Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEC is overrated. Clearly the Big East is the best conference.

Typical Texas opinion, always overlooking the MAC, jeez.

:D

I just hope Texas doesnt suck again this year. Last year was embarrassing, not even a bowl game. :banghead:

I just hope Texas doesnt suck again this year. Last year was embarrassing, not even a bowl game. :banghead:

Even the die hard UT fans in my office don't see them doing much this year. The one guy that is an A&M fan is all excited about his team this year.

Any hopeless-but-still-cheering-hard fans out there? Lord knows I am. As frustrating as UCLA Football has been, I'd also recommend in a heart beat, tailgaiting at the RoseBowl on a clear sunny day with the mountains as your backdrop. I know I'm biased, but it is one of the most beautiful places to spend a Saturday.

Until the football starts, and then, well, I make no promises.

Also, what do you think about all the re-organization of conferences and the effect the new Texas Longhorn station will have?

Any hopeless-but-still-cheering-hard fans out there? Lord knows I am. As frustrating as UCLA Football has been, I'd also recommend in a heart beat, tailgaiting at the RoseBowl on a clear sunny day with the mountains as your backdrop. I know I'm biased, but it is one of the most beautiful places to spend a Saturday.

Until the football starts, and then, well, I make no promises.

Also, what do you think about all the re-organization of conferences and the effect the new Texas Longhorn station will have?

Rumors here are that UT is going to go independent as soon as next year. One big issue is they have planned on broadcasting high school games on the new "Longhorn" network and the complaint is that that is going to be an unfair recruiting advantage for UT. Seems to me like it will be too if the UIL allows it and I have not heard yet whether they will or not but it is creating tension over it.

Even the die hard UT fans in my office don't see them doing much this year. The one guy that is an A&M fan is all excited about his team this year.

If I have to be honest, I think they dont do very good either. QB situation isnt good and new coaching staff. They have 2 very good freshmen RB's which is good for the years to come. I think they get to a game over .500 but nothing more. Next year and the year after I look for them to get back on track, but not looking to good this year.

Any other Husker fans excited for the first year in the Big Ten? I'm hoping for a fun and exciting season!

Any other Husker fans excited for the first year in the Big Ten? I'm hoping for a fun and exciting season!

Ya know what they call the Big 10 in the south?

JV Football...hehe

Go Vols! :smile-big:

Hell yeah Huskers should win big 10 this year and years to come , big 10 teams really do not know what they are in for. Should be ranked in the top 5 this year, There D is going to be one of there best ever!!!!

Hell yeah Huskers should win big 10 this year and years to come , big 10 teams really do not know what they are in for. Should be ranked in the top 5 this year, There D is going to be one of there best ever!!!!

Leaders or Legends? Big 10 + 2? Big 10 has completely fallen apart, and Nebraska is waltzing in to the perfect situation. That would be like one of the upper SEC schools just taking a stroll over to the Big Easy, I mean Big East...HELLO Auto-BCS Bid!

Leaders or Legends? Big 10 + 2? Big 10 has completely fallen apart, and Nebraska is waltzing in to the perfect situation. That would be like one of the upper SEC schools just taking a stroll over to the Big Easy, I mean Big East...HELLO Auto-BCS Bid!

And thats nebraska's fault? , they were talkin about jumpin over to the big 10 2 yrs ago , yes i agree big 10 does need some help that is why they asked nebraska to come in. Plus not to sure i would compare the big 10 and the big east

And thats nebraska's fault? , they were talkin about jumpin over to the big 10 2 yrs ago , yes i agree big 10 does need some help that is why they asked nebraska to come in. Plus not to sure i would compare the big 10 and the big east

Didnt say it was Nebraska's fault. Was actually saying that Nebraska is walking into a golden situation, that should bolt them up in the rankings.

Didnt say it was Nebraska's fault. Was actually saying that Nebraska is walking into a golden situation, that should bolt them up in the rankings.

Should be fun to see them play Penn st , Mich and yes even Ohio st think big 12 was gettin a little stale , going to miss fri after thanksgiving against the Buffs though

http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-aggies-intend-join-sec-school-official-says

Texas A&M intends to move from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference, where it hopes to begin play in 2012, school officials have said.

After 15 years in the Big 12, Texas A&M has been considering the switch for the second time in a year.

A high-ranking source within Texas A&M confirmed to ESPN's Doug Gottlieb on Saturday morning the Aggies were poised to join the SEC. The San Antonio Express-News reported the time frame of their tentative plans to begin competition.

