distance control on chips with the PW. I'm sure it's easily worked out with practice though.

Thanks Chunky and Jeff. I think practice is everything around the greens in normal circumstances, but especially so with these blades. The ball just comes off the face so hot that, if you're not in the groove with them, you could really scare yourself with the first one and be a bit tentative with the rest. Well, that's my tendency anyway.

Funnily enough, when I say the ball comes off hot, it actually just the feel of the iron. My earlier Trackman session with Brian G showed that my distance control with the PW is actually very good. I think it's just about getting used to the feel and trusting it.

Meant to ask way earlier, but have you had experience with the PX steel shafts before this set? Just wondering if you could compare feel-wise with the graphite? I'm pretty interested in the graphite, but I've never found a PX steel shaft that has felt good to me.

Thanks Chunky and Jeff. I think practice is everything around the greens in normal circumstances, but especially so with these blades. The ball just comes off the face so hot that, if you're not in the groove with them, you could really scare yourself with the first one and be a bit tentative with the rest. Well, that's my tendency anyway.

Funnily enough, when I say the ball comes off hot, it actually just the feel of the iron. My earlier Trackman session with Brian G showed that my distance control with the PW is actually very good. I think it's just about getting used to the feel and trusting it.

Meant to ask way earlier, but have you had experience with the PX steel shafts before this set? Just wondering if you could compare feel-wise with the graphite? I'm pretty interested in the graphite, but I've never found a PX steel shaft that has felt good to me.

I absolutely hate PX steel. It is the worst feeling shaft I've ever hit. The graphite feels nothing like it. Far better in every way.

Ok after watching that video and hearing that accent Paulo, you sir are my hero.

Dude, sweet vids! I love short game videos. Great couple of vids there.

In all honesty, I was hoping you would look at the camera and say: "they can take our land, but they'll never take.........OUR FREEDOM!"

I know that's off topic and i'm not discounting your efforts with the vids. I chip a lot with my PW. It's not a blade though.

I absolutely hate PX steel. It is the worst feeling shaft I've ever hit. The graphite feels nothing like it. Far better in every way.

Excellent. You know, I was already guessing it but it's good to hear. I really haven't enjoyed any of the PX steel shafts I've hit but your reviews have me pining to take a swing with the graphite.

Ok after watching that video and hearing that accent Paulo, you sir are my hero.

haha. Thanks dude! I usually sound a bit more like Dr House, but I ham it up to the camera. :wink:

Dude, sweet vids! I love short game videos. Great couple of vids there.

In all honesty, I was hoping you would look at the camera and say: "they can take our land, but they'll never take.........OUR FREEDOM!"

I know that's off topic and i'm not discounting your efforts with the vids. I chip a lot with my PW. It's not a blade though.

:D If you win the next wager, you might get that vid. I'll need to rope in an English member to chase.

Guess I've just grown up with the one wedge and a lot of the time I'll automatically reach for the PW. I'm comfortable with that shot most times.

Thanks for watching guys.

Back