Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying the Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Cubs can't afford those players? That reasoning is absurd because you know they can but they just don't want to and hide under the veil of "We can't afford them".

I believe if I divided the league into 32nds, the Dodgers would be towards the bottom. :D
The Dodgers can afford players but usually always get outbid by the Yankees. Its just the way it is, look at CC. The guy publicly said many times he wanted to play on the west coast, specifically the Dodgers but they just didnt want to step up to anywhere near the Yankees offer. A lot of the times its not the amount of money but the years New York is willing to go to. I know the Dodgers werent willing to go more then 5 years with him. Thats just the way it is, I dont see how it is going to hurt us.
The Dodgers are going a different route anyways. Their payroll will come in around 100 but I read that about 18 million of that is differed, they still managed to shed some and look to be competitive this year.

Calling the Dodgers near the bottom is a little crazy TGM. 100 million in payroll is far from the bottom.

I'd be ashamed if I was your math teacher. Do the numbers. In the our world 30 divided by 3 = 10 is it not? There's a high 1/3, a middle 1/3, and a low 1/3 correct? #8 in the scale would go in... go ahead count on your fingers. Your math is incorrect as I have been saying all along.

Right = within the rules right? Ok so it's semantics... let's just say the Yanks are privileged and allowed. Is that better or are you going lecture me on your brand of grammar too just like your math?

Are you saying the Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Cubs can't afford those players? That reasoning is absurd because you know they can but they just don't want to and hide under the veil of "We can't afford them".

I've been saying that you go your way and I'll go mine all along and you keep spouting out these bizarre correlations that are just ludicrous. I have always kept an open mind with you Nike and some of your arguments do have merit but I'll have to take a pass on this one now because it has taken up way too much of my time already. I'm sure I'll run into you again on another thread. Good bye.

Yes, obviously I know 8 out of 30 isn't a "middle" number (I hope you didn't think I couldn't use 2nd grade math to know that). But average out the figures. It's going to be weighted towards the front because the Yankees are the biggest spenders BY SUCH A LARGE NUMBER.

So, in relative terms, having the eight largest payroll is a middle market team.

Whether any other team can afford the players that the Yankees can is pretty much irrelevent. But to answer it anyway, I will say that no other team can do it EVERY YEAR like the Yankees can.

I don't think I'm spouting any bizarre correlations of any kind. I think you understand the jist of what I've been saying all along. And, besides the nit picking of certain terms, I think it's been a pretty cut and dry issue here.

And, like I said. There is no need to go overboard or take this too seriously to the point of getting upset.

I sure haven't.:act-up:

Calling the Dodgers near the bottom is a little crazy TGM. 100 million in payroll is far from the bottom.

It was a joke based off of somebody's numbers. I think we were still in the top ten last year and hopefully it will stay that way. This divorce is just about to start getting nasty. We are definitely slipping and we are one of the largest markets, the local papers are really hammering McCourt.

It was a joke based off of somebody's numbers. I think we were still in the top ten last year and hopefully it will stay that way. This divorce is just about to start getting nasty. We are definitely slipping and we are one of the largest markets, the local papers are really hammering McCourt.

Yeah, I saw they are cutting payroll. They said just last night taht the payroll would be about 95 million based on their rosters as of right now.

Yeah, I saw they are cutting payroll. They said just last night taht the payroll would be about 95 million based on their rosters as of right now.

Ya right around there. At first it sounds bad but when you look at it, they are pretty much putting out the same team that got us to the NLCS the last two years. Minus Wolf and Hudson of course but the cut is mostly because of the younger players whose salaries arent as high. I just wonder if Kershaw and Billingsley are going to step up and take us to the promised land.

If you guys havent seen Kershaw pitch yet, you should try and catch a game where he pitches. He really looks to be something special. Left handed, a fastball in the mid 90s and a hook that makes major league hitters look stupid. It was nice to see him pick Maddux's brain a few seasons ago and I just read an article about how he has been clinging to Sandy Koufax when he is around. I think he is only 22 too, those are some good guys to look up to.

