Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been wrong a whole lot. But our friend at the Globe said he was in deed up there meeting with the team this morning.

He has been wrong a whole lot. But our friend at the Globe said he was in deed up there meeting with the team this morning.

Ed Price is reporting it too. That would be a nice 1-2 for the Sox.

I'm sooo sad that Jason Bay won't be returning to Boston...

What will I do with my Jason Bay #44 shirt??? :confused2:

I'm sooo sad that Jason Bay won't be returning to Boston...

What will I do with my Jason Bay #44 shirt??? :confused2:

I know he said he is moving on but I still think there is a chance he will stay with Boston.
They say he really wants to go to Seattle.

I know he said he is moving on but I still think there is a chance he will stay with Boston.
They say he really wants to go to Seattle.

But Seattle is an up and coming team...hmmmm....maybe its because he lives there during the off season :confused2: I really hope he decides to come back to Boston!! They all get along there :D

I know he grew up in Vancuver and his wife is from that area as well.

Mariners, Phillies, and Blue Jays could be possibly be done with the Halladay deal. Did not see this one coming with Cliff Lee leaving.

Mariners, Phillies, and Blue Jays could be possibly be done with the Halladay deal. Did not see this one coming with Cliff Lee leaving.

Man, this is big.
So far :
to Phils:Halladay
to Mariners: Clif Lee
to Toronto: Pitcher Phillippe Aumont(M's)
outfielder Michael Taylor (Phillies)

I might have to retract my earlier statements on Rosenthal. He was talking about this last week and everyone blew him off.

That would be an interesting move for the Phils. Halladay is a beast, but not sure they are gaining a whole lot with the Lee / Halladay swap. Isn't Lee younger too?

Isn't Lee younger too?

He is but I think contract extension talks ended and he wants to test the free agent market. The move makes sense from the Phillies end of it. They dont weaken their rotation and they still have an ace for 2011.

He is but I think contract extension talks ended and he wants to test the free agent market. The move makes sense from the Phillies end of it. They dont weaken their rotation and they still have an ace for 2011.

I thought Halladay's contract ended after 2010 as well? Or is it assumed the Phillies will make sure they can extend him, as part of this deal? I know I read that Halladay wanted to sign an extension if he went somewhere, so it didn't sound like that would be a problem. I definitely see the pro's then if they felt they wouldn't be able to resign Lee, but could get Halladay and sign him to an extension. That makes sense.

I think part of the deal is that they get a window to extend Halladays contract. Supposedly Roy is in Philly.

Lackey in Boston

Lackey in Boston

With the Lee/Halliday development, and Lackey apparently in Boston, am I the only one thinking LA has a big problem? Seattle had 85 wins and adds Lee and Figgins, LA had 97 and subtracts Lackey, Guerrero, and I have to say losing Figgins and picking up Matsui could at best be a wash (assume career DH year for Matsui and Figgins suffers with weaker lineup), but far more likely another step down. Did Seattle overachieve in 09?

If not, I have to think Holliday's and probably Ben Sheet's agents have the Angels on the phone, with Juan Rivera packing his bags for some bullpen help.

With the Lee/Halliday development, and Lackey apparently in Boston, am I the only one thinking LA has a big problem? Seattle had 85 wins and adds Lee and Figgins, LA had 97 and subtracts Lackey, Guerrero, and I have to say losing Figgins and picking up Matsui could at best be a wash (assume career DH year for Matsui and Figgins suffers with weaker lineup), but far more likely another step down. Did Seattle overachieve in 09?

I still dont understand going with Matsui over sticking with Guerrero. The Angels always seem to find a way to get it done, but I think the division is going to be between the Mariners and Rangers this year.

PS: Lets agree not to call them Los Angeles anymore, they are from Orange County.

Juan Pierre just got dealt to the White Sox for a couple of minor leaguers. The Dodgers will pick up half of his contract.

The Cardinals have supposedly offered a 6 year 15 million per deal to Matt Holliday.

The Cardinals have supposedly offered a 6 year 15 million per deal to Matt Holliday.

Local paper has mentioned (don't know if it is confirmed or if they are speculating, didn't cite a source) that the deal has been sweetened to 8 years at just over 16 per. On top of that, there are some player options, opt outs, no-trade type stuff included as well. If he doesn't come back to the Redbirds, it has nothing to do with what was offered by the club. Pretty sweet deal. Maybe not the most money ever, but they story mentioned that they have gone overboard with the perks and years.

Just heard the Cliff Lee-Roy Halladay is done. I think that is what they just said on the radio.

