Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya but not as bad as when Milton was there. What idiot signs a fly ball pitcher in that park, Harrang has a nasty sinker when its working at least.The guy was top five in CY Young voting a few years back and has stunk up the joint the last two years. Im hoping just the fact of him not having the pressure of being the number 1 might help, he would slip in to the number 4 spot in LA.

I dont understand why the Dodgers did not get involved at any point ( either now or during the season) in trade talks for Halladay. They really culd use a true #1 infron of that rotation. Oh well. :confused2:

Looks like the Milton Bradley to the Mariners for Carlos Silva deal is almost complete. Suckers.

I dont understand why the Dodgers did not get involved at any point ( either now or during the season) in trade talks for Halladay. They really culd use a true #1 infron of that rotation. Oh well. :confused2:

The problem is the Dodgers did not have what the Phils offered in terms of prospects, and with the McCourt divorce battle, they were in no position to give Halliday the long-term $$$ he wanted.

Given the environment and restrictions they faced, I think the Dodgers did the sane thing. They have a solid team and are easily a playoff contender as is; if the rotation matures, they could be a handful in the playoffs.

The problem is the Dodgers did not have what the Phils offered in terms of prospects, and with the McCourt divorce battle, they were in no position to give Halliday the long-term $$$ he wanted.

Given the environment and restrictions they faced, I think the Dodgers did the sane thing. They have a solid team and are easily a playoff contender as is; if the rotation matures, they could be a handful in the playoffs.

I think it is the divorce more than anything, we have some great prospects. The other thing I heard was that the Jays wanted either Kershaw or Billingsley in the deal and the Dodgers just werent willing to part with them.

This divorce is really starting to freak people out. I can deal with not making any big signings but the thought of salary dumps are what scares me. Its getting pretty messy.

The Yankees are about to get Javier Vasquez from the Braves for Melky Cabrera. I believe he was # 4 in Cy Young voting this year but I dont think its a good fit for him in NY.

The Yankees are about to get Javier Vasquez from the Braves for Melky Cabrera. I believe he was # 4 in Cy Young voting this year but I dont think its a good fit for him in NY.

He may actually work out for them in the sense he can be a solid 3 or 4....this means they'll just baby Joba that much more

He (Vasquez) will probably be the #4 and that will take all the pressure off him. He did not do well when he was called upon to be a #1 but as a 4 he should do fine.

Spot on, Gas. He did not look very comfortable in his first stint with the Yanks, and facing the AL East lineups is a world of difference from the NL East. We lose an above average to excellent defensive outfielder with a decent bat for another 30-something pitcher. Where are they going to get anyone near his quality for his money? Singing Ben Sheets with an incentive-based contract would have made more sense.

Aww...that's too bad...I liked Melky Cabrera on the Yankees :(

Spot on, Gas. He did not look very comfortable in his first stint with the Yanks, and facing the AL East lineups is a world of difference from the NL East. We lose an above average to excellent defensive outfielder with a decent bat for another 30-something pitcher. Where are they going to get anyone near his quality for his money? Singing Ben Sheets with an incentive-based contract would have made more sense.

I would of gone with Sheets or Bedard. The Yankees are claiming he had a different arm slot when he was with them before and thats why he did not work out. If anything they get a innings eater.

I would of gone with Sheets or Bedard. The Yankees are claiming he had a different arm slot when he was with them before and thats why he did not work out. If anything they get a innings eater.

Agreed, I see a repeat of his 04 ERA, maybe even higher, new Yankee Stadium doesn't mask mistakes they way old Yankee Stadium did.

Agreed, I see a repeat of his 04 ERA, maybe even higher, new Yankee Stadium doesn't mask mistakes they way old Yankee Stadium did.

Damn, I didn't even think of that aspect. Nice catch.

Originally Posted by TheGasman

I agree with Sheets, but not Bedard. I can only assume that Sheets asking price was too high. It is a sign of how depleted the pitching pool is when damaged arms can ask for multiple years at seven figures.

Last edited:
I agree with Sheets, but not Bedard. I can only assume that Sheets asking price was too high. It is a sign of how depleted the pitching pool is when damaged arms can ask for multiple years at seven figures.

well if owners keep paying it they are going to ask for it. If the owners try to get some control over the situation the players say collusion :banghead:

i think they should make as much as possible. why not? if your boss came in and told you that he was giving you a 17 million dollar raise b/c you say you are worth that much, would you turn it down?

i think they should make as much as possible. why not? if your boss came in and told you that he was giving you a 17 million dollar raise b/c you say you are worth that much, would you turn it down?

No but that is unlikely... I think baseball players and all professional athletes in general should get paid like the rest of us, based on the performance of the job they do. I have no problem whatsoever paying someone like Albert Puljos a great deal of money because he goes out and deserves it year after year.

I think there should be a baseline, say $250,000 (pretty good money if you ask me), then add performance incentives such at a $250,000 bonus for the power hitter to reach 10,15,20,25, etc homeruns, 80,90,100 rbis and the same for the speed players (with runs or stolen bases) or pitchers. Similarly, if you have a bad season you will make less money. It could work in football and other sports as well. I am so sick of these players not playing with any drive or determination, they get the big contract and then go in the toilet and the fan is left havin to help cover the cost of the contract by having hot dogs cost $7.00 and a beer cost $12. Earn the money every year like we all have to, you will see a more competative marketplace.

Looks like Jason Bay will be a Met next year. 4 years 64 million, there will be a press conference next week.

I think the chips will fall now for Holliday to the Cards. I don't think there is anyone else that has the money to spend that will spend that much. My hunch is that Boras was holding out so he knew he got the better deal of the two players. Now that we know what the market is, I'll bet it gets done within a week or two.

I think the chips will fall now for Holliday to the Cards. I don't think there is anyone else that has the money to spend that will spend that much. My hunch is that Boras was holding out so he knew he got the better deal of the two players. Now that we know what the market is, I'll bet it gets done within a week or two.

Unless the Yankees swoop in. Im hoping not but can you really see them going with Gardner in left field? Unless of course they stick with Damon.

Unless the Yankees swoop in. Im hoping not but can you really see them going with Gardner in left field? Unless of course they stick with Damon.

That is the one team that scares me with this whole thing. I have heard Cashman say that they were done spending big money, but I don't believe it. They have the available money and need a left fielder. It would not surprise me at all. I guess there are more big names coming available after next year and they want to make a play for some of them and not tie up the dollars with a bunch of guys this year.

I dont see the Yankees going after him.

But would you be surprised if they did? Unless im wrong, which I usually am, the Yankees came out of no where for Texeira. Remember everyone thought he was either going to the Sox, Nats or the Orioles.

That is what some media was reporting, but Gammons said the Yankees or Sox from Day one on Texeira. Then again you can say that with just about every FA nowadays.

I think the Nats had the biggest offer out there but who would want to play for them. :laughing:
Seriously though, I think the Natinals might have the highest win/loss turn around this year. Im not talking wild card but I can see them coming out of the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back