If you guys havent seen Kershaw pitch yet, you should try and catch a game where he pitches. He really looks to be something special. Left handed, a fastball in the mid 90s and a hook that makes major league hitters look stupid. It was nice to see him pick Maddux's brain a few seasons ago and I just read an article about how he has been clinging to Sandy Koufax when he is around. I think he is only 22 too, those are some good guys to look up to.

That is almost word for word what I wrote about Kazmir when the Rays got him....Hmmmm

That is almost word for word what I wrote about Kazmir when the Rays got him....Hmmmm

Oh come on JB, dont jinx the kid. :act-up:

I think Kazmir also worked with Koufax. Fred Wilpan, the owner of the Mets, is a life long friend of Sandys and he brings him into camp every year. Not only was Kazmir always hurt but wasn he a head case? I want to see what happens to him with a full season in Anaheim.

Oh come on JB, dont jinx the kid. :act-up:

I think Kazmir also worked with Koufax. Fred Wilpan, the owner of the Mets, is a life long friend of Sandys and he brings him into camp every year. Not only was Kazmir always hurt but wasn he a head case? I want to see what happens to him with a full season in Anaheim.

he was hurt a lot. His biggest problem has always been pitch count. he tries to strike everybody out rather than let the ball be in play. Therefore he goes to full counts every batter and walks too many and was out of hte game by the 5th inning.

he was hurt a lot. His biggest problem has always been pitch count. he tries to strike everybody out rather than let the ball be in play. Therefore he goes to full counts every batter and walks too many and was out of hte game by the 5th inning.

That always seems to be the biggest problem with young pitchers, usually power pitchers. When they hit 100 pitches in the 4th inning, you know your bullpen is going to be hurting towards the end of the season. Billingsley has that problem with us but Kershaw usually gets into the 7th inning. They need to trust their stuff and pitch to contact.
Im going to say Kershaw wins the CY Young this year in the NL.

That always seems to be the biggest problem with young pitchers, usually power pitchers. When they hit 100 pitches in the 4th inning, you know your bullpen is going to be hurting towards the end of the season. Billingsley has that problem with us but Kershaw usually gets into the 7th inning. They need to trust their stuff and pitch to contact.
Im going to say Kershaw wins the CY Young this year in the NL.

Ummm really? I will say that Doc is going to light up the NL and look like the greatest pitcher ever now that he does not have to face the AL East lineups.

Ummm really? I will say that Doc is going to light up the NL and look like the greatest pitcher ever now that he does not have to face the AL East lineups.

I think Doc will be great but will get rocked a few times in that park. The NL Cy Young is coming out of the West again this year. I think it will be Clayton but Lincecum and Haren have good chances at it too.

With the lack of hitting in the division overall, you may just be right. But the NL has not seen Doc before for long periods of time. I say 21 wins and an ERA of 2.5

I think Doc will be great but will get rocked a few times in that park. The NL Cy Young is coming out of the West again this year. I think it will be Clayton but Lincecum and Haren have good chances at it too.

If he can recover from last year... Brandon Webb. The dude can dominate. Doc will have days especially in that phone booth but he'll get his 20 and a low 3 ERA. He'll be in the running for the Cy.

With the lack of hitting in the division overall, you may just be right. But the NL has not seen Doc before for long periods of time. I say 21 wins and an ERA of 2.5

I think Doc gets 18 wins but the ERA should be right if not lower, the question is does he make it the whole season. Kershaw had a 2.79 ERA last year but kept getting no decisions and finished 8-8, plus he was only 21.

I am with JB on this one. Doc around 2.5 with over 20 wins. If he can keep his ERA under 3 when he has to face the Yanks and Sox 10 times a season, he will keep it a lot lower facing the Mets and Braves.

Cy Young for Doc

I saw that Phil Hughes won the #5 spot in the rotation pushing the New Messiah " Joba" to the bullpen. I dont understand the way they have handled Chamberlin. Its obvious they want him take over for Mo when he retires but it seems like they are really going to screw him up mentally.

