Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point don't we have to give Boise some credit? I mean how many years now in a row have they been good? They seem to be playing a tougher and tougher schedule. They beat a major southern program but it's a off year or they're not that good. I think Boise is a good program and I love seeing them disrupt the BCS crap we have now.

I agree with you Kmac. That Kellen Moore is good too, real good. He was like 28-34 last night. That's remarkable. Boise is definitely the exception and perhaps they do deserve a shot at some point.

At some point don't we have to give Boise some credit? I mean how many years now in a row have they been good? They seem to be playing a tougher and tougher schedule. They beat a major southern program but it's a off year or they're not that good. I think Boise is a good program and I love seeing them disrupt the BCS crap we have now.

I think there is no question that they get some credit. How much more credit do they get than being in a BCS game?
I do fault any system that can reward heavily lack of strength of schedule though and so far the BCS has gotten that right at least.
Yes their schedule has gotten slightly better the last 2 years, but look at their full schedule compared to other teams and its laughable at best.

I think there is no question that they get some credit. How much more credit do they get than being in a BCS game?
I do fault any system that can reward heavily lack of strength of schedule though and so far the BCS has gotten that right at least.
Yes their schedule has gotten slightly better the last 2 years, but look at their full schedule compared to other teams and its laughable at best.

You mean at the end there that they don't play in the SEC right? I do agree about the lack of strength schedule and the BCS getting that right. But I also think this is where a playoff system comes into play. If Boise really isn't that good or deserving of more then a second rate BCS game then a first round playoff exit would be expected. But if they are a better team they'll win and prove themselves and make the championship game. But we know this will never happen with all the money and greed in college sports.

You mean at the end there that they don't play in the SEC right? I do agree about the lack of strength schedule and the BCS getting that right. But I also think this is where a playoff system comes into play. If Boise really isn't that good or deserving of more then a second rate BCS game then a first round playoff exit would be expected. But if they are a better team they'll win and prove themselves and make the championship game. But we know this will never happen with all the money and greed in college sports.

Not just the SEC at all. Any major conference has a harder schedule than they do at this point.
As for the playoff, it isnt coming, so I dont get worked up about it. And lets face it, the BCS has continued to get it right at least in the championship game.
And if we did have an 8 team playoff, then we would just hear arguments about who belongs and who doesnt. There is no difference in my mind.

well the big difference would be that teams would actually play each other vs. having a computer assign points using the Pythagorean Theory...but I agree....the argument would be the same as it is for the NCAA basketball tournament as far as who gets left out etc

Not just the SEC at all. Any major conference has a harder schedule than they do at this point.
As for the playoff, it isnt coming, so I dont get worked up about it. And lets face it, the BCS has continued to get it right at least in the championship game.
And if we did have an 8 team playoff, then we would just hear arguments about who belongs and who doesnt. There is no difference in my mind.

well the big difference would be that teams would actually play each other vs. having a computer assign points using the Pythagorean Theory...but I agree....the argument would be the same as it is for the NCAA basketball tournament as far as who gets left out etc

But they do that now in bowl games Hanks. Im not saying a Tournament is not a better way to find a winner. But the argument for it always seems to forget a lot of issues such as teams dont play each other during the regular season, so there is no way to tell who belongs in the top 8 or so to make the tournament....Just as the issue exists now. If a tournament came to be, you would see a lot of much easier out of conference schedules, that is for sure.

And then all the complaining about the BCS would just be directed at "why did this team get in" and "why did this team get shafted". The truth is that there is no way to ever deal with fanatics that are emotional. And unfortunately (or fortunately) that is what college sports brings out.

yeah that's very true and a good point.....

But they do that now in bowl games Hanks. Im not saying a Tournament is not a better way to find a winner. But the argument for it always seems to forget a lot of issues such as teams dont play each other during the regular season, so there is no way to tell who belongs in the top 8 or so to make the tournament....Just as the issue exists now. If a tournament came to be, you would see a lot of much easier out of conference schedules, that is for sure.

And then all the complaining about the BCS would just be directed at "why did this team get in" and "why did this team get shafted". The truth is that there is no way to ever deal with fanatics that are emotional. And unfortunately (or fortunately) that is what college sports brings out.

And to that I say you can still make it work. You win your conference and you're in. Then you use the BCS to determine exactly where you get seeded and who you play. The wild cards are the independents. And I think it would have to be more then 8 teams. Lots of wrinkles to work out but pay me bowl game cash and I will make it work.

And to that I say you can still make it work. You win your conference and you're in. Then you use the BCS to determine exactly where you get seeded and who you play. The wild cards are the independents. And I think it would have to be more then 8 teams. Lots of wrinkles to work out but pay me bowl game cash and I will make it work.

