Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep Wedge Review Thread

I cant wait to hear how this goes as that sole has some great possibilities.

That's an interesting heel grind of sorts.

Amol, apologize for the cell pic, but here you go.

6y5u6eba.jpg

Appreciate it buddy. Glad to see that the leading edge isn't very rounded off, at least to my eye.

That is a very nice looking wedge right there.

Great looking wedge with some unique lines to it. Sounds like a must try, anything that improves bunker play is a must try for me.

I am on the fence about this one. I do like the clean look but something is throwing me off at address.

It really looks strange to me, but if it has an impact on my game or anyone else's game then it's a win.

I actually pretty excited about this one. I like heel relief for opening the face and this one has all kinds of it. At the same time, I've been wanting a wide sole wedge in a high loft for the things that this one is designed to do. Very quirky look, but I think pushing the envelope is pretty admirable on Nike's part.

Very interested to see how this review goes for you Hawk. They definitely pushed the envelope on design like you said. This to me is a product that will carry a lot of curiosity with it.

Oh man... I really really like this. I am a sucker for a Nike wedge.

Cannot wait to hear some reviews. I will most likely be bagging this.

I think I need some new wedges.

Looking forward to the review on this one. With a lot of my courses' greens being elevated, I play a lot of shots I need to elevate quickly. It doesnt hurt that I'm a total Nike homer and this wedge looks phenomenal.

Hmm I may be in the market for a new sandie soon. This could be it...

I've neve played Nike equipment (no reason, just never had the chance), but this wedge is a beauty! I'll be very interested in hearing performance feedback form everyone.

I took some shots with this one last night, just to get a sense of how it felt and how it work on standard pitch shots. Sets up just like a conventional wedge, though you can really get the heel side of the leading edge low to the ground when you open it because of the missing material there. No issues to report on the pitches, other than a few balls I hit out on the toe. Nice solid feel - dare I say soft? Got the ball up in a hurry as I'd expect it to.

Early going, so more to come.

Once thing that I am curious about is open faced shots in tight lies. Love the heel grind, but it almost looks like the grind is too steep/angled and would actually cause some unwanted catching/bouncing with the turf.

Hawk,
For someone that likes to pitch the ball around the greens toe down, do you think that this wedge works better with the design for that? Or is it a challenge?

Once thing that I am curious about is open faced shots in tight lies. Love the heel grind, but it almost looks like the grind is too steep/angled and would actually cause some unwanted catching/bouncing with the turf.

I'll try to grab some pictures of it opened up Joe. To me, it's like the heel grind on my Hopkins, but gets the leading edge even lower to the ground. I hit a few open face shots last night and it wasn't bouncing on me that I noticed.

Hawk,
For someone that likes to pitch the ball around the greens toe down, do you think that this wedge works better with the design for that? Or is it a challenge?

I will try it, but my first though when I saw it was that it wouldn't be ideal for that. With the loft I probably would pass it up anyway, but it crossed my mind.

I am on the fence about this one. I do like the clean look but something is throwing me off at address.

Same here. Came back and looked at it again this morning and it appears to be where the hosel funs into the club face. Just looks... off to me.

I'll try to grab some pictures of it opened up Joe. To me, it's like the heel grind on my Hopkins, but gets the leading edge even lower to the ground. I hit a few open face shots last night and it wasn't bouncing on me that I noticed.

Good to know. I was comparing it directly to my hopkins heel grind. You can notice the grind on the hopkins, but it seems to be softer transition into the rest of the sole where as with the Nike there is a more aggressive transition from the heel to the rest of the sole.

From what I've read from others that tried the wedge at a Nike event in Vegas a few weeks back, that wasn't a big issue. I still think it's pretty cool that this one could be opened up for lob shots off tight lies, but then work pretty well with a lot of bounce in the sand too.

In the market for some wedges have to give this one a swing

Not sure if it was just the lighting in those original pictures, but the finish on these things look amazing. Almost looks like a satin nickel as opposed to chrome. Looks aside I'm sure with the amount of time and money they put into the R&D of these that they must have discovered something pretty beneficial about this design.

Back