Cliff Lee looks to be heading the DL route with a strained abdomin.

The Dodgers named Vincente Padilla opening day starter. It seems to be a head scratcher in LA but it does line up Kershaw to pitch the home opener, which is cool.

I saw that Phil Hughes won the #5 spot in the rotation pushing the New Messiah " Joba" to the bullpen. I dont understand the way they have handled Chamberlin. Its obvious they want him take over for Mo when he retires but it seems like they are really going to screw him up mentally.

Cliff Lee looks to be heading the DL route with a strained abdomin.

The Dodgers named Vincente Padilla opening day starter. It seems to be a head scratcher in LA but it does line up Kershaw to pitch the home opener, which is cool.

I have never understood the thinking either behind what they were doing with Joba. I guess one look at the Cubs with Wood and Prior and maybe working them too much too soon ruined both of them, but they tout Joba as the second coming and he has never done anything. All you here is that they want to ease him in and not overwork him. Before long he will be in his 30's and past his prime by pitching to righty's in the 7th inning. A few years ago when the Cards brought Wainwright up they put him in the bullpen for a season then made him a starter the next year. He was handled carefully, but it wan't overdone, and now he is one of the better starters in the NL. Maybe Joba just plain sucks.

Padilla opening day is kind of a head scratcher. Maybe they are banking on his Game 3 NLDS performance carrying over to the new year. They may just be thinking about Kershaw at home. A few local people made a big deal about Carp v Waino for opening day. It lined out the same way. One would pitch the season opener on the road and the other will pitch the home opener a week later. Works out good for both in either situation.

A few years ago when the Cards brought Wainwright up they put him in the bullpen for a season then made him a starter the next year. He was handled carefully, but it wan't overdone, and now he is one of the better starters in the NL.

Wainwright is really turning into a stud. He should be right there in the Cy Young voting again. What happened in the playoffs?:D
I think your right about them not wanting Joba to turn into a Woods or Prior but Baker is known to abuse his pitcher. I just dont want to have to hear another season about the Joba rules. Its time for the kid to **** or get off the pot.

I saw Joba pitch a couple of times in NY and the guys wreaks of closer and not a starter. I didn't understand the whole let's make Joba a starter garbage when the guy should have been groomed to take over for Mariano when he retires. The guy has two decent pitches and they tried installing more. I say just work on your strengths and dominate that way rather than tinker.

Being the Yankees I always thought that their starters be an even balance all the way through the rotation being that they are in the playoffs more times than not. I understand the CC signing because he's rare (a power pitcher that pitches deep) but they need innings eaters more than anyone. That's why the Joba power pitching starter experiment is such crap. Put him in the pen, let him do middle relief and do spot closing for Mo and call it a day.

It could be that Hughes doesn't have what it takes to be in the pen. He never seemed like a RP whenever I watched him pitch. Joba seems to have a bit more flexibility.

That being said, there is the old saying "Jack of all trades but master of none"

Hopefully Lee isn't on the DL for long. I was excited to see what these new Mariners were all about.

It could be that Hughes doesn't have what it takes to be in the pen. He never seemed like a RP whenever I watched him pitch. Joba seems to have a bit more flexibility.

That being said, there is the old saying "Jack of all trades but master of none"

Hopefully Lee isn't on the DL for long. I was excited to see what these new Mariners were all about.

Actually Phil could be a better starter. He lacks confidence and being righty it hurts him because he'll allow that occasional long ball to that short porch in right. He's got some pitches but he lacks consistency.

I am not worried about Phil in the rotation, I always thought it was the smarter idea to keep Joba in the pen. Just like Rivera did with Wettland, Joba should be Mariano's set-up guy till it is time to become the closer.

Hughes did look pretty dam good setting up Mo last year though. I agree with the switch though.

Joba seems to have a bit more flexibility.

...and girth. Other than 1st base, it's the one position that allows the girth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back