Local paper has mentioned (don't know if it is confirmed or if they are speculating, didn't cite a source) that the deal has been sweetened to 8 years at just over 16 per. On top of that, there are some player options, opt outs, no-trade type stuff included as well. If he doesn't come back to the Redbirds, it has nothing to do with what was offered by the club. Pretty sweet deal. Maybe not the most money ever, but they story mentioned that they have gone overboard with the perks and years.

So if Holliday signs, what happens to Albert? Was he bluffing? Does he sign for a hometown discount?

So if Holliday signs, what happens to Albert? Was he bluffing? Does he sign for a hometown discount?

The speculation between myself and my other Cardinal fans is that he will sign to end his career here. Most likely there would be a hometown discount, but it would still be pretty big. Probably anywhere from 18-22 per year for however many more years he thinks he wants to play. I think he has this year and then 2011 is a club option. So he is locked in for the next couple of years at least.

He has said all along that he is not concerned with contract talks now. I believe him, he loves St. Louis and the community and has really dug his roots in here. The big thing with him is the team competing. Having Holliday for the rest of his career would be a good start. Then we would have to get Wainwright long term. They have the revenue to be a solid team as long as they want to. The other wildcard is the manager. He likes Larussa but he won't be around forever. I think his big hangup is if Larussa leaves, he wants to make sure he will be comfortable with a new manager. Speculation is that Oquendo will be the next manager when TLR leaves, and that is what Albert wants. If not, who knows what may happen.

The speculation between myself and my other Cardinal fans is that he will sign to end his career here. Most likely there would be a hometown discount, but it would still be pretty big. Probably anywhere from 18-22 per year for however many more years he thinks he wants to play. I think he has this year and then 2011 is a club option. So he is locked in for the next couple of years at least.

He has said all along that he is not concerned with contract talks now. I believe him, he loves St. Louis and the community and has really dug his roots in here. The big thing with him is the team competing. Having Holliday for the rest of his career would be a good start. Then we would have to get Wainwright long term. They have the revenue to be a solid team as long as they want to. The other wildcard is the manager. He likes Larussa but he won't be around forever. I think his big hangup is if Larussa leaves, he wants to make sure he will be comfortable with a new manager. Speculation is that Oquendo will be the next manager when TLR leaves, and that is what Albert wants. If not, who knows what may happen.

Good move on their part. Assuming the staff stays healthy, I have the Cards and Phils as the class of the NL. You must be relieved that the Phils do not have both Lee and Halliday. What a nightmare that would be in a short series.

Good move on their part. Assuming the staff stays healthy, I have the Cards and Phils as the class of the NL. You must be relieved that the Phils do not have both Lee and Halliday. What a nightmare that would be in a short series.

I might be a little biased but the Dodgers youngsters arent too shabby either. Depending on what happens with this whole divorce, we should be right back in the playoffs again.

I might be a little biased but the Dodgers youngsters arent too shabby either. Depending on what happens with this whole divorce, we should be right back in the playoffs again.

I like the Dodgers, but have them a tier below the Phils and Cards. Excellent chance to make the playoffs if all remains equal, but very little depth, and I don't see the staff matching up well in a short series. Then again, I had the Cards and Bosox in the 09 Series, so what do I know? You could make a small fortune betting against my picks.

So the A's are in on the Halladay trade. Michael Taylor(Phillies) is being spun off for Brett Wallace( A's) who was part of the Holliday/Street deal to Toronto. Who will play him at first and also means the end of Overbay in Toronto.

Matsui to the Angels :) and Lackey to the Red Sox....

Olney is reporting that the Yankees are close to signing Nick Johnson for 1 year 5.5 million. I dont really get that deal. Will he DH or just be a bench guy.

The Dodgers are also close on a deal for Aaron Harrang from the Reds. Im excited about this one. He seems like a guy who could use a change in scenery.

Olney is reporting that the Yankees are close to signing Nick Johnson for 1 year 5.5 million. I dont really get that deal. Will he DH or just be a bench guy.

The Dodgers are also close on a deal for Aaron Harrang from the Reds. Im excited about this one. He seems like a guy who could use a change in scenery.

Harrang does need a change of scenery. He has a stiff neck from looking at balls leaving the yard in Cincy.

Harrang does need a change of scenery. He has a stiff neck from looking at balls leaving the yard in Cincy.

Ya but not as bad as when Milton was there. What idiot signs a fly ball pitcher in that park, Harrang has a nasty sinker when its working at least.The guy was top five in CY Young voting a few years back and has stunk up the joint the last two years. Im hoping just the fact of him not having the pressure of being the number 1 might help, he would slip in to the number 4 spot in LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back