I dont necessarily disagree with this except a couple of issues. Like you pointed out, the independents cause a major issue. You cannot have independents continue to get treatment that other schools dont have the opportunity of getting. Lets face it, if the Irish decided to schedule all 1AA schools and run the table, there would be some that would say they deserve a shot. And there would be some that would go as far as saying "they are forced to play those teams because of they are not in a conference".

Strength of schedule should play an even bigger role than it does now, but unfortunately, it wont because home and home games dont pay as much as playing Elon at home each year and winning by 75 points and then saying "we are not running up the score".

And if you did make it say 16, then you end up with the same problem as you did with 8. Teams get in and teams get left out. When it comes to college athletics, and fanatics in general, there is no rational thinking for the most part. To me its absolutely no different than the BCS. You still have to deal with strong and weak conferences and you still have to deal with voters. And in the end, as long as there is a human element, they will get things wrong.

Besides Norte dame what are the other major independents?

Besides Norte dame what are the other major independents?

At this time there are not, but there certainly could be if the rules change. And BYU is also at least considered a major, as much as Notre Dame is anyway (talent wise). For this year anyway.

Lets not forget that based on everything we have seen and heard (outside of Athens apparently) UGA was not supposed to beat Boise. Boise is a top ranked team this year and once again will have people at the end of the year saying "but they should be in the NC, because they beat a SEC team". They came and to Athens (which should not have been easy) and whipped UGA pretty badly across the ball on both sides. If UGA is mediocre, it says a lot about Boise and how they would fare against the top teams. If UGA finishes the season strong, it says the opposite. Time will tell, but UGA looked bad to me and it was not because of the stellar play on the other side in my opinion.

In other news South Carolina showed once again that ECU fans can stop with the "whoa is me and BCS stuff". They looked like they were playing against a JV high school defense. Putting up a near 60 spot.

Yeah it was about time they beat us, We have only beaten them 5 of the last 8 times now. I think playing the number 12 team in the country as well as we did speaks alot about where we could finish this season but I'm still worried about the turnovers killing our momentum. Just sloppy playing all game long. I see FSU had their hands full with School of the Mentally Challenged, glad to see they could pull that one out. In other news we play the future ACC champs next week so I look for a tough game again, think I told you that last year but OH NO VT WAS NOT GONNA WIN THE ACC. But it's a game none the less that we have a very good chance to win as we always do because Pirates perserve through haters.

Where in the blue hill did I say FSU was or should get a pass? Just because I went to school there does not mean I am like fanatics. That are so wrapped up in delusion that they discuss violence as an acceptable method to solve problems at sporting events. I mean that is downright ridiculous, embarrassing and absurd rolled up into a pretty little bow...Oh wait.

And once again, we see that objectivity is ruled as hatred...Sound familiar?

Where in the blue hill did I say FSU was or should get a pass? Just because I went to school there does not mean I am like fanatics. That are so wrapped up in delusion that they discuss violence as an acceptable method to solve problems at sporting events. I mean that is downright ridiculous, embarrassing and absurd rolled up into a pretty little bow...Oh wait.

And once again, we see that objectivity is ruled as hatred...Sound familiar?

R O F L

Yeah it was about time they beat us, We have only beaten them 5 of the last 8 times now. I think playing the number 12 team in the country as well as we did speaks alot about where we could finish this season but I'm still worried about the turnovers killing our momentum. Just sloppy playing all game long. I see FSU had their hands full with School of the Mentally Challenged, glad to see they could pull that one out. In other news we play the future ACC champs next week so I look for a tough game again, think I told you that last year but OH NO VT WAS NOT GONNA WIN THE ACC. But it's a game none the less that we have a very good chance to win as we always do because Pirates perserve through haters.

Really? Not this again. I dont understand why you have to act like an 18 year old kid who thinks he owns 6th street in the hood.

Really? Not this again. I dont understand why you have to act like an 18 year old kid who thinks he owns 6th street in the hood.

Nothing better to do on a Sun afternoon in the south...except golf, maybe

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Nothing better to do on a Sun afternoon in the south...except golf, maybe

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

What a great idea you've got there Hanks, I agree.

The Aggies took care of SMU pretty easily last night 46-14. Gotta get some ST adjustments (seems like that is always a weakness) since we had 2 or 3 blocked extra points/FGs. Defense looked good after giving those first 2 touchdowns.

Still think we are a bit over ranked at #8, but I'm not going to complain about a top 10 ranking.

We've got off next week, then Idaho, then a huge matchup with Okie State that should be really interesting.

Anyone else seeing Maryland's ridiculous yellow zebra/weird red pattern jerseys/helmets?

Yeah those gotta be one of the worst so far. Looks like the are in camelot.

Tapping Roll Tide Roll all summer long!

Anyone else seeing Maryland's ridiculous yellow zebra/weird red pattern jerseys/helmets?

And I thought that Georgia's uniforms were ugly Saturday night! Maryland's are the worst yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back