Several possible roadblocks remain, however.

All but one of the SEC's school presidents will meet Sunday to discuss A&M's admission to the league, The New York Times has reported, citing a high-ranking conference official with first-hand knowledge of the talks.

And the Big 12's athletic directors have scheduled a 4 p.m. ET conference call with commissioner Dan Beebe to discuss the situation, multiple conference sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

The SEC official said there was still a 30 percent to 40 percent chance the Aggies would not get enough votes for an invitation to the league, The Times reported. And the issue of needing to add a 14th team along with A&M remained, the newspaper reported.

"We realize if we do this, we have to have the 14th," the SEC official said. "No name has been thrown out. This thing is much slower out of the chute than the media and blogs have made it."

The official told The Times that Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin called SEC commissioner Mike Slive three weeks ago and said the Aggies regretted not leaving the Big 12 for the SEC last summer.

Two weeks ago, Slive and SEC lawyers met with A&M officials, when the league requested that the school work out the possible legal ramifications surrounding its contract with the Big 12, the report said.

"They have a contract now," the SEC official said, according to The Times. "We're very sensitive about being part of breaking a contract. What we asked them to do was to go settle their issues and not have us be on the table as the agent of causing them to leave."

The SEC now likely will pursue Florida State, Clemson and Missouri, a source told ESPN's Gottlieb, though Missouri athletic director Mike Alden said the school was not in talks with any conferences about a possible move.

"No, no, no," Alden told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Saturday, before reaffirming the school's commitment to the Big 12, in whatever form that might be.

Florida State president Eric Barron also has said the Seminoles haven't had any talks about the school leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference for the SEC. Still, he didn't say it would never happen.

"I don't think there is anything to talk about right now," Barron said Friday. "I don't speculate when there's no conversation."

The Texas A&M board of regents will convene for a special meeting Monday that includes an agenda item about conference alignment.

The item, part of the executive session agenda, is called: "Authorization for the President to Take All Actions Relating to Texas A&M University's Athletic Conference Alignment, The Texas A&M University System."

The Texas legislature also has called a meeting. On Tuesday, the Texas House Committee on Higher Education is set to discuss realignment, a meeting to which Big 12, SEC and Texas A&M officials have been invited.

"There are millions of dollars at stake," Texas Rep. Dan Branch said Friday. "And this could affect students at other schools like Texas, Texas Tech and Baylor."

The Big 12 believes it could withstand the loss of A&M, with Texas and Oklahoma remaining as anchor schools. If A&M were to leave, the Big 12 could consider Houston as a replacement to the TV market.

One possible reason for Texas A&M's renewed interest in leaving the Big 12 could be because the school isn't happy about The Longhorn Network -- created through a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN.

The Big 12 says A&M's issues with the Longhorn Network are being addressed. And it is focused on the significance of maintaining regional rivalries and geographic relevance.

But it was political pressure and legislature that played a key role in the Big 12 staying together last summer, when parts nearly broke off to join the Pac-12.

The Big 12 looked to be in trouble last summer when Nebraska and Colorado left the conference and several other schools were courted by the Pac-10. Texas decided to stay in the Big 12, which made it much easier for Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State to remain in the league as well.

Rumor's around here are Texas wants to go independent and the SEC wants A&M, OU, OSU, and Mizzou. Just rumors yes but itf A&M leaves the Big Whatever-We-Call-It-Now is more done than it already is.

Rumor's around here are Texas wants to go independent and the SEC wants A&M, OU, OSU, and Mizzou. Just rumors yes but itf A&M leaves the Big Whatever-We-Call-It-Now is more done than it already is.

I can see A&M, but I doubt Mizzou, OU, and OSU come over. Will probably pick up another East Coast school. Bring Ga. Tech back!

I can see A&M, but I doubt Mizzou, OU, and OSU come over. Will probably pick up another East Coast school. Bring Ga. Tech back!

I agree, but, sadly enough I think it all hinges on Texas. No matter what OU/OSU will not be split because our state government simply wouldn't ever let that happen.

If A&M leaves like it look like they will, the Big Whatever needs to dissolve because really what the hell good is Houston going to do and you already let TCU get away.

Yeah big 12/10/Texas' Sloppy Seconds or whatever you want to call it are definitely in a world of hurt. Wasn't Texas debating independence and their own network last year? Hmmm... Perhaps Colorado saw the writing on the wall and left when the getting was good. I can't see the Oklahoma's leaving either... they'd probably try and get into the Big 10 at that point I think? Not that you can just ask to get in there... unless you're Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back