Official Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or midwesterners.

My dad and I call it "bend over and pick it up." Oy.

It's hard!

what the heck is paddle tennis!

anyone else love to play badminton!

Badminton_Extreme.jpg

Wait, I wikied it...

I was right, it is bend over and pick it up. :wink:

The game has its origins in England as an after-dinner amusement for upper-class Victorians in the 1880s. Mimicking the game of tennis in an indoor environment, everyday objects were originally enlisted to act as the equipment. A line of books would be the net, a rounded top of a champagne cork or knot of string as the ball, and a cigar box lid as the racket[2].

Table tennis evolved into the modern game in Europe, the United States and Japan.[3] The popularity of the game led game manufacturers to sell the equipment commercially. Early rackets were often pieces of parchment stretched upon a frame, and the sound generated in play gave the game its first nicknames of "whiff-whaff" and "Ping-pong."

Fine, "ping pong." :roll:

(Sounds so racist or something. I wonder where it came from.)

anyone notice the "gong" effect used in the arcade for mahjong solitaire... talk about racist lol

No, no, no! It's an outdoor game. From Wiki:

Paddle tennis is a game adapted from tennis and played for over a century. Compared to tennis, the court is smaller and has no doubles lanes, and the net is lower. Paddle tennis is played with a solid paddle as opposed to a strung racquet, and a depressurized tennis ball is used along with an underhand serve. The same court is used for both singles and doubles, with doubles being the dominant form of play. The smaller court size adds a strong emphasis and advantage to net play and creates a fast and reaction-based game.

You play outside in cold weather. There's a net all the way around the court and you can play off the net as well. It's the winter sport for many golfers.

No, no, no! It's an outdoor game. From Wiki:

You play outside in cold weather. There's a net all the way around the court and you can play off the net as well. It's the winter sport for many golfers.

hmm... I have never seen that!

I'm sorry but I don't really find Wiki as a reliable source.

neither do I but in this case... a sport I'll use it

I have honestly never seen this game before. I wonder if it's popular here in Mass. or not

Okay, Dan, do it--beat me to it.

DD,
That is pretty impressive and we are glad you did it here. Your time at THP has been great and we love having you as a part of these forums. Congrats.

DD,
That is pretty impressive and we are glad you did it here. Your time at THP has been great and we love having you as a part of these forums. Congrats.

Thanks Josh... I have enjoyed my time here THP, the many great products I have helped review, the new brands I have been opened up to, but more importantly the great people that I have met. I know its an internet forum but in todays ever growing technical and electronic world everyone here is part of my life and feels like family here.

Reactions: JB
Well said, and we agree completely.

Claire you are close and so is Smalls. We could have all three of you hit it on the same day. Very cool

if work is slow this what I do to pass time... the market down turn has really slowed everything down. At first there were massive redemption requests, but now people are just doing nothing... very little trading on our end.

I was under the impression that the "shuttlecock" was the actual ball used in the game...

I was under the impression that the "shuttlecock" was the actual ball used in the game...

You are correct, but Shuttle Cock is what the cool kids call it. Its the slang.

You are correct, but Shuttle Cock is what the cool kids call it. Its the slang.

Badminton is a really fun sport, along with ping pong and tennis. I remember talking to lange one time on the golf course, it kinda went like this.

Dent: "I'm actually really good at a lot of racket sports, you know? Like Badminton, Tingtong..."

Lange "Tingtong?"

Dent: "I meant to say Ping pong and tennis, but they got mixed into one."

Since smallie made his post, I am going to congradulate him here. Congrats on 2000 posts. You are a big part of this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back